• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Healthy Baking: Substituting Diet Soda in Cake Mixes

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, soda, and Jell-O. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.3. Pour mixture into prepared skillet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in skillet for 10 minutes.4. Frost cooled cake with Cool Whip Free and raspberry Jell-O.
chef.katie
I have a host that says at her Weight Watchers meeting somebody mentioned that you could put diet soda in a cake mix to make it healthier. Has anyone ever done this before? How did the cake come out? What did you substitute the soda for?

I know you can put diet soda in the Beer Bread mix.
As far as cake goes... I don't know, maybe replace the water, or milk or whatever it calls for with soda?
It reminds me ~ ~ my mom has made a Coca-Cola cake for years... yum!

It is crazy but it does work. You just take a box of cake mix add can of soda, and mix. That is it and it turns out great. I have tried different flavors to make a variety of different ones. White cake mix with Diet Rite kiwi Strawberry is excellent.

it makes a great cake. For the frosting I add a little bit of kool-aid mix to cool whip and it comes out great.:)

Yes, It's great!!!I've made several. White cake with Diet Sunkist, chocolate cake with diet root beer!!! You can also make a low fat, low sugar topping for them. Mix 1 8 oz carton of FF cool whip with one small package of sugar free Jell-O or Pudding. Yummy!! I put orange Jell-O on the orange cake and chocolate or cheesecake pudding on the chocolate cake! If youcut the cake into 12 servings, it is 3 points a serving.

i make it all the time it great
im going to try it in the rice cooker and see if it works!

Hmm, interesting info! I actually had the same ?? for you all! There was a recipe for a chocolate cake that called for pepsi or coke(which I thought sounded very strange) and couldn't understand why you would add such an ingredient? So if you added a coke what would it taste like in a chocolate cake mix?

I've never made it with coke, just root beer. It tastes just like chocolate cake to me! Now you all have got me wanting one. I think I have all the stuff to make one too. :D

That's sounds really neat!I have a bunch of cake mixes left over from the holidays. I also am a diet soda drinker. I think that is an awsome idea. How much does it cut the calories though? Isn't all the sugar in the cake mix?

Can you do it with regular soda? I HATE the diet stuff!

Just add the soda?NOTHING else, like the eggs, etc? Really? Hmmm....
THIS I have to try. I am a Diet coke Aholic....so, that would work for me;)

Wow this is great I have a show next tuesday with a weight watchers group and I'm going nuts on what to make. This would be a great dessert can you do it in the fluted pan in the micro? Any other main dish ideas for the WW girls? I'm in my SS1 so I don't have much product outside of my kit, which limits me some.I would love any suggestions.Thanks

pamperedangel06 said:
Wow this is great I have a show next tuesday with a weight watchers group and I'm going nuts on what to make. This would be a great dessert can you do it in the fluted pan in the micro? Any other main dish ideas for the WW girls? I'm in my SS1 so I don't have much product outside of my kit, which limits me some.I would love any suggestions.Thanks
The Strawberry Amaretto Pastries on the cover of the new SB are delicious! It's a SS recipe. You can use fat free cool whip and low fat sour cream. The puffs aren't that bad and if you cut them small enough, you will cut down on the calories too.

In the "it's good for you" cookbook, pg 114, the berries and cream wonton cups are always a big hit for me. If you can, try to borrow a mini muffin pan and easy accent decorator and try these! Your recruiter/director may be willing to lend you the tools you need to get started.

Sorry, I know you wanted main dish ideas.

Happy cooking!

Lisa

HWC Pink Soda CakeI decided to try the soda cake on my family tonight, and it was a HIT. I think I have a great recipe idea for a HWC cake, so read on if you're interested. It involves the 12" Skillet, but you could make it in the rectangular baker as well, I'm sure.

Ingredients:
1 T butter
1 box white cake mix
1 can Diet Rite Raspberry Soda (I used room temp soda, don't know if that makes a difference)
1 8 oz tub Cool Whip Free (new on the market, it uses Splenda and has less fat)
1 T sugar free raspberry Jell-O
1/3 c boiling water

In 12" Family Skillet, melt butter and spread evenly over the bottom of the skillet using Pastry Brush. In medium Stainless Steel Bowl, whisk together cake mix and soda until very well blended (you could also use the Classic batter Bowl, but be careful as it fizzes over easily). Slowly pour into skillet. Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately flip onto Large Round Stone (or S.A. Large Platter). Let cool completely.

In Small Batter Bowl, combine boiling water and Jell-O. Mix until dissolved. Carefully fold in Cool Whip until blended. Frost cake.

I'm going to do this at my May shows. My family loved it - it was moist and very flavorful. Without the fat from the eggs and oil, though, I don't know how well it would keep overnight. I won't find out the answer, either, as it's gone;)

Enjoy!
Diane

dianevill said:
I decided to try the soda cake on my family tonight, and it was a HIT. I think I have a great recipe idea for a HWC cake, so read on if you're interested. It involves the 12" Skillet, but you could make it in the rectangular baker as well, I'm sure.

Ingredients:
1 T butter
1 box white cake mix
1 can Diet Rite Raspberry Soda (I used room temp soda, don't know if that makes a difference)
1 8 oz tub Cool Whip Free (new on the market, it uses Splenda and has less fat)
1 T sugar free raspberry Jell-O
1/3 c boiling water

In 12" Family Skillet, melt butter and spread evenly over the bottom of the skillet using Pastry Brush. In medium Stainless Steel Bowl, whisk together cake mix and soda until very well blended (you could also use the Classic batter Bowl, but be careful as it fizzes over easily). Slowly pour into skillet. Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately flip onto Large Round Stone (or S.A. Large Platter). Let cool completely.

In Small Batter Bowl, combine boiling water and Jell-O. Mix until dissolved. Carefully fold in Cool Whip until blended. Frost cake.

I'm going to do this at my May shows. My family loved it - it was moist and very flavorful. Without the fat from the eggs and oil, though, I don't know how well it would keep overnight. I won't find out the answer, either, as it's gone;)

Enjoy!
Diane

That sounds yummy:D Although I'm more of a strawberry fan than raspberry. I'm assuming it made the white cake turn pink. Does it take long to cool? Or are you planning on making the cake ahead of time & just frosting it at your shows?
For HWC, I'm also planning on making the profiterole puffs using strawberry cool whip, and drizzling with strawberry frosting. I love making pink recipes for HWC shows!
Thanks for the tip! ~Lacy

I'm sure strawberry would work fineI originally looked for strawberry soda, but couldn't find it. Both the cake and frosting were pink. I would make it at a show, but before the guests arrive. I'd pop it into the oven about 25 minutes before the guests arrived and would flip it in front of them. By the time I'm done with the first recipe, it would be cool enough to frost.

HTH,
Diane

Stupid question I'm sure, but do you guys think Diane's cake, or the soda cake ideas would be okay served warm? With the cool whip frosting I'm guessing it would taste better cooled. But I'd really like to show off the mixing bowls etc...so I'd like to prepare it in front of the crowd. Any thoughts are appreciated! I'm thinking it's cake so it will taste good no matter what:)

So nobody makes this cake with regular soda? Does it make it too sweet? Does the cake fall? I don't like the nasty aftertaste that diet soda has and I'm afraid of that flavor transferring to the cake. If you drink the diet soda all the time you are used to this nasty taste, but I wouldn't like that in a cake. Does anyone know?

We made the cake last night, my whole family loved it! My husband who hates diet anything did not even knowit was in there. So, I don't think the flavor transfered at all! A good way to keep me on my diet and give my famliy a treat at the same time!!

I would serve your cake hot and put the cool whip in the EAD. Or you could sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

There is no diet soda after taste. I've made this for a troop of boys scouts and they loved it and they don't eat anything diet!

So, if I want to make this cake in my new Microwave Rice Cooker, (which I'm in love with now by the way,) how do I do it? I understand that I just mix in a can of soda with the cake mix. So, then, do I oil the rice cooker, put the batter in and put the lid on it to cook? Or do I leave the lid off? And how many minutes do I cook it? Do I use the high setting or the lower setting?

:D Details people! I need details!:D

I have never made the soda cake in the rice cooker. If you are going to try it I would:
1. mix the cake mix with the soda at room temp.
2. pour batter into the rice cooker
3. place cover on and cook for 10 min.

not sure how this will work though because of the soda. Anyone try this?

Thanks Hilary and Katie! I will have to give this a try now. I bought the fluted pan just to start making micro cakes as an easy second recipe, but haven't tried any yet. I will try this at home and see how it goes!

In all the cake recipes I have seen for the Rice Cooker you DO NOT put the lid back on. It will end up steaming the cake - not cooking it. Ewww...

cmdtrgd said:
In all the cake recipes I have seen for the Rice Cooker you DO NOT put the lid back on. It will end up steaming the cake - not cooking it. Ewww...

Every time I do the Rice Cooker cakes I put the lid on...I have never had a problem and the cakes come out being the most moist and delicious cakes I have ever had.

Has anyone tried using real frosting in the bottom of the pan then pouring the batter over the frosting and cooking it that way?

I use real frosting and plop it on top of the cake mix with the small scoop, I end up using about 2/3 of the tub of frosting.

Thanks for the Recipe
It sounds yummy
I had ladies last night who were on WW and when I did "a day in the life of a bar pan" they kept saying they couldnt have the foods...very frustrating for this SS3 consultant!

Chef Kearns said:
So nobody makes this cake with regular soda? Does it make it too sweet? Does the cake fall? I don't like the nasty aftertaste that diet soda has and I'm afraid of that flavor transferring to the cake. If you drink the diet soda all the time you are used to this nasty taste, but I wouldn't like that in a cake. Does anyone know?
I make it all the time with regular, not diet soda.

What is the purpose of substituting diet soda in cake mixes?

Substituting diet soda in cake mixes can help reduce the calorie and sugar content of the final product. It is a popular option for those trying to make healthier choices in their baking.

Is diet soda a suitable substitute for all types of cake mixes?

Diet soda is typically used as a substitute for traditional cake mixes, such as chocolate or vanilla. However, it may not work as well for more complex flavors like lemon or carrot cake.

What are some tips for successfully using diet soda in cake mixes?

It is important to follow the instructions on the cake mix package and only use the amount of diet soda recommended for the recipe. Also, be sure to mix the cake batter well to ensure the soda is evenly distributed.

Can diet soda affect the texture or taste of the cake?

Yes, diet soda can affect the texture and taste of the cake. It may result in a slightly denser and less sweet cake compared to using traditional ingredients. Experiment with different flavors of diet soda to find the best combination for your taste.

Are there any other benefits to using diet soda in cake mixes?

In addition to being a low-calorie and low-sugar option, diet soda can also add some unique flavors to the cake. For example, using a fruity diet soda in a vanilla cake mix can create a fun and tasty twist on a traditional flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisacb77
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniferknapp
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • kam