• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Social Media Policy Reminder Email

a consultant with that company, popped up. Appears he is shared a LOT of recipes and photos without credit or permission. Pampered Chef is now doing blanket emails to all consultants, asking them to please respect copyrighted material and to be sure to credit the source if using any material.
AJPratt
Silver Member
Did anyone else get this email?

Dear Consultant,

It has been brought to our attention that some Consultants may be using images
and recipes from food bloggers and other sources on their Facebook pages.
Sharing images and recipes is a great way to create interest but it’s important
to respect other party’s copyright rights and credit the creator or source.
Posting materials without proper credit or in violation of copyright rights
violates our Consultant Policy Guide and can put you and your business at risk.
Please know the social media policies in the Consultant Policy Guide and on most
social media sites make it clear that this type of activity is not acceptable.

Most social media channels provide sharing tools that are the easiest way to
ensure you are providing the proper credit. For example, instead of saving
images and recipes and republishing them as your own, “Share” posts you like on
Facebook, “Re-Tweet” on Twitter, and “Re-Pin” on Pinterest. Sharing,
re-tweeting, and re-pinning allows links to the original content and owner to
remain intact which is required. If you’re not sharing according to the terms
of use of these social media channels, you are at risk. If you wish to include
the content as part of your own post, the best practice is to contact the
creator for authorization to use their content.

Sincerely,

The Pampered Chef

I received it also - probably a blanket e-mail to everyone. I had conversation with one blogger who was terribly upset that a male PC consultant was doing this to her material and said many of her co-bloggers shared her experience. She mentioned he was part of a BIG COMPANY, but also said she realized the majority of us 'shared' properly. Such a sad commentary on a few consultants.

I have been seeing his...somehow they are showing up on my FB.

Yes, all of a sudden he's everywhere! And once a post gets started being passed around, it's impossible to exactly pinpoint who began it when the credits are removed.

What I thought was weird was that a lot of my FB friends and customers of mine were posting and sharing his stuff but he isn't even from my area and I thought it was strange that they would be posting from him

I wonder if its the same person I have seen. And yes, people I know are sharing the stuff. When I post a recipe I include a line "From Very Best Baking" or "From Kraft recipes". Do you think that is sufficient?

From the Director discussion, apparently the bloggers are getting upset that people are saving the photo & re-posting on their wall. The bloggers get sponsorship based on clicks. So they want people coming to their blog. They want us to "share" the photo, recipe, etc. from their page so that people will click on it & go to their blog. Not copy it to our page or make it where the person doesn't need to click through to the blog at all (by posting the instructions and/or recipe too). When you see something online, they have the "share" buttons for a reason. The bloggers don't mind us advertising for them, as long as we are advertising for them. If our customers don't know who came up with the idea and/or did the photo, it defeats the point for the blogger/photographer & causes them to miss out on money they could have gotten had you done it the right way. ;)

Are we to delete everything we don't know where is came from? I have a number of posts scheduled for the rest of this month, but I don't know if they came from a specific site. When I get something from someone else on FB I thank them for the idea; I usually cannot tell when they got it from. My plan is to pay better attention and share to fit the above comment guidlines.

I get what they're saying, but have you ever tried to search Facebook or a blog for an old post? One of the biggest reasons I stopped "sharing" was because I couldn't find recipes when I needed them. I have always tried to credit the origins because if you like something, you may want to check that page/site out yourself. I understand their issue, but the bigger issue is an inability to organize and save shared posts. I would gladly share if I could find them later.

I thought if you shared on your own timeline it was there. Then you could just seach there if you want it later.

Got that email, too...wasn't sure what the kerfluffle was about. Typed "Pampered Chef" into facebook and Nathan Brown came up first. His page is nothing but people asking where all the recipes went! edit ... Not sure if that was the male consultant mentioned, just his name came up first on facebook.
also agree, facebook is a big fail when trying to find older posts. They get replaced by ads. A dear friend of mine, her mom died last month and it was impossible to find the post with details of the funeral.And, for some reason, some people's pages do not have the share button.

I always cite where the recipe comes from. From now on, I'll include a link to the site. I typically don't use blogger recipes. I usualyl use kraft, PC, Nestle, Betty Crocker. I know those recipes are reliable and easy to follow. Thanks so much for everyone's input. I did see Nathan's FB page today and looks like there were a lot of recipes posted today.

I also had a look at the corporate PC facebook page. There were several posts about the posting on pages without crediting the source - presumably, the bloggers that were not getting credit. Probably what prompted the mass email to consultants.

ShellBeach said:
I also had a look at the corporate PC facebook page. There were several posts about the posting on pages without crediting the source - presumably, the bloggers that were not getting credit. Probably what prompted the mass email to consultants.
Maybe am I am dummy. Where is the Corporate page?

I had a very loyal customer share a recipe and tagged me in it...she then asked me a question about the recipe since it was "a PC recipe". I informed her that this was not at all a PC recipe...wanted to comment how annoying it is that all of these pinterest recipes are all of a sudden being shared like they are PC recipes when they aren't...I told her that one way to tell if it is a PC recipe is that it will tell you exactly what products to use...and since we don't have a glass baking dish in our catalog that this recipe said to use that it was most certainly not a PC recipe. I think I'm more annoyed that my newsfeed is blowing up w/ so many non PC recipes...we have soooo many that are WAY better than some of the crap I've seen on my newsfeed.

I don't mind sharing non-PC recipes because in the end, I hope they will come to me looking for the tools to make them. I will from now on, make sure I link to the pages at the top of the recipes. I saw something from a blogger on a page that I was following claiming how people steal their photos and recipes and act like they are their own. I have never claimed that the photos and recipes I post are my own. Most are not. My goal has been to be a resource for others. Chances are had I not found some of the recipes I've posted, anyone who's seen my posts would not have seen them at all. I have always provided infomation as to recipe origins. I personally have never knowingly used copywrighted material without giving credit. I thought (wrongly I have found out) that pictures posted on the internet without watermarks were OK to use and post. The best way to make sure that your pictures are OK is to subscribe to a service that only has "fair share" photos. I honestly thought using Google images was OK. Technically posting a recipe, even when you give them credit, even providng a link to the original site can also be infringement because they don't have to go to the original site to get the recipe.

lt1jane said:
Oh, yeah... I have that one. I thought there was a different one, warning consultants about giving credit. I will probably stick to PC recipes, but the issue there is not all of them have pictures. I can understand that bloggers are losing money if they don't get the clicks/sponsorships, but I have people copy and paste my posts word for word all the time and don't give me credit (dating shows, recruiting, etc). I wonder if this applies to bloggers and/or websites like Kraft, Betty Crocker, Nestle?

Technically, yes according to what I've been able to find. Nestle, Kraft and others don't get their undies in a bundle like the bloggers do because they are more concerned with food sales than website traffic. Their websites are more of a means to an end for them, another tool for self-exposure. If we post their recipes, we advertise their products and they hopefully will see sales from it. I could be wrong, but they are probably less likely to go after the little guy about this if they are credited and their sales don't decline.

Thanks, Jane... I've never knowingly used a recipe from a blogger. I'd rather stick with those I know are tried and true.

Can I post a recipe if I use my own picture of it?

So happy to see this thread. I thought I was losing my mind, seeing all of those posts crop up. I mean, on the one hand, the whole "SHARE this on your wall so that you can find the recipe" is kind of brilliant, because then the post gets shared a gazillion times. But it was a bit disconcerting to see all of my customers sharing pictures from another consultant.

when I share from a blogger, I always give them their credit. But then it's always from a blogger I've known for a while and have followed. It's a shame things have gotten in such a mess......sigh.....

Lexif424 said:
Can I post a recipe if I use my own picture of it?
Yes, you can use your own picture.

The list of ingredients in a recipe is not copyrightable, the instructions may be. If the instructions are very simple, like "1. Bring water to a boil. 2. Stir in pasta. etc." then they aren't copyrightable. But if the instructions are more literary, then they are protected.
http://tinyurl.com/a6cpx9p

I got it the other day.

I don't like sharing recipes/photos from the PC FB page because it links people to the insane comments on there.

I have seen these shares like crazy and I am glad HO send out this email. I ljust read that Iambaker post, I am glad she went in to what the bloggers want from us, which is what I usually do anyway, but for her to say that the majority of PC fan pages are posting these images has to be way off base, I am sure the majority of us share directly form PC.

Last edited:
JennyJennJen said:
I have seen these shares like crazy and I am glad HO send out this email. I ljust read that Iambaker post, I am glad she went in to what the bloggers want from us, which is what I usually do anyway, but for her to say that the majority of PC fan pages are posting these images has to be way off base, I am sure the majority of us share directly form PC.
She actually put this in the article:
*Please note that this does not include all of the 66k Pampered Chef consultants. There is an ever growing list of Pampered Chef facebook pages that are in violation of the law and facebook terms of use, but as of today that number is not representative of the majority.
I think she recognizes that it's a minority of consultants causing the uproar ... but I agree that the rest of her post makes it look like "all" the PC Consultants are doing this now. (Kind of like we all have a bad taste in our mouths over 31 Consultants. I know that not "all" of them are trying to piggy back on PC shows, but I'm leery when I hear one will be or is at my show ... waiting to see what they'll try! :( I think the bloggers will be watching all PC Consultants for a while.)

I posted a picture of Santa a couple years ago and every year I see several consultants using it. I guess I should be flattered but I am not. It's my Santa (my husband). No one asked if it was ok. I do get what they are saying. I have downloaded pictures and changed captions under them to suit me. No clue that was wrong. I thought if its on the Internet... After all people freely use my pictures too. Now I know.

Ok. I get the issue. But there is virtually no way to verify what is out there now! Wth things be posted and reposted, how do you know WHO that recipe/photo orginally belonged to, especially if someone put it on their own site? Yes, you will come across those that you can tell they started the post, but not all of them.

Oh, I misread that line saying we were NOT the majority...but I agree, up until that line she makes it sound as though we were all doing it with 70,000 likes...oh, I wish I had that many likes, and that my friends and family members were liking/sharing/seeing my PC fan page instead of that other person with 70,000+ likes. :)

This is crazy..but can someone tell me how to start a thread on here?

And yet, when I share a post from a fellow consultant, they tell me to save and share so my friends won't be directed to their site. Am I the only one who's confused?

what I am getting from this is they want us to ask permission to use their photos and instead of posting the recipe, post a link to their blog where the recipe is. If so, It's a little more work, but I am willing to do that. My issue with just sharing the link alone is trying to find the recipe again. I found a recipe once for pumpkin pancakes. I made them and liked them a lot. A year later, I wanted to make them again. I knew I hadn't posted the recipe on my page but knew which blog it originated from. It took me three days and several hours to finally find that recipe again. The recipe search on that blog stinks. (Ironically, this was also the blogger who was having the biggest fit about sharing vs. plagarizing.) I finally had to search back over a year on my timeline to find the original link. I'm NOT going to go through that much effort every time I want to make a recipe.

CK Hall posted a wonderful notice on her site which I used as the basis of my PSA. Here is my PSA and the picture I created to post with it (Yes, you may use the "picture" without fearing my wrath)Jane's Public Service Note: In the best interest of others, I have always given credit where credit is due on recipes I have shared with you. Most of what you see on my page are recipes I have made myself or what other Pampered Chef consultants have made themselves and have openly shared with me to share here. I will continue to do this.I have been remiss on giving credit for photos. I have not specifically said that I have not taken most of the photos I have posted (I haven’t), but I have not cited the source of those photos either. . On occasion the photo would have the originating website/blog, I never removed that information because I thought it was obvious that I was not using my own photography. I was mistaken in my assumption that if I searched images on the internet they were “fair use,” available for anyone to use unless watermarked. I will make sure from now on that images I use are fair use and copyright free or I have permission to post them.However, lately there has been a backlash from food bloggers not wanting their photos/recipes shared, even if credit has been given to them. As most folks do not want to chase down links to get to a recipe, I will no longer be sharing their recipes here. I may share a link from time to time. I would love to continue to do that, but only with their express permission and understanding that they will receive all the credit on my page. But lastly, recipes have been shared for years and years, even before the Internet was around. I do want to mention that unless you have been super creative in designing a recipe, and The Pampered Chef is one of the most innovative companies I know in recipe design, making an age-old recipe, taking a photo of it, and posting it as your own is an incorrect way of saying you own it now. So with that in mind, I will be in the kitchen as will other talented Pampered Chef consultants, cooking and baking away...rewriting recipes in OUR own language and posting our lovely photos right here....SO keep following and sharing my page with your friends and we shall break bread together virtually in the spirit of friendship and sharing. Which is what facebook is all about...right? give credit.jpg

Last edited:
lt1jane said:
But lastly, recipes have been shared for years and years, even before the Internet was around. I do want to mention that unless you have been super creative in designing a recipe, and The Pampered Chef is one of the most innovative companies I know in recipe design, making an age-old recipe, taking a photo of it, and posting it as your own is an incorrect way of saying you own it now. So with that in mind, I will be in the kitchen as will other talented Pampered Chef consultants, cooking and baking away...rewriting recipes in OUR own language and posting our lovely photos right here....SO keep following and sharing my page with your friends and we shall break bread together virtually in the spirit of friendship and sharing. Which is what facebook is all about...right?
This is my favorite part and CK is right. They win on their photos, but I don't know they would win a lawsuit on "their" recipes.

That is awesome, Jane!

Not to nitpick, but it should be spelled "cite" when used as a verb.

fixed. Thanks

This is my problem too! I just started my page recently and loving doing it... I was trying to organize the recipes and ideas into categories in my photo albums (YES! I am a bit OCD!) I have had people tell me they love being able to go to Easter treats and know all the recipes I had for that were right there... I am trying over and over various ways to "share" or copy the link... or what ever I need to do to do this correctly. Do you have any ideas on how to post these and also put them into albums? or at least into photos? SO SO SO frustrated here!

lt1jane said:
what I am getting from this is they want us to ask permission to use their photos and instead of posting the recipe, post a link to their blog where the recipe is. If so, It's a little more work, but I am willing to do that. My issue with just sharing the link alone is trying to find the recipe again.

I found a recipe once for pumpkin pancakes. I made them and liked them a lot. A year later, I wanted to make them again. I knew I hadn't posted the recipe on my page but knew which blog it originated from. It took me three days and several hours to finally find that recipe again. The recipe search on that blog stinks. (Ironically, this was also the blogger who was having the biggest fit about sharing vs. plagarizing.) I finally had to search back over a year on my timeline to find the original link. I'm NOT going to go through that much effort every time I want to make a recipe.

To find out where a picture came from, to find the originator of a recipe or whatever, right click on the picture and click "copy URL", then go to image.google.com, click the camera symbol on the right side of the empty field, then paste that link there and hit enter. Then it will bring up that image and every time it's been used online. It sometimes can take a lot of looking through to find the original poster, but it's possible. I went through and found all the original posts of the recipes I had found and updated my page by deleting where I had pasted the recipe and then instead put the link to the blog. BUT...after hearing how some bloggers don't even want their picture being used, even with a link to their site, I decided I'm not messing with bloggers/Pinterest type things any more. So, I'm using strictly PC recipes or recipes that I make with PC products. I'm taking pictures, making little product highlight demo videos, (not on YouTube, but just put straight into my business page.) There are some PC groups on Facebook where other consultants are doing the same and we are all sharing these "authorized to share" photos and recipes.

And Home Office is now saying that we can't post recipes that THEY haven't already posted on Consultant's Corner or on www.PamperedChef.com.So be sure if you are posting one of their recipes that you've already checked to ensure they have the recipe online! I think I'll just start trying the public recipes, taking my own photos & posting those. All the "shared" photos by other consultant require too much work to track down the online recipe! LOL

I am getting a lot of "shares" from my fb friends that are postings from several another consultants that isn't in our area...not even close to our area. I have no idea where they find them. I don't think any of us purposefully "steal" other consultant's ideas/recipes, etc. I always tell where I got an idea from, but maybe I should put more information. I received that email from HO as well and I was worried that I had done something wrong. But since I didn't hear anything else I decided I was "sharing" properly.Also, I think a lot of the recipes may have originated from PC but people have removed the product names...I do that when I want to save a recipe for myself. And, they may have changed or added an ingredient. Or, they tried the recipe somewhere and went home and made their own recipe based on what they could remember from the show.

Shawnna said:
I am getting a lot of "shares" from my fb friends that are postings from several another consultants that isn't in our area...not even close to our area. I have no idea where they find them. I don't think any of us purposefully "steal" other consultant's ideas/recipes, etc. I always tell where I got an idea from, but maybe I should put more information. I received that email from HO as well and I was worried that I had done something wrong. But since I didn't hear anything else I decided I was "sharing" properly.Also, I think a lot of the recipes may have originated from PC but people have removed the product names...I do that when I want to save a recipe for myself. And, they may have changed or added an ingredient. Or, they tried the recipe somewhere and went home and made their own recipe based on what they could remember from the show.
What's happening is that a consultant is sharing something that is appealing to a lot of people, so those people click "share" so they can "save it to their wall so they can find it easier later". Then all those people's friends see it, like it, and then they too "share" it. So next thing you know, it has gone viral and a lot of people are sharing it. When they click "share" it doesn't show the friend that posted it, it goes back to the main source...the consultant's page. I know, this is very frustrating. I have a High School friend who likes my page and every now and then asks me about PC stuff. She wants to order things, etc. But lately, she has been sharing recipes from other consultant's pages all the time. It's really bugging me because we have a lot of mutual friends and those friends will see that consultant's info. And what really frustrates me is that some of those posts are things that I already posted a while ago but no one ever shared mine! :( The consultants with thousands of "likes" make me jealous because they are kind of all over the place. But I did notice that my friend hasn't "like"d that consultant's page, just shared it. (but who knows how many of her friends ended up sharing things and liking the page.) :(

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
vanscootin
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • babywings76