• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Can a part-time job help stabilize my PC business?

In summary, the protagonist is considering going back to work to supplement their income. They met with their lawyer about their finances and decided that they need to go back to work. They went to a store that they used to work at and the manager was able to get them started right away. They are trying to figure out availability so that they can have set days off and Thurs nights as well.
AJPratt
Silver Member
After meeting with our lawyer about our finances (they are so ugly), we have decided that I need to go back to work. PC is great, but it isn't steady yet (you saw my rant about cancellations). I think by getting something and having something coming in steady, I will be able to relax and just let PC flow, if that makes sense. On FB, I posed that I want something steady to supplement my PC business until I get it to where I want it to be. So, I went to this store Avenue, where I worked a few years ago. I kept in touch with the store manager. Well, it has paid off because she is calling the district manager to see if they can get me started right away. Usually there is a process that involves a background check that takes about 2 weeks. Its not a lot of money, but I know I can work it around PC, and its comfortable for me. Any thoughts? I'm trying to figure out availability so I can heave steady show nights.

(((fingers crossed))) I know it would make you feel a lot better to know that you have a steady stream of income! :DIs the manager willing to work with you and let you have set days off or say every 1st & 3rd Saturday to do PC shows? Maybe Thursday nights too?

I love Avenue...it's the only place I shop now, and have been toying with the thought of applying there myself! But, the timings not right now for that.

I'll be praying for wisdom for you and the right doors to open!!!

Sheila... Even if I have $100 coming in a week, it will help with budgeting. I am sure I can tell her when I am available. I just have to figure it out. She worked with me before when I had a FT job. I know my PC business will get there in time.

Nic: Me, too! Hey, when you are ready, you get a 31% discount on everything; even clearance. I have bought socks for 30 cents.

I hate the idea of leaving Mary since I just got used to being home with her, but I feel helping to keep a roof over our heads, trumps my guilt.

Does it help to think of this as being 'only for a season'...?
And being able to have that much flexibility in a job is awesome! You can't get it much better!
Do you have options for childcare?

Good luck hun!

I've thought about going back to work at the bank. But since we moved the location we're in now makes it very hard. Daycare is an arm and a leg and I would have to drive an hour or more which is not worth it in the long run. I rather drive an hour for PC then daycare lol.

Let us know how things go okay!

~Heather

I do have some options with daycare: neighbor, friend and my stepdad. Dave is usually home by 11a, so it wouldn't be for long.

And, I just got a call back from another job app!

AJPratt said:
I do have some options with daycare: neighbor, friend and my stepdad. Dave is usually home by 11a, so it wouldn't be for long.

And, I just got a call back from another job app!

Go Anne Go!

Anne I side my opinion with Sheila. I would first sit down and look at your monthly schedule and pick PC 'work days'. For example, I don't have a life really so I could work PC just about 7days a week HOWEVER I prefer to "work" on Wednesday, Friday & Saturday (or a sunday in place of Saturday). But if you know that you want to have your shows on those 3 days, then stick with that and those are the days your 'shop is open for business'. Then your 'customers' will have to 'shop' on your 'open days'. Then you have your life around those work days. Coming from retail management, if your schedule is set, its easier to work around rather than, this week you need Tuesday night off, Next week you need Thurs and Fri etc.

Best of luck! We have an Avenue and I have never been in there. I just might have to check it out and see what its all about :) (my fav store is Eddie Bauer #1 and #2 is Kohls)

Thanks! I am so nervous about this, and excited, too!

At first, I started to feel bad because Pat at the Avenue is trying to pull some strings for me. But my husband said, "You might be able to work both, even if you quit the other one and stay with Avenue." Which is a possibility.

Hi, Melissa! Avenue is a clothing store for "plus sized" women. But considering the average woman is a size 14, which we sell, it almost kind of seems more mainstream than plus.

Anne - Currently I could shop there :) Skinny genes were not in my DNA make up at birth.

Melissa78 said:
Anne - Currently I could shop there :) Skinny genes were not in my DNA make up at birth.

Oh, ok! Mine, either! LOL

I ONLY shop Avenue and Catherine's. Would be at the Avenue more often if they weren't in a mall.

Those stores are great for bras for the well endowed!

Good luck Anne!

Di_Can_Cook said:
I ONLY shop Avenue and Catherine's. Would be at the Avenue more often if they weren't in a mall.

Those stores are great for bras for the well endowed![/QUOTE]

Really? How well endowed?? I have bras I paid HUNDREDS of dollars for about 5 years ago, and, understandably, they are falling apart now. I CANNOT find any which both fit AND are affordable (I've given up shopping online, because the whole "one side is slightly bigger than the other" means sending it back and re-ordering way too many times). My shoulders now have deep, deep, indents in them because I have to tighten the straps so much to get any support.

Sorry, that was all really way TMI, but I'm getting desperate, and perked up the minute I saw your post (no pun intended, by the way ;)).

Thanks, everyone. I went to an interview today at Bosov's Department Store (sort of like JC Penney). They offered me a job as a Sales Associate for $8/hr. When I explained that I would probably have a 2nd job at Avenue they said that I couldn't work two retail jobs while working at Boscov's. So, for $8 I don't think its fair that they can tell me where to work. I will probably hear back from Pat @ Avenue over the weekend and make a decision from there.

Sarah, you could go to http://www.avenue.com and see if there is something you like and find a location near you to try it on. I believe they go up 48DDD. You could also look up Gabrielle & Co in Ocean City, NJ. They can get hard to find sizes.

You're right, Anne. They have no right to tell you where can and can't work, IMO.

*sigh* If I was only a DDD I'd be a happy girl. I'll check it out, though, just in case.

I agree! Boo for Penny's!Sarah, I'd check Catherine's and Lane Bryant. Sometimes they have things on their web site that they don't have in the stores, and if that's the case, they order and ship for free when you go into the stores. I have a friend who is much bigger than me in that department, and she's picked up over the shoulder boulder holders from Catherine's.

Anne - Girl! I had no idea you used to work for Avenue! I was an Assistant Manager at Avenue when we lived in Texas. I loved, loved, loved it. And I was doing PC at the same time - of course I did not have Tristan then.

Also, Boscovs should not be able to tell you where else you can work. Not when you are looking at part time and $8 an hour! What's wrong with them? And didn't they file bankruptcy and half of them go out of business? maybe if they treated their employees better they would have better luck.

Good luck! And what happened to the plans to reopen the coffee shop? You have to tell me how to make that Frozen Chocolate at home - since I don't have you here in Colorado Springs - or Avenue for that matter. There's not even one in Denver!

pcsharon1 said:
Anne - Girl! I had no idea you used to work for Avenue! I was an Assistant Manager at Avenue when we lived in Texas. I loved, loved, loved it. And I was doing PC at the same time - of course I did not have Tristan then.

Also, Boscovs should not be able to tell you where else you can work. Not when you are looking at part time and $8 an hour! What's wrong with them? And didn't they file bankruptcy and half of them go out of business? maybe if they treated their employees better they would have better luck.

Good luck! And what happened to the plans to reopen the coffee shop? You have to tell me how to make that Frozen Chocolate at home - since I don't have you here in Colorado Springs - or Avenue for that matter. There's not even one in Denver!

Di: It was Boscov's putting on the work restrictions. Don't want Penny's to get a bad rep!

Sharon: Avenue got me through hard times before. I love Pat, the store manager. Yes, they did file for bankruptcy and have dumped a number of stores. Mr. Boscov took it back over and they are back on track, but who knows. See, I know how Avenue pays (not much!) but I would expect a company like Boscov's to pay more. I am not some o just looking to collect a check: I know how to do floorsets, upsell, sell credits and other stuff! I am still leaving my options open until I talk to Pat. Frozen Chocolate: Use some powdered hot choc mix (like two of those iced-tea sized scoops) 8 oz of milk, and 12oz of ice and blend. Thant should be close.

Sarah! OMG:eek::eek::eek:

pampchefsarah said:
Really? How well endowed?? I have bras I paid HUNDREDS of dollars for about 5 years ago, and, understandably, they are falling apart now. I CANNOT find any which both fit AND are affordable (I've given up shopping online, because the whole "one side is slightly bigger than the other" means sending it back and re-ordering way too many times). My shoulders now have deep, deep, indents in them because I have to tighten the straps so much to get any support.

Sorry, that was all really way TMI, but I'm getting desperate, and perked up the minute I saw your post (no pun intended, by the way ;)).

Have you considered a breast reduction? If you have indents in your shoulders, your insurance should cover it! I had one 13 years ago and would recommend it in a heartbeat!

pampchefsarah said:
Di_Can_Cook said:

AJPratt said:
Sarah, you could go to http://www.avenue.com and see if there is something you like and find a location near you to try it on. I believe they go up 48DDD. You could also look up Gabrielle & Co in Ocean City, NJ. They can get hard to find sizes.

Don't worry, None of the guys read any of it.

I hope you get the job.

Thanks, Dina! I just want to get something for now until I can get something I really want. If I go to Avenue, even if I get a FT job, I'll stay there PT.

the_kitchen_guy said:
don't worry, none of the guys read any of it.

:rolleyes: Wamp, wamp, waaaaammmmp.

Are you kiddin' me? This was the breast...er...best thread of the day!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Geez KG and Anne - just a little tit-for-tat going on there I would say. Now this may sound odd coming from a guy but go to Oprah's web site. See if they still have info about where to find the "perfect" bra. We had a radio personality here who had issues and found a place to have a bra specially made and she was so impressed at the cost and the fit. She said it was amazing! Although I too would recommend a trip to your doctors office. Not only will you have those strap dents but eventually your back, legs and feet will start to really bother you because your posture will end up shot too! Another friend - way to big and no I do not know how big but she ended up with edema in her arms. It was caused by the weight the bra straps were carrying. It caused the lymph system in her arms to stop working. There are nodes located on top of the shoulders where those funny dimples are, there is one under each arm and those too can be constricted by the weight of "the girls". Not to mention the increased possibility of breast cancer. Or the chances of missing it early because of the mass. JMO. Oh yes, she did have the reduction surgery. She was 19 at the time. The edema went a way and she lives a very active life now. She was most happy about being able to buy normal clothes!!

Yikes, John!

Well, I went in today and talked to Avenue. The DM is checking on me with the HO records. I guess to make sure I wasn't stealing or something. So, hopefully, I will be starting soon!

Well, I start on Monday at Avenue! Its only 12 hours, but I know it will increase!

Yeah Anne!!

Congrats Anne!

Side note: The reason most dept stores won't allow you to work 2 retail jobs is the conflict. They feel like you can't be selling their items if you are recommending something from another store where you work. Silly, since anyone who is good in retail makes suggestions all the time if their store doesn't have what the customer wants. It's called good customer service.

Good luck Anne!

Aunticooks said:
Congrats Anne!

Side note: The reason most dept stores won't allow you to work 2 retail jobs is the conflict. They feel like you can't be selling their items if you are recommending something from another store where you work. Silly, since anyone who is good in retail makes suggestions all the time if their store doesn't have what the customer wants. It's called good customer service.

Really Don't they remember the movie "Miracle on 34th St" That is what Kris Kringle did in the movie... LOL:eek:

Andrea, I was thinking the same thing! One of the best parts of the movie.

ANNE YEAH!!! I hope it went very well fro you. It must have as you have not posted that you quit!!Side note: When a man is in your midst that has no sexual inclination toward you, you will tell them anything! I know things I never wanted to know about women!

John: LOL I started on Monday and had a good day. Lots coming back to me. They had just hired an asst mgr just before Pat (the store mgr) knew I was looking. Well, as I am walking in on Mon, the newest asst is walking out. She quit. There is a new DM Pat is meeting on Fri and I am sure she will take the opp to mention me. So, I could be an asst mgr, which is $3-$4 more an hour and a min of 30 hours weekly. We shall see!

WOW! Timing IS everything! I have everything crossed including a few I shouldn't so you better let us know!!!

It would be great if it worked out!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cvaccaro
Replies
Views
Stephanie78
Replies
Views