• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

So I just logged into my email today....

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
and have just found out about this $5 fee. I'm in the UK, there is NO way I'm using Paypal, and no way snail mail will ge the $5 fee to you in time (and I'm in a different country, so it will cost me MORE than $5 because of currency exchange etc).

I'm a bit miffed at the short notice actually, as I have contributed to this site a great deal and am now being told that I won't have access to it as of tomorrow.

Can you please delete ALL the files I have contributed, if I am no longer allowed to see them!?

My murder mystery in particular is quite valuable to me (and I wrote it all myself), along with Price Is Right theme shows etc. I'm sure you must be able to look through my past posts to see all my attachments.

Thank you, and it was nice being here while I was able.

:(
 

stephanieboyd

Member
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2006
475
0
Actually, it's cheaper for you!! it's only about 2 or 3 GBP to make $5 US. You cannot use Paypal or just don't want to?? I am sure Greg would be willing to work with you to come up with something that is agreeable to all parties.

I love reading your ideas and suggestions, I don't want to see you go if it can be avoided!! Heck, I would pay your $5 just to keep getting your great ideas!!!!
 

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
stephanieboyd said:
Actually, it's cheaper for you!! it's only about 2 or 3 GBP to make $5 US. You cannot use Paypal or just don't want to?? I am sure Greg would be willing to work with you to come up with something that is agreeable to all parties.

I love reading your ideas and suggestions, I don't want to see you go if it can be avoided!! Heck, I would pay your $5 just to keep getting your great ideas!!!!

Paypal:
I've had issues with them in the past, and because I set up my account in Canada they now can't change it to reflect my UK bank account details. :rolleyes:

It's not actually cheaper you know...;) money is still money, it's just that with the bank charge it will work out to the equivalent of more than $5 for me. That's not really this issue, I just don't feel that some of us "out of country" people were thought about when this time frame was agreed upon. I just simply didn't have the time to get it to him for today, even if I had read the email the day it was sent.
 

stephanieboyd

Member
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2006
475
0
I am living in a foriegn country as well. Although, I have somewhat of an advantage because I am actually American. I get charged for using my banking information in Euro (and of course in GBP) not in dollars. Again, I would be happy to take care of it for you. I think the Murder Mystery that you wrote is worth the $5 itself!! I loved that!!! If this is more about the principle, than about the money, I understand that too. I just hate to see you go!!!

I would like to keep in touch via email if that is the case. Please email me [email protected]
 

DZmom

Veteran Member
Jun 20, 2005
1,063
2
I'm with Muppetgal! I believe that the timing, and deadlines were unfair and ill considered. Some people only get paid once or twice a month and live on budgets. Greg has always been very nice and considerate of our requests and ideas, but this paid for site is not a good idea. I believe the site is going to become stagnant and will not grow like it was doing. I understand that he and Deb work hard to keep it running, but how many of us were happy with the site the way it was. All of us or near that. Now, we are going to have to pay for it and I just don't believe that we'll have the NEW blood coming on to the site after today. I also understand that the site costs money to run, but Greg started the site years ago and didn't charge a fee, so my questions are "Why now? What changed?" I asked that on another thread and never received an answer that I can remember. So, will I pay the fee? I still haven't decided.
 

DebPC

Legacy Member
Staff member
Apr 14, 2004
3,006
399
Here is Greg's original post 10 days ago when this decision was made. Here is the original thread:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/showthread.php?t=6937

Unfortunately email and this forum are our only ways of informing you of what's going on. Sorry you just read about it now.

When Greg started this forum 2 years ago he had no idea how big and popular it would get. He figured if we got to around 150-200 members it would be great. Well we now often have 100 or more on our board at the same time. This results in alot more cost and time to keep this site running smoothly.
Plus everyday Greg and I answer many emails on lost passwords, logins, and how to use the site.

For those having trouble affording the $5 a year we are setting up a donation area. For those not having a Paypal account, per the above post you can pay without one. For those undecided, being a very experienced PCer myself I can't believe Chef Success isn't worth 42 cents a month. I get something new and wonderful from this site everyday.

Thanks to all of you sharing your creative genius and expertise- this board has and will continue to help and inspire so many.
 
Last edited:

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
I'm not quibbling over $5, I'm quibbling over the timeline set. My account, as of today, will become limited. There was 10 days to get the money to you, but even if I had read my emails on the day they were sent that still meant I couldn't have it to you in time as I'm in another country. Because email and this forum are the only communication avenues perhaps the timeline should have been longer? Certainly a month would have been more reasonable.

What about people that were on holidays for a few weeks, or people ill/sick etc etc. It was an unfortunately quick turn around time which I'm sure will have people raising eyebrows.

I can't pay with paypal, so this leaves me the option of sending a cheque, which will cost me fees to change to the correct currency etc etc OR sending cash through the post, which I don't feel comfortable doing, OR giving my personal debit/credit card details to someone I don't really know, instead of through a secure server online.

Do you see my issues?

As I've asked in my first post I would like to have all my contributions to this site deleted. They were offered free of charge in return for the information I would be able to download free of charge, and now that this has changed I'd like to have them back.

It's not that I don't value that you have run this site, and that it is a rather large community with a lot of knowledge and wealth of information, and it's not that I don't appreciate what you've both done for the last few years...I just would have liked more advanced warning of changes.
 
Last edited:

Shawnna

Senior Member
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2005
2,377
6
You can still send the money. It is not a deadline really. That is just the date that he will start collecting money. If your money gets to him 3 weeks from now you would then be allowed to log on. Yes you will have a short period that you will not be able to get on here, but, as soon as he gets your money you should be able to get online. I would email him directly and work it out with him. He is so much help to us. I could never run this kind of site...much too complicated. I appreciate all his work.
 

DebbieSAChef

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2006
2,153
0
I love voting!

I really like that Greg did a poll first to see who would pay and who would not. It's great to get things for FREE but when the time and energy and cost of running a site get too much, we all need to chip in to keep it running.

I think it's selfish to ask Greg and Deb to remove your posts. What if they asked us to pay for their services since we first became members or to send back all the wonderful information you downloaded at one time from this site.

I am not saying that everyone has the $5 or a little more in UK to give to this site but just like someone else said, it's not about the time limit, Greg would be willing to work something out with you if you asked him. Maybe even partial payments or something until you could pay it off. They are reasonable and easy to work with on this site so please try to work something out.

I understand it was a short notice to some but according to the poll 90% of members would pay for this site. So let's just be grateful that this site hasn't been shut down, then we all would have been upset and paid the money right away. I LOVE this site!!!

Debbie
 

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
DebbieSAChef said:
I think it's selfish to ask Greg and Deb to remove your posts. What if they asked us to pay for their services since we first became members or to send back all the wonderful information you downloaded at one time from this site.

Debbie

I don't think it's selfish, I think it's unfair that because of unreasonable timelines I won't be allowed to continue to download from this site (and fwiw, I've added much more than I've taken) for the next three weeks or so until this can be sorted, yet my files will be still available to members who found it easy to pay the $5 because they live in the same country.

I guess no one understands that I dont grudge the $5 at all, I think this site is worth at least a $20 membership (at least!) but it's the fact that we weren't given time to get our money in that bothers me.

Why the urgency?

I'll have to order currency from my bank, which isn't open again until Monday (it's after business hours over here now) and then send it via registered mail or whatever, which will take a few weeks. That's a few weeks - month of not getting valuable advice that I may need, that's a few weeks - month of not having questions answered, that's a few weeks- month of no pm's, no access etc etc. I'm just saying that this could have been avoided IF we'd been given a bit more time. My month of not having access will be a direct result of only being given 10 days warning (which, for some people, may not have been 10 days, we don't all log in every single day)

I usually log in every day, tbh, but this last week has been crazy for me, parties, work, child in hospital...so I simply wasn't aware.
 
Last edited:

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
DebbieSAChef said:
I understand it was a short notice to some but according to the poll 90% of members would pay for this site. So let's just be grateful that this site hasn't been shut down, then we all would have been upset and paid the money right away. I LOVE this site!!!

Debbie

Um, fwiw, the poll has also been closed, and I didn't get to vote. Now, that said I would have voted to pay, as I do think it's more than worth it. The poll had NOTHING to do with time lines though....and I'm sure more than just myself would have voted for at least a month to get our money in.
 

Admin Greg

Veteran Member
Staff member
Apr 13, 2004
1,613
166
Muppetgal said:
Um, fwiw, the poll has also been closed, and I didn't get to vote. Now, that said I would have voted to pay, as I do think it's more than worth it. The poll had NOTHING to do with time lines though....and I'm sure more than just myself would have voted for at least a month to get our money in.

Muppetgal, I've sent out a few emails the past week and a half. Did you recieve any of them?
 

jessica_momof6

Member
Silver Member
Feb 24, 2006
290
0
DebbieSAChef said:
I really like that Greg did a poll first to see who would pay and who would not. It's great to get things for FREE but when the time and energy and cost of running a site get too much, we all need to chip in to keep it running.

I think it's selfish to ask Greg and Deb to remove your posts.

but according to the poll 90% of members would pay for this site

with all due respect, the poll only stayed open a short time before the decision was made....and there wasn't a huge turnout for votes at that time...only 118 out of 6000+ members-and it wasn't 90% of members saying they would pay-only 76% of members that voted said they would pay.

and it isn't selfish to want her files gone. they are *HER* files afterall...she owns them. if she doesn't want them shared anymore, I can understand that...and I also think she is just reacting out of hurt and frustration right now.

muppetgal..I am sorry you are upset.
itsok.gif


and Greg--out of all the emails you have said you sent out over the last 2 weeks, I have only gotten one myself. :confused:
 

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
Admin Greg said:
Muppetgal, I've sent out a few emails the past week and a half. Did you recieve any of them?

as I stated previously I did recieve the email, but only a day or so ago. I hadn't logged in due to being busy and my son being taken to hospital.
 

Muppetgal

Member
Silver Member
Nov 15, 2005
170
0
jessica_momof6 said:
with all due respect, the poll only stayed open a short time before the decision was made....and there wasn't a huge turnout for votes at that time...only 118 out of 6000+ members-and it wasn't 90% of members saying they would pay-only 76% of members that voted said they would pay.

and it isn't selfish to want her files gone. they are *HER* files afterall...she owns them. if she doesn't want them shared anymore, I can understand that...and I also think she is just reacting out of hurt and frustration right now.

muppetgal..I am sorry you are upset.
itsok.gif


and Greg--out of all the emails you have said you sent out over the last 2 weeks, I have only gotten one myself. :confused:

thanks, I am actually upset. I didn't expect to log in the other day to be told the clock was ticking, and that I'd only have access for another day.

I would like to pay the $5, but it will take awhile. I'm upset I have to miss out, despite feeling this site is worth it, just because the timeline wasn't a reasonable one.

I guess I'll see you all in about a month! So be good until then!

:rolleyes:
 

Chef Kearns

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2005
3,323
6
With other people now experiencing the things I was talking about in the original post I hope NOW you all understand. It was never about the cost!
 
Top