• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Angered by Cousin's Cell Phone Bill: My Husband's Dilemma

In summary, Wesley's 18-year-old cousin got a cell phone for taking the SATs and never used it as an incentive. Well, he told him last month to use it less because he went over in minutes. His bill came in and he used almost 2000 minutes, which his wife is mad about. They're going to make him pay $170 that he owes and they're taking the phone.
Chef_2_Four
My husband against his better judgement got a cell phone for his 18 y/o cousin for taking the SATs (which we paid for) and never took as an incentive. well he told him last month to cut back because he went way over in minutes. as in used as much as me and I use my for the business too. So I get the bill today and he used almost 2000 minutes!!! I am so mad I could spit nails! I used 1100 and all the ones I was billed for where for the job!! I was billed $77 not bad since I can claim part of it on taxes. His part $150!!! My MIL said make him pay for it which I agree but the agreement between him and DH was to pay$20 each month for the bill. He still owes for Aug and we just got the Jul payment last week. He is supposed to pay on the first of the month. I am going to call Att tomorrow and see how much it would be to break the contract because I am not going through this every month!!! sorry for the vent!! i had to get it out and Wesley is helping another cousin do her homework.

I would take the phone away from him, hand him a $20 Virgin mobile prepay phone and say have fun - you're responsible for filling it up. He can buy cards at Target or Walmart with cash and there's no harm to your credit or his. We use them b/c we don't use cells unless its an emergency and its dumb for us to pay $50 a month for 15 minutes of use. :)

I agree with you Jenn - I have a cell phone where I just buy minutes and it's been much cheaper in the long run. I actually use all the minutes up (eventually - it takes me a long time since I prefer my home phone to make calls )and don't get a phone bill every month.

updatewell I told Wesley when he got home. he was livid. we just told him last month not to use it so much. he had 800 minutes so what does he do....it is $175 to cancel the contract, we don't have that so we are going to make him pay $170 that he owes us and we are taking the phone and are going to pay the $10 every month until the cost to break the contract is less. that'll teach my husband!! :p never give a child a cell phone!! haha!! well at least an irresponsible child.

1. How can I approach my cousin about their high cell phone bill without causing conflict?

It's important to have a calm and respectful conversation with your cousin about the issue. Start by expressing your concerns and ask if there is a reason for the high bill. Avoid accusing or blaming them and instead focus on finding a solution together.

2. Should I involve my husband in this situation?

If your husband is the one who brought up the issue, it may be helpful to involve him in the conversation. However, if he is not directly involved, it may be best to handle the situation on your own.

3. Is there a way to lower my cousin's cell phone bill without canceling their service?

Yes, you can suggest your cousin look into different plans or options that may be more affordable for them. They could also try negotiating with their cell phone provider for a lower rate.

4. What if my cousin refuses to change their cell phone plan?

If your cousin is unwilling to make any changes, it's important to respect their decision. You can offer to help them find other ways to save money in their budget, but ultimately it's their responsibility to manage their own expenses.

5. How can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

One way to prevent this issue from happening again is to establish clear boundaries and expectations with your cousin regarding their use of your husband's account. You can also suggest setting a limit for how much they can spend on their phone bill each month.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
  • byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies