• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Navigating Unemployment and Job Insecurity: A Frustrating Reality of Life

In summary, Pat was home from work today and his supervisor told him to go home while they investigated. Pat may have problems with unemployment because his measurements on his sheet do not match his out put.
pampered1224
Silver Member
I got home from school today at 12:30 to find Pat was home. Now, mind you I am in school, should be done by the end of July. I am no loger getting Unemployment because our state is lying about the number of people who went back to work. The number show how many people lost benefits or simply got tired of filing. No jobs! We were told that there were 25,000 jobs created since Jan 1. Then what happened to the 140,000 on unemployment that now shows only half that! Still a difference of 50,000 people. We have a terrible leak in the roof that needs fixing so that is going to cost us about $250. Can not go to NC because of the money issues. Pat was put on suspension because well, we don't know for sure as everything he was told this morning, we can both disprove. It is apparently because he does not do what the Task Schedule tells him to do. ????? He is a medical records person. He is supposed to complete 12" of folders, going through removing un-needed paper, making sure the ones that are there are signed and what not. So he ends up with less than 12" because of the garbage. Now, first and foremost, his supervisor said they are looking at the last 5 years. First, who the heck waits 5 years to tell someone they are doing their job wrong??? It has never come up in reviews, or even brought to his attention that his supposed measurements on his sheet do not match his out put. Well, they should not if he is tossing a bunch of the paper out. Second, he has only been in the department for 2 years. And he has only been doing this particular job for about 1 year. Then his boss tells him the list is a guideline. Does that not mean there is room for deviations? Or am I wrong. He is really anal retentive and I know he follows it to a tee. The problem, no one ever told him when he should measure the stacks so he does it first. I would to. If I have to touch a 3" medical records folder and toss 1". I still had to touch the original 3". Anyway, he was told to go home while they investigated. He can only go back when, and if, they call him. BS! So we both may be out of jobs come Monday. He may even have problems with Unemployment as I bet they will fight it. although he kept his reviews, no mention of this issue. He has copies of the schedule, funny how the measurements disappeared from it. So even his supervisor can not say the measurements were valid especially if they were removed from the task list. Thanks. I had to get that out. Oh and no verbal or written warnings about it either!

Sometimes, life sucks.Trust me, though, it beats the alternative.

They will have to prove he did something malicious and against company policy to weasel out of unemployment. If he has records and based on what your are saying, they don't have a leg to stand on. Also, have him not admit to anything.

This is coming from another Wisconsin resident whose husband in on unemployment now and who has been denied unemployment in the past (he went to work drunk, it was his fault).

OMG! I am so sorry but hang in there! You are in my prayers! You've been given excellent advice. Hugs.

My husband and I have been having a rough few months as well, sometimes I think it just won't get better. One of the reasons I joined PC was because I needed a 2nd job without sacrificing the hours I get at my current job. I am part-time there and get an average of 30 hours a week and getting a 2nd job would compromise those hours, something I cannot afford. I've been working so hard with PC to make this work, sometimes I feel good about it, sometimes I feel like I am going to fail at it. I just keep my head up and keep praying something good will happen. There have been so many times I've just broken down and cried about everything and it helps, but when I'm done I I am back in the same situation. I just keep praying and having faith that this will all turn around. I work very hard with my PC business and at my regular job, and sometimes it feels like the people around me who don't work at all are having all this great luck (even if its not the case, thats what it looks like to me) it's really hard to keep positive, but that is the only way we will survive. So, I say to you and everyone who is going through a tough time, keep your head up, keep praying, have faith and everything WILL be ok!. I hope you can get thru this, I'm still hoping to get thru my patch.

Well, here is the funny part. He did not admit this to me until later but to tell the truth, he is actually kind of relieved. This last move of his to this department two years ago was very stressful. He even goes into a horrible funk EVERY Sunday night because he hates his employer. They constantly change the rules, the jobs, the way things are done, they even have to keep logs of what other people do wrong! I think the supervisor needs to be fired not her employees. Set up rules, and stop changing them so people can get things right. She had the gall to tell him that his body language during a conversation with someone was inappropriate. How do you stop being who you are???

What a great management philosophy - "What can I catch them doing wrong today?"I don't remember reading that one in Dale Carnegie.

If given enough time, everyone will be promoted beyond their level of competency. It's no fun when you are the one working for THAT person. (((hugs))) to both of you! If you ask millionaires, most of them got their motivation after a pink slip ... so even if this does turn out to be more than just a suspension, it might be a blessing in disguise. ;)

I'm so sorry. I know this is a lot of added stress.

I'm sorry that you're going through this John. I empathize with you, because my husband gave his two weeks' notice at work last Friday, and does not have a new job lined up. He loved what he did, but hated going to work every day because of who he worked for. I'm convinced that a lot of the physical ailments he's been having were a result of his unhappiness at work. He already seems so much happier, even though he's still there through the last of the month.

Like Sheila said, hopefully this is the turning point, and things will just go up from here.

John, hugs to you and Pat both. You will be in my prayers that this situation or situations will resolve quickly and to both of your satisfaction. I know it is not easy to be without unemployment, in more ways than just financially.

John,
I'm very sorry this is happening. I know it can be stressful. My DH has been stressed alot this week, and it will only get more so over the next month. His work (Cisco) announced that there will be pink-slips. But they won't tell anyone who gets them until July 27th when they'll let you know and then walk you out most likely. (LOVELY! ) so the guys are just having to wait. There is "talk"...yesterday, he found out from loose-lips that there are supposed to be 11,000 jobs cut, EVERY dept is supposed to cut- no matter what. He is a rare-duck if you will in his group, no one else holds the necessary requirements to do his job, but if a "bean counter" makes the decisions, it won't help him much- since he's near the top of the group in regards to the $$. But without him, they are up a BIG RIVER without even a boat!
He's starting a course with SANS to get a new certification in network security, but that will take some time. THis is definitely motivating him to get through it. He's got a month before we "know"...he can almost have the course done and nearly ready for the test. I'm sorry we won't get to meet at NC this year, but do your best to keep your chin up and moving forward. Something better may be just around the corner my friend.
*Hug*

Just remember that when one door closes a window opens....watch for that window.

John,

You guys are in our prayers.

Thank you all. I know we are not the only ones going through this. I just could not believe the lies she fed him!
Here are a few more things I learned from him.
1) She told him the past 5 years. He has only had her as a supervisor for less than a year! He has been in the department longer than she has!
2) The Task Schedule, which is a guideline according to her, has been changed just recently to eliminate the measurements. Funny if they are so important!
3) AND THAT LIST - was not even in existence when he did start in that department! That came several months after he was trained!
So yes, KG, What can I find wrong with my staff because some one is breathing down my neck to eliminate people in a way that they can not get UI or be hired again by an Aurora Hospital or Clinic. Yes, AURORA! NON-PROFIT but made over $800 million last year, and whose Director stated a few months back that they were well on there way to loose money! (PUT A VERY NASTY FEW EXPLETIVES HERE!)
I still think they and other so called non-profit hospitals should be investigated. Let them file their dang taxes and write everything off just like any other business has too! I am sorry but Facebook and Microsoft give more and are not considered non-profit!
I have to say though that he has not gotten up yet, yes, it is 11:42 a.m. but I think he was up until almost 5 a.m. as usual. He gets caught up in his NetFlix! I totally agree with Dale C. rolling his eyes in disbelief. And We DO KNOW there is one already open window and that will come in the form of my completing school very soon. I am a firm believer that all things happen for a reason. God has a plan and I intend to make sure that we are listening, watching and patiently waiting. I would hate to pass up Pat's open window. I know where mine is! I can thank my lucky stars that unlike some of you, I have not had to travel half way around the world, undergo procedures for things unknown to myself, or even deal with that ugly boss or coworker just because I NEEDED that dang job. I have been very lucky in my life. We will get through this. I know that as my faith tells that. And I have all of you telling me too! That REALLY helps. Hey! I always did want a one room cabin in New Hampshire where there are a lot of untaxed things.

Last edited:
I honked and waved when I drove across the Wisconsin Avenue Viaduct this afternoon, did you hear me?;)

John...is there an HR department there that he could talk to regarding the allegations and the discrepencies? I'm sorry that this is all happening.....I know things will look up soon!

John, my prayers go with you. Having been there I can tell you that there is light at the end of the road. One thing this experience does is make one realize the importance of being ahead of the game. Before my husband was laid off we were in and out of debt (mostly in) but since he got back to work we worked our way out - it took YEARS - and now we only have a car payment which is ahead of schedule and a house payment. Because of that we now can save some and also we can actually buy things here and there with money that used to go for interest.

Hopefully this road is short for you.

Kristen the really sad part is that we both think HR is behind this to begin with. All we can do right now is wait to see what this so called "investigation" shows and the result of same. Based on the reviews he has at home, we think we can nail them for unfairly firing him. There has never been anything stated in the form of verbal or written warnings and nothing has ever appeared in his reviews that he was doing his job incorrectly. That and there may be something else. If it is brought up. He can nail them for discrimination. Obviously my partner and I are gay. He was sent an e-mail by his supervisor that his body language during a certain conversation was inappropriate. The rest goes on to say it was to flamboyant! We already asked a lawyer and if this is mentioned at all in reasoning for dismissal, he will personally take the case! Actually he said that even if it does not, there may still be a case of discrimination. So right now all we can do is wait. The only other really bad thing is that now, if Pat does go back to work, he really is worried about having to watch his back. I told him to get his resume ready and see what he can do about getting out before anything happens.

Companies get really sneaky when it comes to discrimination. DH wasn't hired by one high profile company because he didn't look the part (he was over weight and not the tall, young suit if you know what I mean). Now that he's older he worries about age discrimination... Hopefully Pat can get things worked out without involving lawyers but the company does need to know that this kind of thing is wrong and be made accountable if that's what they're doing. There are laws for a reason. I hope he finds something else where he can be himself and be happier.

I once was interviewing for a job and mentioned that I was in the National Guard and was going to need two weeks off for my annual training. Interview ended right then. I was able to find another job, but I contacted a lawyer who was willing to send them (a non-profit camp for disabled people) a letter letting them know that practice was illegal.

Employers do all kinds of dumb things sometimes. That place didn't want to deal with the headache of one less staff person for two weeks in the summer. The camp I did work at in the end had staff coming and going all summer.

Well the wait is over! First of all thank you everyone for your good wishes.
Pat got a call yesterday from - get this - Loss Prevention. In their terms that means security. He did not pick up the phone fast enough so he figured it was to come and get his stuff. Not so - Art, the guy who called was given the job by HR to ask Pat some questions. These questioned were very similar to the ones Pat's supervisor asked him. The last thing Art asked Pat was if there was anything he wanted to add to his comments that he did say on Friday. Pat said yes there is one thing. "Why didn't she ever tell me I was doing it wrong? I would have fixed it." Well, Art and Pat hung up. 24 hours later, Pat's supervisor called today and told him to report to work tomorrow for his normal shift. Her tone was rather sheepish and embarrassed. So Pat still has a job. I did tell him however, that if he is really upset about going back and working with her, he should keep applying for other jobs. I can not wait until he gets home tomorrow! Funny thing is, everyone we have told about the last comment he added, we all now wonder if she will be around much longer herself.

Glad that they saw the light & didn't fire him without adequate warnings to correct any errors that they felt he was making. They would have had a nice lawsuit on their hands if they had not considered that. ;)Hopefully he can find a new job AND they won't hear about it & fire him in the interim.

Good news! I'm glad to hear this all worked out.I would like to add my 2¢ worth by backing your suggestion to keep sending out resumes. It's always a good idea to have options, and on top of it all, he might find something better!

Yes, he has decided to go on-line and check out other hospitals in the area this weekend. He is in good spirits right now but he has not gotten to work yet. I told him not to talk to anyone about it. Especially in the office! I told him to think of his time off as a vacation and that he is simply returning to work. Let her make the first move BUT if you have any questions regarding using the new task schedule, he should ask. We will see how it goes.

Great news John! Hope everything works out for Pat and that today is a very good day for him.

I'm so glad that things worked out! I'm sorry you both had to go through such stress! It's amazing how some employers can get away with such things. Here's hoping someone scrutinizes her job and gives her a warning!

I agree with everyone here! I am also hoping that they intend to pay him for the days they sent him home to wait but I am sure you will find that out. Acting as he always has, being his normal self is the best thing he can do (though difficult) and should anyone ask, he really doesn't know what was going on but he did enjoy those vacation days! In essence, he truly didn't know what the problem was....Pat's grace will outshine the lack of professional etiquette bestowed on him. Just my 3 cents..Wonderful news!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Good news! I'm glad to hear this all worked out.

I would like to add my 2¢ worth by backing your suggestion to keep sending out resumes. It's always a good idea to have options, and on top of it all, he might find something better!

smart2cook said:
I agree with everyone here! I am also hoping that they intend to pay him for the days they sent him home to wait but I am sure you will find that out. Acting as he always has, being his normal self is the best thing he can do (though difficult) and should anyone ask, he really doesn't know what was going on but he did enjoy those vacation days! In essence, he truly didn't know what the problem was....Pat's grace will outshine the lack of professional etiquette bestowed on him. Just my 3 cents..Wonderful news!

Are you trying to outbid me?

Together we make a nickel - let's not turn this into a dime novel.

Well, it has been a few days since he returned. He was informed that 1) They no longer have to do a verbal or written warning and go right to terminate. 2) He will not get paid for the 31 hours he was out. 3) He has been really careful since he got back.
Here is one thing that has me miffed. I think he knew all along he was screwing it up and just did not care. I think he got pulled back into reality when he mentioned that he was almost sure that if they had fired him, they could fight unemployment and win. I never asked about it. I also thought so because he mentioned something about not being able to ask for a transfer for about a year because of this incident. I asked him why if it was not your fault. He changed the subject. Oh and I failed my vendor exam on Tuesday. I found out that every one of our IT instructors did the first time and the 6 other people in the same classes as I am in, DID TOO! I get a second shot at it but I decided, just like the others, to complete my last class first. If I try to do both, I simply will just screw myself up. SOON! SO SOON!

lt1jane - I agree. Employers do the dumbest things. Like not hiring someone because they need to be gone for two weeks a year. They want those freedoms you protect but are unwilling to give the time to the people who provide them. STUPID!!! Or they want the skills you have but because they have a "need a piece of paper" policy in place and can pay less for someone with the experience but not the paper, is also stupid. Or the "You're over qualified". Pass up someone who can do the job, because you think, (not with your head that far up your you know what), I am going to leave at the drop of a hat. I am 50! I am not as stupid as you apparently are!

1. What is the current state of unemployment and job insecurity?

The state of unemployment and job insecurity is frustrating as many people are losing their jobs or struggling to find employment due to a lack of available opportunities.

2. Why are there discrepancies in the number of jobs created and the number of people on unemployment?

The number of jobs created may not accurately reflect the number of people on unemployment because some individuals may have stopped receiving benefits or given up on filing for unemployment due to the prolonged search for employment.

3. How can financial struggles impact the ability to travel or handle unexpected expenses?

Financial struggles can greatly impact one's ability to travel or handle unexpected expenses, as they may not have the necessary funds to do so.

4. What are the possible reasons behind someone being put on suspension from their job?

There could be various reasons for someone being put on suspension from their job, such as not meeting performance expectations or violating company policies.

5. Is it common for job tasks and measurements to change without prior notice?

It is not common for job tasks and measurements to change without prior notice, and this could potentially cause confusion and discrepancies in job performance evaluations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies