• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trouble with the Frosting? Making a Snowman Cake

In summary, the author made a snowman cake and found that the frosting was too greasy. They are going to try using different ingredients and substitutions to make the frosting less greasy.
ChefMary412
So I made the snowman cake last night at a show... I had the cake pre-made and brought the makings for the frosting and decorations. Has anyone else had some trouble with the frosting? I feel that there was way too much left over and it was really "goopy". I think that might be because I used a little less shortening than I should have.
Any other ideas for frosting? I am not too keen on using veg. shortening. It did taste amazing.
I have step-by-step pictures of creating it. I will post those soon for anyone who wants to see. My sister in law was crazy with the camera... as NO ONE showed up for her show last night.. no one. After some wine she did not feel bad anymore! :)

Yes, please post pictures. I'm going to try making the snowman this weekend.

Haven't made it yet, but customers are LOVING the cookbook. I'll get more feedback when someone makes something, I'm sure. :)

My customers are loving the cookbook too. I have at least 2 bookings for November for Homemade For The Holidays Shows where they want to make the Snowman Cake...I'm going to have to practice so I know what I'm doing.

Yikes - one of them is coming up in less than 2 weeks!

I'm going to have to try this myself as well. I have a booth next Saturday and would love to make it for it. Please post your pictures when you can. I can't wait to see them.

I made this a couple of weeks ago and I thought the frosting was a little greasy. I am going to try substituting some butter for some of the veg. shortening. Maybe half and half. I thought the extra frosting was great for the 'snow' around the bottom. I only had maybe 2 cups left! Good luck! :chef:

let me know how it comes out with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening.

1. How do I prevent my frosting from melting on my snowman cake?

To prevent your frosting from melting, make sure to keep your cake in a cool, dry place until ready to serve. Avoid placing it near heat sources such as ovens or direct sunlight. You can also try using a frosting recipe that is specifically designed for decorating and holding its shape.

2. How can I get my frosting to be the right consistency for piping?

The consistency of your frosting is key when it comes to piping. If your frosting is too stiff, try adding a small amount of milk or cream to thin it out. If it is too soft, you can add more powdered sugar to stiffen it up. It's important to test the consistency by piping a small amount onto a plate before decorating your cake.

3. What type of frosting is best for making a snowman cake?

For a snowman cake, a buttercream frosting is typically the best choice. It is easy to work with and holds its shape well. However, you can also use cream cheese frosting for a tangier flavor or a whipped cream frosting for a lighter option.

4. How do I make my snowman cake look more realistic?

To make your snowman cake look more realistic, you can add details such as a carrot nose, coal eyes, and buttons made from chocolate chips or candies. You can also use a toothpick to create lines for a scarf or use different colored frostings to add dimension to your snowman's body.

5. Can I make a snowman cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make a snowman cake ahead of time. It is best to bake and decorate the cake the day before serving. Store it in the refrigerator, but make sure to let it come to room temperature before serving for the best taste and texture. You can also freeze the cake, just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• taterbug
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
smstrks
  • AnnieBee
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedpnina
  • its_me_susan