• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Top Classic SNL Skits: Belushi's Joe Cocker Impression and More!

In summary, the Joe Co*ker song on the radio reminded Jane of John Belushi's SNL skits and she started thinking about all the great ones. She loved Roseanne Rosannadanna, Lisa and Todd, and Baba Wawa. Chevy Chase was her favorite SNL performer, followed by Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, and then everyone else. Finally, Rae mentioned that she was also a fan of SNL from the old days and has seen nearly every episode.
pcchris
Silver Member
As I sit here, wondering if I've completely lost my mind, I'm listening to the radio, and a Joe Co*ker song is on the radio. For some odd reason, I started thinking about John Belushi imitating him in a skit on Saturday Night Live...so I was thinking - what is your favorite SNL skits? I'm "old school" - back when Belushi and Ackroyd and the others were on there...I loved Roseanne Rosannadanna, and Lisa and Todd...what did you like?

Point <---> Counterpoint"Jane, you ignorant slut."

I'm Chevy Chase....and you're not.

Akroid doing Julia Child - he sounded more like Julia Child than Julia Child did.

Gilda Radner doing anything!

I liked Baba Wawa....., Roseanne Roseannadanna (Like my father told me, it's always somethin'..)....

Loved Point......Counterpoint also!

And how about "Cheebugga, Cheebugga, no coke, PEPSI!"

The church lady. I miss her LOL I should get tv again sometime...haven't had it for years now.

ChefBeckyD said:
Gilda Radner doing anything!

I liked Baba Wawa....., Roseanne Roseannadanna (Like my father told me, it's always somethin'..)....

Loved Point......Counterpoint also!

And how about "Cheebugga, Cheebugga, no coke, PEPSI!"
The "Cheezbugga, cheezbugga, cheezbugga" line would mean even more to you if you ever went to the original Billy Goat Pub in Chicago. Now there's one on every block and you can pretty much get whatever you want.

Martin Short in the Men's Synchronized Swimming Olympic Training skit.
"I'm not a very strong swimmer..."

The church lady with Sean Penn

Buckwheat Sings
"Unce, tice, fee tines a mady.."

Steve Martin playing the banjo (not hugely funny--but man, can he play!)

And who could forget the Festrunk Brothers, "who cruise and swing so successfully in tight slacks"?

I love anything with Tracy Morgan as "Brian Fellows" Safari Planet but my favorite was when he asked if the flying squirrel was afraid to fly after 9/11.

Blues Brothers

Chevy Chase as President Ford (never has an accomplished athlete been portrayed so clumisly, but it was hysterical!)

Land shark!

Just thinking of Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, and the gang makes me smile.

raebates said:
Just thinking of Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, and the gang makes me smile.

Me too Rae! We are certainly dating ourselves but (cough cough) Those were the days, huh? :p I remember having SNL parties on Sat. nights.....we'd all get together and hang out at someones house until 11:30 when SNL would start. The days of my youth!:rolleyes: :)

Really lame I know but Mango with Chris Kataan... guy who partnered up with Will Farrell in the (Roxy) ?? Brothers skit. Adam Sandler and his funky character who sang on the news part. I guess I'm new school compared to the oldies but goodies.

ChefBeckyD said:
Me too Rae! We are certainly dating ourselves but (cough cough) Those were the days, huh? :p I remember having SNL parties on Sat. nights.....we'd all get together and hang out at someones house until 11:30 when SNL would start. The days of my youth!:rolleyes: :)

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes: I was never old enough to stay up and watch those classic episodes when they originally ran. I've just seen them in re-runs.

You guys believe me. Right? Huh? Why are all of you laughing?

Fine. My mom really did make me go to bed early until I got married at 18, so I honestly couldn't stay up that late. I saw most of the best stuff in re-runs. But, since I graduated from high school in 1981, I suppose I'm truly old enough to remember.

Dang, I'm getting old. :cool:

No one has ever done the news skit as well as Dennis Miller, in my opinion. So witty and biting. Great political satire/commentary.

Norm MacDonald was pretty funny at it, too, but just not quite the same. I think he had to stop doing the news when he dropped the f-bomb during it once...

Rae--my first major exposure to SNL was the 15-year reunion show; after that I was hooked. I have found and watched nearly every old episode. I love a show that you have to know something to understand, you know.

How could I forget Dennis Miller? He is a thinking-man's comic genius.

I think part of the appeal of the older seasons is that they were obviously having a ball. It's kind of like watching the old Carol Burnett skits. Those people were having so much fun I just had to laugh along.

Gotta say I loved the Adam Sandler singing bits. Still love Turkey day because they sometimes play the song on the radio.

My dad used to let me stay up late on Saturdays to watch SNL. I graduated in 86, so I was pretty young when the show came on...but sure do remember a LOT of things from it! My mom bought me an awesome DVD set for Christmas...brings back lots of memories!!! In the later years, Chris Farley at Matt Foley (the motivational speaker), and that one skit with Farley and Patrick Swayze trying out for Chippendales!!! OMG! That was hysterical!

Anyone remember Akroyd doing the "commercial" for the Bassmaster Blender? (I think that's what it was)...that was so SICK that it was funny.

Dennis Miller - YES! I love the way he did it all with a serious face!

Chris Farley & Patrick Swayze - you are so right - that was hilarious....

And the Bass-O-Matic - CLASSIC!

Steve Martin - Will always be one of my favorite comedians! "I was born a poor black child...." (Opening line to "THE JERK") And one of my all time favorite comedies - "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"!:D :D :D

Hey, I really was born a Black child. I know I'm white in the picture. My maiden name was Black. When The Jerk came out I fell in love with that line. I mean, seriously, I could check "clear" if it were an option on race, so telling people I was born a Black child always gets a great reaction.

My son tells people, "My mom was born a black child, but now she's a beautiful white woman--just like Michael Jackson."

Yep, that's my boy!

Brandie said:
Martin Short in the Men's Synchronized Swimming Olympic Training skit.
"I'm not a very strong swimmer..."

The church lady with Sean Penn

Buckwheat Sings
"Unce, tice, fee tines a mady.."

Steve Martin playing the banjo (not hugely funny--but man, can he play!)

And who could forget the Festrunk Brothers, "who cruise and swing so successfully in tight slacks"?
I think we might be twins, but with the synchronized swimming...do you remember, "I know you! I know you!"

And how bout PAT! Will anyone ever know if s/he is a he or she?

Oh yes, and of course...Emily Litella "well that's very different....never mind"!!
Gilda Radner was great! Taken from this world way too soon!!!

It amazes me the wealth of talent that came from that show! I will admit that I don't watch it too much anymore, and don't have a clue as to who the "not ready for prime time players" are right now. Can't beat the old shows from the 70's and early 80's!

I gotta FEEEVER and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5853/morecowbell5ri.gif

raebates said:
I think part of the appeal of the older seasons is that they were obviously having a ball. It's kind of like watching the old Carol Burnett skits. Those people were having so much fun I just had to laugh along.

Did you see the Carol Burnett skit where she was coming back from the store and set all her bags on the counter and tried to open the packages? The narrator would read the directions and then she would follow them, but nothing would open for her. Then she cut her finger, and couldn't even get the band-aids to open.

I have asked several people and not one person remembers it. I didn't watch much TV but do remember the fun that they had on Carol Burnett, especially Harvey Korman and Tim Conway.

I used to watch Carol Burnett too, and I do not remember the skit you're talking about on your post, Tina!!!! The thing I liked more about SNL is that they were a little naughtier...I think because it was on later at night, it wasn't considered a "family" show...so they could get away with more "naughty" stuff. Carol Burnett was funny too though!

krzymomof4 said:
Gotta say I loved the Adam Sandler singing bits. Still love Turkey day because they sometimes play the song on the radio.

The radio station in my town also plays Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song"!
He's quite a talent!

ChefBeckyD said:
Dennis Miller - YES! I love the way he did it all with a serious face!

Chris Farley & Patrick Swayze - you are so right - that was hilarious....

And the Bass-O-Matic - CLASSIC!

Steve Martin - Will always be one of my favorite comedians! "I was born a poor black child...." (Opening line to "THE JERK") And one of my all time favorite comedies - "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"!:D :D :D
Dennis Miller still does it all with a straight face, although no one ever did Weekend Update as well as Chevy Chase did it. Miller is now giving his old comrads fits because he has moved to the right over the years. I think I was the only person in North America who liked Miller on Monday Night Football.

Chris Farley was brilliant, and I wish Belushi and Farley would have lived long enough to work together. Tommy Boy was a great movie.

Steve Martin is one of the most incredible talents out there today and he is terribly under-appreciated. He is a very accomplished banjo player, too, as you may have noticed in the old SNL's where he guest hosted.

The best banjo player ever is a man named Earl Scruggs, who prefected a three-finger picking technique that bears his name. While he is probably most remembered for The Ballad of Jed Clampett (the theme to The Beverly Hillbilles) and 1973's Dueling Banjos of Deliverance fame, his signiture piece is, and always will be, Foggy Mountain Breakdown. Yes, you know it, probably as the theme to a movie called Bonnie & Clyde. Foggy Mountain Breakdown is the quintessential bluegrass breakdown and lent itself well to the Bonnie & Clyde chase scenes.

A few years ago, Earl Scruggs released a CD entitled Earl Scruggs and Friends where he recorded with several people you would not equate with a banjo, like Sting, Elton John, Paul Schafer and John Fogarty (amongst others) and the CD includes a version of Foggy Mountain Breakdown that has TWO solos - one by Scruggs himself and the other by Steve Martin. If you didn't read the notes, you would not know who played which solo - Martin is THAT good!

Martin was also the brains behind Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, a spoof of Film Noir private eye movies that mixed old footage with new, the first time such a technique was used. Martin interacted with Bogart and other Noir stars. The film, which I really liked, did not get good reviews, did not do well at the box office, yet it spawned a technique that has been used many time since.

And who else could coin a term like "rectal barometer?"

Sidebar: Speaking of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, I recently learned that Clyde Barrow had a brother, named Buck, who was a lot better looking than his famous brother. (IMHO, anyway.) Buck had a sweetheart named Blanche. The gang escaped to Iowa from a police blockade in Missouri in 1933. Buck died in Iowa from wounds he received during the escape, and Blanche was arrested. She served time, but maintained her innocence to her dying day, saying that she only went along with the gang to be with her husband.

Blanche also said the famous "I only steal Fords" letter, to Henry Ford from Clyde Barrow, was a FoMoCo publicity stunt but is still fun to talk about today.

If you have any doubt as to the talent of Patrick Swayze...http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1783/1126/lo/co2.jpg...go rent To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar.

Tina, have no fear. You are not losing your mind. I remember that skit. It was hysterical! Like so many, it started out fairly normal and went waaaay off the deep end.KG, we obviously have very similar tastes in humor and banjo. I agree completely with your post about Dennis Miller, Chris Farley, John Belushi (though I really enjoy his brother, Jim), Steve Martin, and Earl Scruggs. And, yes, when I share bits of your humor with my DS, he wonders if you two are long lost relatives.Steve Martin had a bit he did. A singing coach had told his girlfriend that she needed to learn to sing from her diaphragm. ("That must take years to learn!") I was young enough at the time not to get the joke. Years later, when it clicked, it stuck. Now I think about that every time I take a deep breath and sing from my diaphragm.

Thanks - an that dress is too nice for Patrick to be wearing, isn't it?

1. What is the most iconic SNL skit featuring John Belushi?

The most iconic SNL skit featuring John Belushi is his impression of Joe Cocker, where he hilariously mimics Cocker's unique singing style and mannerisms.

2. Which classic SNL characters do you personally enjoy?

I personally enjoy Roseanne Rosannadanna, played by Gilda Radner, and Lisa and Todd, played by Jane Curtin and Bill Murray, respectively. These characters were known for their outrageous and unpredictable behavior, making them fan favorites.

3. What other classic skits from the Belushi era do you recommend?

Other classic skits from the Belushi era that I recommend include the "Samurai" sketches, where Belushi played a samurai warrior in various modern settings, and the "Blues Brothers" sketches, where Belushi and Dan Aykroyd performed as their musical duo characters.

4. How did the SNL skits from the Belushi era differ from current skits?

The SNL skits from the Belushi era had a more improvisational and unpredictable feel, as the cast members often ad-libbed and broke character. They also tended to be more politically and socially charged, often satirizing current events and public figures.

5. Are there any modern SNL skits that pay homage to the classic era?

Yes, there have been several modern SNL skits that pay homage to the classic era, such as "The Californians" sketches, which feature a similar style of over-the-top character acting, and the "Celebrity Jeopardy" sketches, which often feature impressions of classic SNL characters like Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds.

Back