• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lessons Learned Making S'mores Cake in a Dutch Oven: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the speaker tried making a S'mores Cake in a RC Dutch Oven for the first time but encountered some challenges. The chocolate was not fully melted when the cake went under the broiler, causing flames to shoot out of the oven. The speaker was able to salvage the marshmallows and cake, but the chocolate ended up overcooked. They used chocolate syrup instead and the end result was still tasty. The speaker also shares their experience using chocolate chips instead of candy bars and mentions that the recipe cannot be made in the DCB. They are also seeking advice for making the cake at a show using both the Everyday Rockcrok and Dutch Oven Rockcrok.
esavvymom
Staff member
I tried the S'mores Cake for the first time tonight using my RC Dutch Oven. I'm trying to like my RC, so thought I'd give this a go!

I had the chocolate mostly melted...but NOT quite done. When I put the cake with the marshmallows on top under the broiler, I then hit the button on the microwave to give another 30 seconds to my chocolate (hit the minute button though). I opened the oven door to check my marshmallows (maybe 15 seconds had gone by). WHOOOSH! Flames start shooting out! Scared the crap out of me! I slammed the door shut, turned it off and just watched it slowly die down and my marshmallows get nice and charred. :( I had the fire extinguisher on standby. After it burned down, I opened the door and made sure to quickly put the lid on it just in case it flared up again.

I thought it was ruined...or at least the marshmallows. I was going to scrape them off to salvage at least the cake for my kids. Turns out, I was able to easily scrape off the charred marshmallow, just like you would at a campfire- pop off the outer burn, and eat the inner goo. A few char flakes got in the underlying marshmallow goo, but I put the graham crackers on top. MY CHOCOLATE though, because I was so focused on the fire, got over done and 'seized' into one solid lump. So I used just drizzled some Nestle Chocolate syrup on it...not alot, because I knew it wasn't quite the same, but it was enough.

Tasted quite good actually, after all of that! haha phew!

I will say, I saw someone ask about using chocolate chips instead of candy bar. I only had 2 candy bars, so I used some milk chocolate chips (same brand)...they do NOT melt down as nice. That was why I had to reheat my chocolate in the first place. I should have just dug deeper in my pantry box and gotten the candy melting chocolates out.

And I saw in another post ask if you could make this in the DCB. No. You couldn't put the cake/marshmallows under the broiler because it is stone.

So, can the S'mores Cake be made in both the Everyday Rockcrok, as well as the Dutch Oven Rockcrok? Same recipe, same time? I have a show tonight, and I need to make 2 recipe's worth, as she is expecting 18-20 people.
I've never made this before, but, since these pans are the same 9" circumference, I thought it might work. Has anyone tried it in both of these pans? Results the same, etc? Also, any tips for making at a show are welcome as well! Thanks in advance!

You could try to do it in the microwave, but I wouldn't recommend it. The broiler gives the marshmallows that nice golden brown color and crispy top. The microwave won't do that. I'd stick to using the dutch oven.Overall, I'd say it was a success, even with the fire! My kids loved it and I'm sure I'll make it again! :)

1. What ingredients do I need to make the S'mores Cake?

You will need graham crackers, melted butter, sugar, chocolate chips, heavy cream, marshmallows, and a cake mix.

2. Can I make the S'mores Cake without a cake mix?

Yes, you can make the cake from scratch using flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, and oil.

3. How do I assemble the S'mores Cake?

First, make a graham cracker crust with the crushed graham crackers and melted butter. Then, mix the cake batter and pour it over the crust. Top with chocolate chips and marshmallows. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.

4. Can I use a different type of chocolate instead of chocolate chips?

Yes, you can use any type of chocolate you prefer, such as chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate bars.

5. Can I make the S'mores Cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the cake a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Just make sure to let it come to room temperature before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • akrebecca
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
akrebecca
Replies