1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: S'Mores Cake - lessons

1. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I tried the S'mores Cake for the first time tonight using my RC Dutch Oven. I'm trying to like my RC, so thought I'd give this a go!

I had the chocolate mostly melted...but NOT quite done. When I put the cake with the marshmallows on top under the broiler, I then hit the button on the microwave to give another 30 seconds to my chocolate (hit the minute button though). I opened the oven door to check my marshmallows (maybe 15 seconds had gone by). WHOOOSH! Flames start shooting out! Scared the crap out of me! I slammed the door shut, turned it off and just watched it slowly die down and my marshmallows get nice and charred. :( I had the fire extinguisher on standby. After it burned down, I opened the door and made sure to quickly put the lid on it just in case it flared up again.

I thought it was ruined...or at least the marshmallows. I was going to scrape them off to salvage at least the cake for my kids. Turns out, I was able to easily scrape off the charred marshmallow, just like you would at a campfire- pop off the outer burn, and eat the inner goo. A few char flakes got in the underlying marshmallow goo, but I put the graham crackers on top. MY CHOCOLATE though, because I was so focused on the fire, got over done and 'seized' into one solid lump. So I used just drizzled some Nestle Chocolate syrup on it...not alot, because I knew it wasn't quite the same, but it was enough.

Tasted quite good actually, after all of that! haha phew!

I will say, I saw someone ask about using chocolate chips instead of candy bar. I only had 2 candy bars, so I used some milk chocolate chips (same brand)...they do NOT melt down as nice. That was why I had to reheat my chocolate in the first place. I should have just dug deeper in my pantry box and gotten the candy melting chocolates out.

And I saw in another post ask if you could make this in the DCB. No. You couldn't put the cake/marshmallows under the broiler because it is stone.

Mar 12, 2014
  2. Paula R. Lewis

Paula R. Lewis Advanced Member Gold Member

So, can the S'mores Cake be made in both the Everyday Rockcrok, as well as the Dutch Oven Rockcrok? Same recipe, same time? I have a show tonight, and I need to make 2 recipe's worth, as she is expecting 18-20 people.
    I've never made this before, but, since these pans are the same 9" circumference, I thought it might work. Has anyone tried it in both of these pans? Results the same, etc? Also, any tips for making at a show are welcome as well! Thanks in advance!

Have something to add?