• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing Odors from Rectangular Stones - Tips from Vicks

In summary, the person's non PC stone retained an oder and made the crust taste funny. They are worried that the same thing might happen with their HOme and Garden Party stone.
Vicks
I recently met someone at my Fair booth and she mentioned she has the rectangular stone and it smells. I've never heard anyone have a smelly stone. In fact, I've always been told/thought that part of the seasoning process made it so that odors would NOT absorb into the stones. My Director and Recruiter both said it shouldn't smell. She says that it smells like old oil and a foul smell. I asked her if she ever washed it with soap and she said never. Only hot water and the scraper.

Any tips on how to get the smell out?? I suggested maybe cooking with high fat foods, or refrigerated crescent rolls and such. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
~Vicks

Some people are more sensitive to smells than others. Someone came to me once wondering how to get the "oil stink" out of their stone and, frankly, I couldn't smell anything on it. She used baking soda paste to clean it and was happy.

I also think that a lot of people WANT to think that the stone will smell. Know what I mean?

I suppose she could run it though the self cleaning cycle in her oven... she'd be starting over with an unseasoned stone but she wouldn't think it would stink after that... I'd have her try the baking soda idea first.

The self-cleaning cycle would be too hot for the stone. It is actually hotter than the broil setting. I found out the hard way.......

If she has a buildup of oil on the stone, it could be getting a little rancid smelling. My cousin wasn't washing hers with HOT enough water, so she got a build up of grease that was kindof sticky. I am sure if it was there long enough that it would start to smell! I would tell her to use baking soda paste, let it sit on there for a while, and SCRUB. Then, use VERY HOT water! She may have to repeat this.

Also---tell her to ball up some newspaper and fill up the inside of the stone with paper. Newspaper absorbs odors. (But, if the stuff ON the stone stinks, she needs to get that STUFF off!)

Good luck!

quiverfull7 said:
I suppose she could run it though the self cleaning cycle in her oven... she'd be starting over with an unseasoned stone but she wouldn't think it would stink after that... I'd have her try the baking soda idea first.

YIKES!!! Don't tell people they can do this! It can cause a fire! Check the PIG pages regarding cleaning stones in a self-cleaning oven.

Also, be sure it's a PC stone she is talking about! Our stones are fired at something like 2000F so they won't retain odors. Cheaper stones like the ones at WalMart or Target are fired at a lower temp, and always are smelly.

I had a customer's stone that smell after cooking shrimp on it. It was exchanged by HO.

One of my guests bought a large bar pan at a yardsale and said it smelled like basement. She wanted to know what to do to make it usable again. I told her to scrub it with a baking soda paste and then put it through her dishwasher with no soap. She called back so happy because now the stone looked beautiful and no longer had a smell to it!

Thanks gang! I'll let her know! If all else, I'll direct her to HO if she's not satisfied. I'm pretty sure it's still under waranty. Thanks! :D
~Vicks

My large bar pan retained a fishy odor when I cooked fish on it the first or second time out of the box. I had successfully cooked fish on an older stone many times, so was very surprised when this happened. I went through the baking soda scrub and hot water routine several times, but then just exchanged it with HO.

For the new one, I made sure to only cook bland biscuits the first 2 times!

Here's info on deep-cleaning your stones:

Deep Cleaning
• Prepare a baking soda paste by mixing 1/2 cup baking soda with 3 tablespoons water.
• Apply baking soda paste to desired areas and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Scrape off excess paste using the Nylon Pan Scraper. Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing

I have a non PC stone(gift) I hate it...I could never get it seasoned and everything sticks to it. Anyhow....the other night I had my round stone and bar pan with me at a show so my husband used the "other" stone to cook a pizza on....He said it had an oder and made the crust taste funny. I think the stone is HOme and Garden Party....I never use it b/c of this reason and it is heavy...I guess I just need to toss it but hate to b/c my aunt gave it to me.

Just say oops, it broke and get rid of it. If it doesn't make you happy, you don't need to hold on to it. Other option is to take it to shows and say this is what a non-PC stone smells like.

Thanks for these tips! My DCB smells to me, but I am hypersensitive to smells anyway. BUT yesterday at my show as the guests were passing it around, I heard someone say that it smelled. I'll have to try to baking soda on it.

1. How do I remove odors from my rectangular stone?

To remove odors from your rectangular stone, you can try using a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water. Simply spray the solution onto the stone and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before wiping it off with a damp cloth. You can also try using a baking soda paste and letting it sit on the stone for a few hours before wiping it off.

2. Can I use Vicks to remove odors from my rectangular stone?

Yes, Vicks VapoRub can be used to remove odors from your rectangular stone. Simply apply a thin layer of Vicks onto the stone and let it sit for a few hours before wiping it off with a damp cloth. The menthol in Vicks helps to neutralize odors.

3. How often should I remove odors from my rectangular stone?

It is recommended to remove odors from your rectangular stone every 2-3 months, or as needed. If you notice strong odors or residue buildup, it may be time to clean your stone.

4. Can I use soap and water to clean my rectangular stone?

No, it is not recommended to use soap and water to clean your rectangular stone as it can leave a soapy residue and affect the flavor of your food. Stick to using natural cleaning methods such as vinegar, baking soda, or Vicks.

5. How do I prevent odors from building up on my rectangular stone?

To prevent odors from building up on your rectangular stone, make sure to properly clean and dry it after each use. You can also try storing it in a sealed container or bag to prevent any outside odors from seeping into the stone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sburnside
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
Mystik
Replies
Views
GeorgiaPeach