• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! Smelly Food Chopper Won't Go Away

In summary, the customer's food chopper is smelly and she is trying various methods to get the smell off, but nothing is working. Eventually, lemon juice removes the smell. The customer also tries a sink fizz and a veggie spray, both of which work.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I have a customer who is complaining of a smelly food chopper. She used it to chop onions and now can't get the smell off of it. Everything I have told her to try she says is not working. We tried baking soda and bleach water. Any ideas?

Maybe it doesn't smell any more and she's so used to it that she can still smell it. You might offer to pick it up and throw it in your dishwasher (if you have one). Maybe she doesn't know to take it all apart and there's a piece of onion still in the chopper somewhere. Have you actually smelled it?

If she's letting food sit in there for awhile before cleaning it or sticking it in the dishwasher, maybe it gets all dried up way up in the blades. I know that happens to me with onions if I let it sit all day and it's not in water. I've used a baby bottle nipple brush to clean way up in those blades if I'm afraid something might have dried on a little. THEN I stick it in the dishwasher. And, yes, make sure she knows you should take it all apart before cleaning it. If she doesn't know that, who knows what kinds of nasty stuff is up there. :eek:

I have found that lemon juice takes the stink out of even the most atrocious smells. It works great on garlic - so it ought to be great on onions. Just let it soak overnight in a little lemon juice/water combo and it will be almost brand new.

lemonsUse the chopper to puree the lemon,so it goes up and down where the onion would have gotten into.
Or take a lemon wedge and wipe down the blades and the inside.

Good Luck

veggie spray works too...I've found that the veggie wash sprays that you buy work very well to take out the onion and garlic smells from utensils and even your hands. They're made with citrus oils to safely clean fruits and veggies. I keep it on hand to clean my produce, but now it does double duty. I spray it on the smelly object, wait a few seconds, and wash as usual. It works great!

Just curious how this turned out. :)

Never heard that one...However, it does make sense. Plastic does absorb oders. It does sound though as if she is not cleaning it properly or not soon enough. I actually use the brush from the Baster to get into the tight blade areas because sometimes even my dishwasher won't get out everything. There is nothing worse than pulling it apart at a show and finding something stuck in the upper part either. Gross!
You can bleach it as well but you could also try the soaking it in the Sink Fizz as I found that will clean and deoderize a garbage disposal so why not a Food Chopper.

Thanks for the tips

1. How do I get rid of the smell in my food chopper?

To eliminate the lingering odor in your food chopper, try soaking the blades and container in a solution of warm water and white vinegar. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice or baking soda to the mixture for added freshness. Let it sit for a few hours before rinsing and drying thoroughly.

2. Why does my food chopper have a strong odor?

The strong smell in your food chopper is most likely caused by small food particles that have become trapped in the blades or container. Over time, these particles can grow bacteria and produce unpleasant odors. It is important to regularly clean your food chopper after each use to prevent this from happening.

3. Can I use soap to clean my food chopper?

Yes, you can use a mild dish soap to clean your food chopper. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly with warm water afterwards to remove any soap residue. You can also use a small amount of white vinegar in the cleaning solution to help remove any lingering odors.

4. How often should I clean my food chopper?

It is recommended to clean your food chopper after each use, especially if you have chopped strong-smelling foods like garlic or onions. If you use your food chopper less frequently, be sure to give it a thorough cleaning before storing it to prevent any odors from developing.

5. Can I put my food chopper in the dishwasher?

It depends on the specific model of your food chopper. Some models are dishwasher safe, while others are not. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions or product manual before putting your food chopper in the dishwasher. If it is not dishwasher safe, simply clean it by hand with warm water and soap.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jane the PC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies