• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do you handle picky eaters when testing recipes?

In summary, my first night to debut some PC cooking in my home, my husband had invite a friend and her kids from work over for dinner, and I prepared the Lemon Herb Chicken Ring. Well, about half an hour before they were supposed to get here, she called and bailed. OK, fine, more for us. Well, neither my husband or son cared for the recipe. "Too lemony." "Would have been better with biscuits than croissants." So I have about half to take for work tomorrow. I hope it reheats well.Other than that, everything works great. I am in "practice" mode using everything (this is my second use of the stone). Took me a while to get the
pelamm
Well, tonight was my first night to debut some PC cooking in my home. My husband had invite a friend and her kids from work over for dinner, and I prepared the Lemon Herb Chicken Ring. Well, about half an hour before they were supposed to get here, she called and bailed. OK, fine, more for us. Well, neither my husband or son cared for the recipe. "Too lemony." "Would have been better with biscuits than croissants." So I have about half to take for work tomorrow. I hope it reheats well.

Other than that, everything works great. I am in "practice" mode using everything (this is my second use of the stone). Took me a while to get the zester to dig in, though, and my hand cramped.

Anyone else deal with picky eaters at home? How do you practice recipes - just make and take to work?

I have found that the rings don't reheat well.the bread gets chewy and sometimes soggy.I eat it anyway, but fyi

chicken ringI love the lemon herb chicken ring I thought it was delicious! I'm surprised they didn't like it. I actually didn't use lemon juice from a lemon because I didn't have one at the time. (I used lemon juice from the bottle :eek: ) So I didn't think mine was that lemony. Maybe thats why they thought the lemony taste was strong. You guys are right about reheating rings although they are still yummy. Maybe if they were reheated in the oven they would taste better? Anyone know? I've never tried that. My first month as a pampered chef consultant I only made PC recipe's for dinner. My husband was thrilled because he loves PC food. :p So every night for a month I practiced using the PC tools with the recipes. It was an easy and fun way to get in practice!

A tipHere is a tip for you. I never put lemon juice in the Lemon Herb Chicken Ring recipe. Instead, I bake the chicken with a lemon pepper seasoning prior to making the recipe.
After the ring bakes, I then zest, score and slice the lemon for garnish around the stone. It takes fabulous this way!
Hope this tip helps!
Cheers,
Angela

Hmmmm, I didn't use juice, I used zest... maybe if I had cut that in half. Still leaves me with the crescent-roll-complainer. :p LOL

If you reheat it on the stone, it will not be nasty. If you have the small bar pan, you can reheat it in the toaster oven without having to fire up the oven.

The recipe for the Lemon Herb Chicken ring does not call for lemon juice, only the zest. I have made this at numerous shows and everyone just raves about the flavor that the lemon zest adds. Try it with just the zest. Good luck :D

I reheated in the small oval baker (still just have my starter kit) and only had access to microwaves. It wasn't really crispy, but at least it wasn't slimy.

crescent roll issureHey - what you can do to use the biscuits is use the stoneware muffin pan, flattened each biscuit lay it across the muffin area and put your mixture in there - forms a little purse - VERY good that way too!!!

Adressing picky eatersWhen testing recipes, I do not use my children unless it is a children's recipe! Or dessert, and even that is iffy) I find they are not into rings, and all the other "cute" dishes PC is in to.. they like what they are used to. Unless it is a variation of something they know, (like pizza,etc) then maybe.

My husband and I test the recipes together, and I just really try to be honest with myself... if I don't love it I can't make it for any one else. In my short time with PC I have found that the biggest thing you can sell is your enthusiasm and honest belief about what you're doing~ if you don't love it, it won't come across well at all. We're here to show them the great part of PC, whether it is the products, recipe or yourself. The hubby is a good sounding board, however, I've found.

My opinion only: I wouldn't try a recipe on people at work. What if they don't like it?? I don't work, but aren't they potential customers, hosts, recruits?? Why give them the impression that PC has some mediocre or downright yucky recipes?? (although I haven't found that, it is personal taste). We don't sell the recipe, but it still gives an impression.

Take this all with the finest grain of salt, I am new to PC and may not know one thing I am talking about! I am just saying common sense stuff that I thought while reading the post :)

1. How can I get my picky eater to try new foods?

One way to get your picky eater to try new foods is to involve them in the cooking process. Let them choose a recipe and help prepare it. This will make them more likely to try the new dish because they had a hand in making it. You can also try introducing new foods in small portions and gradually increasing the amount over time.

2. My child only wants to eat junk food. How can I encourage healthier eating habits?

It's important to lead by example and have a variety of healthy foods available in the house. You can also make healthier versions of their favorite junk foods, like homemade pizza with whole wheat crust and lots of veggies. Another tip is to make eating healthy fun by using cookie cutters to create fun shapes with fruits and vegetables.

3. My picky eater refuses to eat vegetables. What can I do?

Try disguising vegetables in dishes that your child already enjoys. For example, you can blend vegetables into a pasta sauce or mix them into a smoothie. You can also make vegetables more appealing by adding a dip or sauce for dipping. Another tip is to offer a variety of options and let your child choose which vegetable they want to try.

4. How can I make mealtime less stressful with a picky eater?

It's important to remember that picky eating is a normal part of a child's development. Try to make mealtimes enjoyable and stress-free by involving your child in the meal planning and preparation. You can also offer a variety of foods and let your child choose what they want to eat. If your child refuses to eat a certain food, don't force them to eat it, but continue to offer it in small portions over time.

5. My picky eater only wants to eat the same thing every day. What should I do?

If your child has a limited diet, it's important to make sure they are still getting all the necessary nutrients. You can try offering the same food in different forms, such as steamed, roasted, or pureed. You can also try introducing new foods that have a similar texture or flavor to the food your child enjoys. Gradually increasing the variety in their diet can help expand their palate over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SusanPC
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
MaddyandOwensMom
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies