• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Your Slow Cooker Stand Too Hot? Find Out Here!

In summary, the Slow Cooker stand is significantly hotter than any of the other slow cookers I have. The actual stand is also very hot to the touch.
kam
Staff member
I just got the Slow Cooker stand to use with the Rockcroks. Using it for the first time today.I have it on LOW - but it seems to be cooking hot.Also, the outside of the cooker is hot as well. My other slow cookers are certainly very warm while cooking, but not as hot as the outside of the Slow Cooker stand. It is too hot to even barely touch. The handles are even very warm - I can touch them - but not for any length of time.For anyone else who has this --- is this normal??THANKS!

I didn't notice anything unusual when I used ours. . .but we've only used it a couple of times.

chefjeanine said:
I didn't notice anything unusual when I used ours. . .but we've only used it a couple of times.
Thanks!I think I am going to call them. The actual stand was significantly hotter than any of my other slow cookers have ever been.Also, I had it on LOW, my meal called for 4-6 hours on low and it was just about done at 2 hrs - and the sauce was boiling a bit at 2-1/2 hrs. I cooked something that I have cooked many times before, so I know what it should look like at certain points.

kam said:
Thanks!I think I am going to call them. The actual stand was significantly hotter than any of my other slow cookers have ever been.Also, I had it on LOW, my meal called for 4-6 hours on low and it was just about done at 2 hrs - and the sauce was boiling a bit at 2-1/2 hrs. I cooked something that I have cooked many times before, so I know what it should look like at certain points.
Please let us know what you hear!

chefjeanine said:
Please let us know what you hear!
I called solutions center and will return it and they are sending me a new one. I really hope it works well. I really need it to work on Low.

Thank you for this! I have a customer complaining of the same thing. I believe I will call PC for her.

I have the same issue with mine! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I have used mine several times and did not notice it being excessively hot.

Sent mine back on May 20th. Just got the replacement last night, June 8th. Hopefully this one will work right!

OK, NOT impressed with the slow cooker stand at all. I just received the replacement stand and it is the same as the original.After only 10 minutes on LOW, the OUTSIDE (not the RockCrok) of the actual unit is Blazin' HOT! My Crockpot brand ones DO get very warm on the outside - but not BURNING hot like this. At least not on low. I really don't use crockpots on high, so I do not know how hot the other ones would get on high.My dinner is completely cooked at 4 hrs on LOW and it should have taken 7-8 hrs on LOW. I would not want to see this cooker on HIGH.Since this is the replacement one, I have to assume this is how it is supposed to be. I have no use for a slow cooker that only cooks on high. Oh well. Just googled testing a slow cooker and found out a way to test temp with water in a slow cooker. I will test next weekend. On low, the temp should get to 185 deg, 300 deg on high. Since my liquid is boiling at the 2-3 hr mark, and boiling is 212 deg, I am pretty sure that is too high. But I will test!

kam said:
OK, NOT impressed with the slow cooker stand at all. I just received the replacement stand and it is the same as the original.After only 10 minutes on LOW, the OUTSIDE (not the RockCrok) of the actual unit is Blazin' HOT! My Crockpot brand ones DO get very warm on the outside - but not BURNING hot like this. At least not on low. I really don't use crockpots on high, so I do not know how hot the other ones would get on high.My dinner is completely cooked at 4 hrs on LOW and it should have taken 7-8 hrs on LOW. I would not want to see this cooker on HIGH.Since this is the replacement one, I have to assume this is how it is supposed to be. I have no use for a slow cooker that only cooks on high. Oh well.Just googled testing a slow cooker and found out a way to test temp with water in a slow cooker. I will test next weekend. On low, the temp should get to 185 deg, 300 deg on high. Since my liquid is boiling at the 2-3 hr mark, and boiling is 212 deg, I am pretty sure that is too high. But I will test!
Please let us know!

Kathleen, are you using the Everyday or the Dutch Oven?

chefjeanine said:
Kathleen, are you using the Everyday or the Dutch Oven?
The smaller one (Everyday?)...do you think that has something to do with it? I always thought that you shouldn't put "too little" in a crockpot. The smaller one matched the amount of what I was putting in.

kam said:
The smaller one (Everyday?)...do you think that has something to do with it? I always thought that you shouldn't put "too little" in a crockpot. The smaller one matched the amount of what I was putting in.
I'm wondering if that could be an issue. . . don't have a definitive answer for you. But, maybe it would make a difference.

chefjeanine said:
I'm wondering if that could be an issue. . . don't have a definitive answer for you. But, maybe it would make a difference.
That's a good thought. I was trying to make a meal that I had made tons of times in my regular crockpot. That way I would know it wasn't the recipe - but one that I knew what to expect. I'll post my findings when I test the temp this weekend!

I just ran a test with water and from everything I have read, the temp SHOULD be 185. After only 3 hours it was at 211 degrees. So, it is definitely very close to boiling temp. It was at 190 after 2 hours and I am thinking it may have gotten hotter at 4 hours (I just didn't have time tonight to let it go longer.)I guess I will have to call, but since this IS the replacement unit, I am not sure they are going to be willing to send another one. I am very disappointed in this. I have about 7 crockpots ranging from very small dip size all the way to 6 qt, Cheap ones to expensive ones and NONE of them have ever cooked this hot at low. "Low" has always been "low". I really was hoping this would work and could perhaps replace a few of my existing ones, plus provide the flexibility that the RockCrocks provide.

:( Thanks for the update, Kathleen. While I've not had a problem, I'm guessing this is the norm for all of them.

1. How do I adjust the temperature on my slow cooker?

The temperature on a slow cooker is typically adjusted with a dial or button on the front of the appliance. Simply turn the dial or press the button to the desired temperature setting. It is important to note that most slow cookers have low, medium, and high heat settings, rather than specific temperature settings.

2. Can I leave my slow cooker unattended while it is cooking?

Yes, slow cookers are designed to be left unattended while cooking. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions. Make sure to place the slow cooker on a flat, heat-resistant surface and keep it away from any flammable objects.

3. How do I know when my slow cooker is done cooking?

Most slow cookers have a built-in timer or will automatically switch to a "warm" setting when the cooking time is up. However, if your slow cooker does not have these features, you can use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of your dish. The USDA recommends that food cooked in a slow cooker reach an internal temperature of 165°F to be safe to eat.

4. Can I cook frozen food in a slow cooker?

It is not recommended to put frozen food directly into a slow cooker. This can cause the food to spend too much time in the "danger zone" (40°F-140°F) where bacteria can grow. It is best to thaw frozen food in the refrigerator before adding it to the slow cooker.

5. Is it safe to use a slow cooker overnight?

While it is generally safe to use a slow cooker overnight, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions. Make sure the slow cooker is on a flat, heat-resistant surface and keep it away from any flammable objects. It is also recommended to use a timer or have someone check on the slow cooker periodically during the night.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thechefofnorthbend
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
tlennhoff
  • LakesideMom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
luvinpc
Replies