1. Join Chef Success Today!
    We're the #1 Pampered Chef Consultant Community. Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files, images, discussions etc! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Slow Cooker is very hot

Discussion in 'Products and Tips' started by kam, May 13, 2017.

1. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

I just got the Slow Cooker stand to use with the Rockcroks. Using it for the first time today.

I have it on LOW - but it seems to be cooking hot.

Also, the outside of the cooker is hot as well. My other slow cookers are certainly very warm while cooking, but not as hot as the outside of the Slow Cooker stand. It is too hot to even barely touch. The handles are even very warm - I can touch them - but not for any length of time.

For anyone else who has this --- is this normal??

THANKS!

May 13, 2017
  2. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Senior Member Gold Member

I didn't notice anything unusual when I used ours. . .but we've only used it a couple of times.

May 15, 2017
  3. kam

Thanks!

I think I am going to call them. The actual stand was significantly hotter than any of my other slow cookers have ever been.

Also, I had it on LOW, my meal called for 4-6 hours on low and it was just about done at 2 hrs - and the sauce was boiling a bit at 2-1/2 hrs. I cooked something that I have cooked many times before, so I know what it should look like at certain points.

May 15, 2017
  4. chefjeanine

Please let us know what you hear!

May 20, 2017
  5. kam

I called solutions center and will return it and they are sending me a new one. I really hope it works well. I really need it to work on Low.

May 20, 2017
    chefjeanine likes this.
  6. Thank you for this! I have a customer complaining of the same thing. I believe I will call PC for her.

May 23, 2017
  7. I have the same issue with mine! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

May 30, 2017
  8. I have used mine several times and did not notice it being excessively hot.

9. kam

Sent mine back on May 20th. Just got the replacement last night, June 8th. Hopefully this one will work right!

Jun 9, 2017
    chefjeanine likes this.
  10. kam

OK, NOT impressed with the slow cooker stand at all. I just received the replacement stand and it is the same as the original.

After only 10 minutes on LOW, the OUTSIDE (not the RockCrok) of the actual unit is Blazin' HOT! My Crockpot brand ones DO get very warm on the outside - but not BURNING hot like this. At least not on low. I really don't use crockpots on high, so I do not know how hot the other ones would get on high.

My dinner is completely cooked at 4 hrs on LOW and it should have taken 7-8 hrs on LOW. I would not want to see this cooker on HIGH.

Since this is the replacement one, I have to assume this is how it is supposed to be. I have no use for a slow cooker that only cooks on high. Oh well.

Just googled testing a slow cooker and found out a way to test temp with water in a slow cooker. I will test next weekend. On low, the temp should get to 185 deg, 300 deg on high. Since my liquid is boiling at the 2-3 hr mark, and boiling is 212 deg, I am pretty sure that is too high. But I will test!

Jun 11, 2017
  11. chefjeanine

Please let us know!

Jun 12, 2017
  12. chefjeanine

Kathleen, are you using the Everyday or the Dutch Oven?

Jun 12, 2017
  13. kam

The smaller one (Everyday?)...do you think that has something to do with it? I always thought that you shouldn't put "too little" in a crockpot. The smaller one matched the amount of what I was putting in.

Jun 13, 2017
  14. chefjeanine

I'm wondering if that could be an issue. . . don't have a definitive answer for you. But, maybe it would make a difference.

Jun 13, 2017
  15. kam

That's a good thought. I was trying to make a meal that I had made tons of times in my regular crockpot. That way I would know it wasn't the recipe - but one that I knew what to expect.

I'll post my findings when I test the temp this weekend!

Jun 13, 2017
    chefjeanine likes this.
  16. kam

I just ran a test with water and from everything I have read, the temp SHOULD be 185. After only 3 hours it was at 211 degrees. So, it is definitely very close to boiling temp. It was at 190 after 2 hours and I am thinking it may have gotten hotter at 4 hours (I just didn't have time tonight to let it go longer.)

I guess I will have to call, but since this IS the replacement unit, I am not sure they are going to be willing to send another one.

I am very disappointed in this. I have about 7 crockpots ranging from very small dip size all the way to 6 qt, Cheap ones to expensive ones and NONE of them have ever cooked this hot at low. "Low" has always been "low". I really was hoping this would work and could perhaps replace a few of my existing ones, plus provide the flexibility that the RockCrocks provide.

Jun 28, 2017
  17. chefjeanine

:( Thanks for the update, Kathleen. While I've not had a problem, I'm guessing this is the norm for all of them.

Jun 30, 2017
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted