• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sliced Through My Flexible Cutting Mat

In summary, the conversation is about the use of a 5" utility forged cutlery on a flexible cutting mat. Some users have experienced the mat getting cut easily, while others have not had any issues. The product information guide advises against using sharp knives on the mat, but the description of the mat suggests it can be used for light cutting tasks. There is confusion about what types of food the mat can be used for and whether it is a problem product. Some users have not had any issues with the mat, while others have experienced cut marks and some have even cut through the mat. It is suggested to contact the company for clarification and to potentially get a replacement.
Lifeat50
I was cutting veggies for veg beef soup last night using my 5" utility forged cutlery. I cut through the mat. Has anyone else had this problem? :confused:

I have not even tryed them yet. That sure does stink. They should be covered for replacment don't you think. geez....

You'd think they'd stand up better than that! I knew that they can't be used with the Food Chopper (although, the Use & Care doesn't say that....it just says 'Light cutting tasks'). What's the point? Who does "light cutting" with chicken?? You'll have a KNIFE.I'd definitely put in for a replacement.

Sorry, you are out of luck. There is a symbol in the bottom right corner of the mat that tells you not to use knives on it. It's a pastry mat not a cutting board.This is what is specifically says in the Product Information Guide
If cutting is necessary, use a plastic knife or butter knife. Press lightly so as to not cut through the mat. Not for use with sharp knives or other sharp objects.

What the heck? wadesgirl, are you talking about the Pastry Mat? The picture of the Flexible Cutting Mats actually shows what I think is the 5" Santoku Knife! How can you advertise a flexible "cutting" mat that does not hold up to a the very knife they show it with? I would definitely let HO know.

pampered1224 said:
What the heck? wadesgirl, are you talking about the Pastry Mat? The picture of the Flexible Cutting Mats actually shows what I think is the 5" Santoku Knife! How can you advertise a flexible "cutting" mat that does not hold up to a the very knife they show it with? I would definitely let HO know.

Oops! Been a long day and just worked out, a little light headed!

Yes they have marks all over them , and look terrible only used the 1 time

You know what though, it does say not to cut on side with the soft-grip. the description though is rather confusing. It says for light cutting jobs, and only references vegitables. It says to use it for seasoning chicken and meat not actually for cutting them. "Perfect for light prep tasks, like cutting vegetables or seasoning meats and poultry. Three colors help you quickly switch mats when working with meats and veggies to avoid cross-contamination. Silicone backing grips countertops. The material is thin and flexible so you can funnel ingredients right into recipes." Then the use & care says " * Wash prior to first use; dishwasher-safe when placed away from heating element. For best results, dishwash flat.
* Mat is intended for light prep tasks only. Mat will show cut marks. This is typical with material and is considered normal wear and tear.
* Avoid contact with heating elements, hot pans, or other hot surfaces. Not intended for use as a hot pad or trivet.
* Before placing mat on countertop, ensure countertop is clean and free of all residues for best stability.
* Do not use abrasive cleaners, such as steel wool, souring pads or cleaners with chlorine bleach as this may scratch surface.
* Store flat to prevent mat from bending or rolling out of shape.
* Do not cut on side with soft-grip.
* 1-year guarantee for noncommercial use. Refer to sales receipt for details.". So do you or don't you cut anything but veggies or fruit? And if so, like Lifeat50 said, it should not have cut that easily. But then if it does that with veggies, how could you possibly use them for meat which is harder to get through sometimes? do we have a problem product here? I do have a set I got as a freebie when I ordered something on line. I will dig those out to see if they do the same thing. I bet they do get all marked up though.

LOL....that just cracks me up. a "cutting mat" that really isn't meant for much cutting.ppppsssshhhh.....why bother? I guess the good thing is you have 3, so it's like $5 a piece, so if one goes "yuck" on you, you've got two more.

This is interesting, I've used my cutting mats all month at my shows and they still are ok, yes, they have cut marks on them, but nothing big, and I have not had the unfortunate mishap of slicing through one, and I use my 5" Santoku at all my shows. Granted, I have NOT cut meat on them yet, but all my veggies and EVEN the chopper has been on it and no problems yet. I'd call HO.

chefsteph07 said:
This is interesting, I've used my cutting mats all month at my shows and they still are ok, yes, they have cut marks on them, but nothing big, and I have not had the unfortunate mishap of slicing through one, and I use my 5" Santoku at all my shows. Granted, I have NOT cut meat on them yet, but all my veggies and EVEN the chopper has been on it and no problems yet. I'd call HO.

me too - been using the food chopper and the knives on them since I got them back in August....I LOVE these mats!

wadesgirl said:
Sorry, you are out of luck. There is a symbol in the bottom right corner of the mat that tells you not to use knives on it. It's a pastry mat not a cutting board.

This is what is specifically says in the Product Information Guide
If cutting is necessary, use a plastic knife or butter knife. Press lightly so as to not cut through the mat. Not for use with sharp knives or other sharp objects.

:eek::eek::eek: Seriously? I haven't used mine, but why call them cutting mats at all?:yuck:

I'm going to reference them as prep mats then. For a holding/transfer zone for your meats....

Mine have cut marks too but I purposely used a chopper on one to test it.

I had these way before we came out with them and those old ones stood up to anything and never had a single cut mark. I don't understand why ours can't be as good as that. They were cheap too.

I have other flexible mats that withstood anything - and were completely dishwasher safe. But, then I discovered our cutting boards (regular cutting boards) and never went back to my old flexible ones.

So, I picked up a set of our new flexible "cutting" mats and I was surprised at all the limitations on the use & care. I was disappointed on the dishwasher - keep away from heating element. That means top shelf, right? How the heck are these going on the top rack. I have a bunch of each size of our regular cutting boards - I use one and it goes right in the dishwasher. So, I am NOT looking forward to using these new mats and handwashing them.

Also, what is the benefit of the flexible mats over our current cutting boards?? Anything I can do on the mats, I can do on our cutting boards - and stick it in the dishwasher.

The new "cutting" mats are very pretty - I just don't see myself using them that often.

I don't bring these with me. Would rather sell the large grooved cutting board - $30 which I use at every show. If they want the $15 ones, they'll have to find them on their own. Not a fan.

Thanks for the info... I will direct my customers away from them and have them just get a regular cutting board with a handy scrapper. What's the point if they aren't really for normal cutting? We already sell a pastry mat.

I won't sell them for this reason. People don't use a mat to season chicken, they want to cut on it. I don't bring them, and if asked I tell people light tasks only. Then I sell them the cutting board.

The cutting mats are much lighter to take to shows... that was one benefit that sold me on them.
I also keep one cutting mat on our counter all the time now - it's so handy to have available. You definitely can see cutting marks on it already, and the ones I took to a show (and ended up using the food chopper on) have marks as well. I'll have to see what they look like after a year of regular use.
At my last show the hosts asked me what made ours better than the ones you can get for a dollar at the dollar store... Any ideas? Ours have the non-skid grip on the back, plus the measurement markings. Otherwise, I don't know for sure how to answer that yet.

I have not tried them yet, but I do know at NC a test kitchen staff member told me specifically not to use the food chopper on them. But I thought a knife would be ok. :(

Hey! I just discovered a great use for the mats! I just baked one of those giant cookies on my large round stone. I was scratching my head as to what to use to lift it up and take it off the stone to put it on the round platter. I first did as the recipe said and ran my serrated bread knife underneath the cookie first. Then I let it cool a bit. Then I used 2 mats and just slid them underneath the cookie, lifted it off the stone and successfully got it in one piece down onto the platter! :)

Ha ha! Maybe they should market it that way .... or just bring back the lifters we had!

I have not used these but have brought them to one party. No one has asked about them either so I think they will come back out of my kit! Thank you for sharing all of your experiences and expertise!!

I just sold a set today! lol I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing now. :rolleyes: I was honest with everyone and told them the benefits and what you can and can't or shouldn't do. One person still bought them! Hope they hold up okay for her! She's going to be booking a show soon, so I want to keep her happy. ;)

I'm being very specific that these are for light prep work. I'm getting a lot of response from people who camp, since they're so easy to store.

I've been doing the Chicken Your Way show, and I pound the chicken with the meat tenderizer to flatten it. I've been putting it in between two of the flexible mats to do this. Then I leave the chicken on the mat to season with the rubs and transport to the Grill Pan. Very easy, and you can wash and re-use the mats. (unlike parchment or plastic wrap, which you'd have to discard.)

ChefBeckyD said:
I've been doing the Chicken Your Way show, and I pound the chicken with the meat tenderizer to flatten it. I've been putting it in between two of the flexible mats to do this. Then I leave the chicken on the mat to season with the rubs and transport to the Grill Pan. Very easy, and you can wash and re-use the mats. (unlike parchment or plastic wrap, which you'd have to discard.)

great idea! I always put mine in a zip bag and usually wind up with a blow out.

I've sold them, but haven't used them. I think if I use them, they'll get nasty looking and then people will be turned off by them. I love having them in my kit though. I once forgot my cutting board and the host only had a glass cutting board, which I wouldn't go anywhere near with my Sanoku knife! I had my husband drive to the show to bring my board. He wasn't very happy with me, but it was only 10 minutes away, fortunately.

you know, I was super excited when these came out and even had planned to order them on the sample package, but after reading this I'm definately sticking to my cuttint board.
AND...just an fyi, I found almost identical ones (just weren't colored) at the 99 cent store (2 in a package)...go figure.

I use them more for prep mats than cutting mats. I like using them for placing my chicken when seasoning and prepping. Then I remove it and still have a clean cutting board surface. Plus, you can do the light veggie prep on them and easily transfer into pot. Ours are better than the dollar store ones because of the silicone backing. Also great for the kiddos messy work spaces when they're helping in the kitchen. Each gets their own color and they LOVE seeing the chef's hat at their workspace.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I use them more for prep mats than cutting mats. I like using them for placing my chicken when seasoning and prepping. Then I remove it and still have a clean cutting board surface. Plus, you can do the light veggie prep on them and easily transfer into pot. Ours are better than the dollar store ones because of the silicone backing. Also great for the kiddos messy work spaces when they're helping in the kitchen. Each gets their own color and they LOVE seeing the chef's hat at their workspace.

I LOVE this tip! Thanks!

pamperedlinda said:
great idea! I always put mine in a zip bag and usually wind up with a blow out.
OMG So sorry Linda, I read this and I laughed out loud. (I'm so tired...)

I had the same reaction Anne!

1. Can Pampered Chef's flexible cutting mats be cut through?

Yes, our flexible cutting mats are designed to be cut through using our Pampered Chef knives. However, if you find that your mat is being cut too easily, it may be time to replace it.

2. What knives are recommended for use with Pampered Chef's flexible cutting mats?

Our flexible cutting mats are best used with our Pampered Chef knives, such as our 5" utility forged cutlery. These knives are designed to easily slice through our mats without causing damage to either the mat or the knife.

3. Is it common for the flexible cutting mats to be cut through?

While it is possible for our flexible cutting mats to be cut through, it is not a common occurrence. If you are finding that your mat is frequently being cut, it may be time to replace it or check the sharpness of your knives.

4. How can I prevent my flexible cutting mat from being cut through?

To prevent your flexible cutting mat from being cut through, make sure to use our Pampered Chef knives and avoid using any other type of knife on the mat. It is also important to regularly check the sharpness of your knives and replace them as needed to avoid putting too much pressure on the mat.

5. What should I do if my flexible cutting mat has been cut through?

If your flexible cutting mat has been cut through, it is likely time to replace it. We recommend using our Pampered Chef knives and regularly checking the sharpness of the knives to prevent this from happening in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Adrienne
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
ktraceyk
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • laylaleigh