• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

SL to SB: Opinions from Those Who've Switched

In summary, the new SBRC is a disappointment for those that went to the show. Some of the recipes are very similar to those from previous years and there is not a lot of variety. However, the taste testing meeting on Monday night was successful and many of the recipes were enjoyed.
Amyskitchen2
For those that went to SL can you please tell me, will I love the new SB? I could not attend and cannot wait to get that darn changeover box to get my SB!

Well, I don't know you from Adam's housecat, nor do I know what your recipe preferences are. But, I'll say YES.Please do not hold it against me if you don't love it.

leftymac said:
Well, I don't know you from Adam's housecat, nor do I know what your recipe preferences are. But, I'll say YES.

Please do not hold it against me if you don't love it.

ROFL....you are too funny Keith.

esavvymom said:
ROFL....you are too funny Keith.

That is a tried and true southern expression!

So is, "She looks like 10 pounds of sugar in a five pound sac" said about someone whose clothes are too tight. ;)

leftymac said:
Well, I don't know you from Adam's housecat,

LOL! I literally laughed out loud! Thanks, I usually like everything in them but sometimes there are a lot of duplicate recipes from previous years.

leftymac said:
That is a tried and true southern expression!

So is, "She looks like 10 pounds of sugar in a five pound sac" said about someone whose clothes are too tight. ;)

LOL....that's a new one! I like that.

esavvymom said:
LOL....that's a new one! I like that.

I taught that to my students when we were studying clothes.

Studying clothes? I wish could have done that in school! I could use a decent education in wardrobe!

I think I would have enjoyed classes more, if I had more teachers who made us laugh and let us enjoy things!!

I do not love the new SB. I think the recipes are all very similar. Not a lot of variety, IMO.

I have to agree with Becky, I am not impressed with it. There are some duplicates, like there always is. There are like 2 or 3 recipes that I may try.

Do they have common "normal" ingredients or expensive "weird" ingredients...hope not to much with pineapple of shellfish, as I'm allergic to both and there have been a couple of years where almost entire book I couldn't do or ones that didn't have those as ingredients just weren't good at shows.

I can't wait to see some recipes and hear some reviews!

ChefBeckyD said:
I do not love the new SB. I think the recipes are all very similar. Not a lot of variety, IMO.

bummer. I always look forward to the SBRC. Probably one of the first new things I stop and look at. oh well, it's only a dollar.

I can't say this will be one of my favorite SBRCs. The recipes just aren't necessarily things that The Furry Guy and I eat. It's like that some seasons.

raebates said:
I can't say this will be one of my favorite SBRCs. The recipes just aren't necessarily things that The Furry Guy and I eat. It's like that some seasons.

I have to agree with you Rae - when I first read the new recipes I wasn't sure. However, we had our taste testing meeting on Monday night and they were all delicious! Some of them I may not have tried myself - but after tasting them - I'll willing to give it a go!

I have to agree with everyone else and say that my team and I are very disappointed in the SBRC. They just have no wow factor!

I hope I like the new recipes...and we say "I don't know you from Adam"...never heard the cat part...hehehe

I am kinda bummed now. I think the SB is the one thing I look forward to most in the changeover box. Well, I hope I like some of athe recipes.

Sometimes the list of ingredients sound sort of funny, but I am anxious to try many of the recipes anyway.

....and did Adam have a cat?

We are having our Cluster Taste-Testing tonight - so I'll be able to answer better after that. Although, I couldn't find anything in the SB that I wanted to make (any I wanted to make had already been taken) so I'm making one that's in the new catalog.

Amyskitchen2 said:
I am kinda bummed now. I think the SB is the one thing I look forward to most in the changeover box. Well, I hope I like some of athe recipes.

I'd wait to form your opinion. What some else isn't happy with might be just your cup of tea. ...and we're talking about a $1 cookbook here.

I made the cover recipe for dinner on Sunday, and dessert was the recipe that's on the last page of the book.

Both got RAVE reviews in my house!!! Although I have to say, I don't think the cover recipe is a show recipe AT ALL. It took a while to make! But wow, was it good. AND...low calorie, low fat, high protein!!

mountainmama74 said:
I made the cover recipe for dinner on Sunday, and dessert was the recipe that's on the last page of the book.

Both got RAVE reviews in my house!!! Although I have to say, I don't think the cover recipe is a show recipe AT ALL. It took a while to make! But wow, was it good. AND...low calorie, low fat, high protein!!

Well now you have me very curious to see the cover recipe. At least you didn't mention any specific ingredients that would have caused me to salivate.

Tick, tick, tick goes the clock til my launch on Sat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, not impressed, and I always like to do a "new" demo recipe to add to my shows and I may struggle for find one in this.

Okay, we had our taste testing tonight. For those who've been to Launch, everyone agreed we liked page 6, page 10, and page 22. a fellow consultant did the recipe on page 5 of the catalog, and I did the recipe on page 38 of the catalog. Everyone liked both of those too. My personal favorite was page 10. I could have eaten the whole recipe myself!

i am looking forward to seeing the new SB but like some of you have had trouble with the ingredients in the past. Unfortunately I am allergic to latex and because of this I have a cross sensitivity to mangos, bananas and kiwi wish someway for a substitute list for those allergic. Just a thought for many other venues including PC. Does anyone else have trouble finding the smaller oz pkg of cake mixes used in the past. I have occasionally found Jiffy mix any other thoughts

This may sound funny but I too am not wowed but, after reading the recipes, there are some I think I would like to try. I think what turned me off, the black and white pictures! Without some color, it is blah and I think my mind went to blah recipes too. A good example of this is page 13, "This colorful and healthy salad will steal the spotlight from overplayed restaurant salads." I mean what colorful? Its a gray blob for crying out loud! GROSS!

reneeward said:
i am looking forward to seeing the new SB but like some of you have had trouble with the ingredients in the past. Unfortunately I am allergic to latex and because of this I have a cross sensitivity to mangos, bananas and kiwi wish someway for a substitute list for those allergic. Just a thought for many other venues including PC. Does anyone else have trouble finding the smaller oz pkg of cake mixes used in the past. I have occasionally found Jiffy mix any other thoughts

Usually there is a note at the bottom of the recipes telling you how much you can use from a full box. At least in past recipes that called for 9oz boxes, there was a measurement amount.

I just want to remind those who are getting disappointed before they even see the new SBRC that we all have different taste. [Note: the following examples have absolutely nothing to do with the recipes in the new SBRC, so they aren't spoilers.] I don't care all that much for most Indian food, so recipes with an Indian flair wouldn't appeal to me. You might LOVE Indian food, so you would really look forward to those. I'm not a big fish eater, so recipes that focused on tuna, salmon, or mahi mahi wouldn't do a thing for me. However, The Furry Guy would be thrilled. Don't let our impressions ruin your anticipation.

I liked the main dishes in it, cannot wait to try them! But the appetizers and the desserts don't really do that much for me.

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay, we had our taste testing tonight. For those who've been to Launch, everyone agreed we liked page 6, page 10, and page 22. a fellow consultant did the recipe on page 5 of the catalog, and I did the recipe on page 38 of the catalog. Everyone liked both of those too. My personal favorite was page 10. I could have eaten the whole recipe myself!

Now you have me intrigued! Mine is at home so I'll have to wait to see what you are talking about!

chefsteph07 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one, not impressed, and I always like to do a "new" demo recipe to add to my shows and I may struggle for find one in this.

Me too. Looking forward to my March team mtg. when we'll sample them all together. Hope to change my opinion.

ChefBeckyD said:

LOL my book is at home, so I can't wait to see which recipes you're talking about!

reneeward said:

I have found Duncan Hines (I think) mixes that make 12 cupcakes at Dollar Tree and Walmart.

Yes, it is hard for me to find the small boxes of cake mix. I always have to use 1/2 a large box.

In fact, I have trouble finding quite a few of the ingredients that come with some of the new recipes each season. Probably just my stores stink around here.

I can't find Red Thai curry paste (Lime Chili Meatballs), but I have a jar in the fridge, so I probably got it last time I was near a Wegmans. Couldn't find the Teriyaki glaze either - and I went to 4 differnt stores when that recipe first came out! Though, I did just notice it at my Giant last week.

The only place I can find almond bark or the Jiffy mixes is Walmart. And lately I haven't even seen a good variety of the Jiffy mixes.

Never did find some chocolate wafer cookie things for some holiday recipe.

I could go on and on.

It's just the area I live in. When I go to the Wegmans - I try to stock up on the odd items!

So, I do have to keep the ingredients in mind when offering the recipes to hosts. I certainly don't want them driving from store to store looking for items.

It's funny. Often when new recipes come out there are several things I can't find but within a month or so the stores sudenly have them in stock. Must be lots of consultants requesting those things around here...

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Do they have common "normal" ingredients or expensive "weird" ingredients...hope not to much with pineapple of shellfish, as I'm allergic to both and there have been a couple of years where almost entire book I couldn't do or ones that didn't have those as ingredients just weren't good at shows.
This is the very reason that I'm not crazy about it. Maybe I've just been in the South too long, but I'd love to see some recipes that calls for ingredients that I would normally have in my pantry; not things that I've never heard of and can't get in a town the size of ours. That's just my $.02 worth. ;)I need to add that the desserts look interesting. I especially like the ones on pg. 24, 27 & 28 but I'm pretty sure that pg. 26 is a repeat.

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:

I'm not excited about it either. Very disappointed that some of the same recipes keep appearing in it.

ChefBeckyD said:

Glad I finally have my SB to see what you're talking about!

I'm going to try pg. 22 Mexican Chicken Napoleons for dinner tomorrow. Not sure they'd be a good show recipe.

Did the potatoes in the Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Crisps get crunchy all the way through or just on the edges? Will cheddar be a substitute for people who don't like blue (bleu - that's for Keith if he ever reads this thread) cheese?

Becca_in_MD said:

I'm going to try pg. 22 Mexican Chicken Napoleons for dinner tomorrow. Not sure they'd be a good show recipe.

Did the potatoes in the Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Crisps get crunchy all the way through or just on the edges? Will cheddar be a substitute for people who don't like blue (bleu - that's for Keith if he ever reads this thread) cheese?

Thanks for the French! That's how I spell it. Guess I'm pretentious.

I would think Cheddar would work, but it might get greasy. Worth a try, though! My guess is the potatoes will be crispy on the edges, but softer in the middle -- kind of like a gratin.

I complained about the repeats too, and my Director reminded me that most people don't collect the SBRCs, so they're not repeats to them. That response satisfied me.

Becca_in_MD said:

They were crunchy around the edges and soft in the middle. The consultant on my team who made these said it was almost impossible to do them in the MMP like the instructions stated - she ended up using the regular muffin pan, and then we decided it would be even better to do them on a sheet paand then they'd probably get a bit crunchier too.

We talked too about using a different cheese - possibly a goat cheese or a feta cheese would work well... I don't know, because I LOVED them with the bleu cheese. Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!

ChefBeckyD said:
They were crunchy around the edges and soft in the middle. The consultant on my team who made these said it was almost impossible to do them in the MMP like the instructions stated - she ended up using the regular muffin pan, and then we decided it would be even better to do them on a sheet paand then they'd probably get a bit crunchier too.

We talked too about using a different cheese - possibly a goat cheese or a feta cheese would work well... I don't know, because I LOVED them with the bleu cheese. Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!

I was thinking about them fitting in the MMP while watching the demo. I think you need to get the teeny tiny baby red potatoes that are sold in a plastic carton -- you know, the ones that are like $4 for the carton! The bulk ones just don't seem to be small enough.

leftymac said:
I was thinking about them fitting in the MMP while watching the demo. I think you need to get the teeny tiny baby red potatoes that are sold in a plastic carton -- you know, the ones that are like $4 for the carton! The bulk ones just don't seem to be small enough.

That's it exactly! Plus, at many of the smaller stores, you can't find them at all.

Not a fan of this season's Best. I'm more into normal recipes. These are what I've tried so far:Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Crisps - really yummy, but I agree on not quite fitting the MMP and I (as my hosts would pry do) just bought red potatoes (not in a plastic carton). I am not sold on it being a show recipe because it was alot of repeated levels...I made the Quick Chicken Pad Thai tonight - won't make it again. Although my other half enjoyed it. Tomorrow I"ll be trying the Thai Crab Ragoon Bites...

Malinda Klein said:
Not a fan of this season's Best. I'm more into normal recipes. These are what I've tried so far:

Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Crisps - really yummy, but I agree on not quite fitting the MMP and I (as my hosts would pry do) just bought red potatoes (not in a plastic carton). I am not sold on it being a show recipe because it was alot of repeated levels...

That is a very good point about show recipes. That's why I end up focusing on a main dish or salad recipe. Having to do 12 layers of something just won't work for my style of show.

I was underwhelmed with the SB. It had a bit of an Asian flair, which is just not my fave kind of food and too many recipes had weird or overly expensive ingrediants.

I tried some of the recipes last night. I am in love with the BC&BP Crisps but not crazy about the others I tried. Will try the rest this week but really not thrilled with the SB.

Looking over the cookbooks last night I like the SB the best of the 3 but found recipes I definitely want to try in all of them. I thought that there were much fewer repeat recipes in the SB than in some previous seasons.

That's the thing... no one will love it all everyone will love something. That's what keeps the world interesting and why we have so many varying products - we all like different things.

The SBRC has different recipes and maybe we don't have all the ingredients in our pantry, yet it is fun to step out of the box and try new things -even if I have to search a bit for them. Also, we are looking at this as recipes for us to cook at our shows while customers are looking at it as recipes to prepare for their families. Think that if they find a few that they like, they will purchase it. Heck, it's only a $1. Now I'm off to the supermarket to find some of those ingredients!

<h2>1. What is the difference between SL and SB?</h2><p>The main difference between SL (Stone Line) and SB (Stoneware Baking) is the material they are made from. SL is made from a combination of natural clay and stoneware, while SB is made from just stoneware. This difference in material leads to differences in cooking performance and maintenance.</p><h2>2. How do the cooking results compare between SL and SB?</h2><p>Many customers who have switched from SL to SB have reported that they have noticed a significant improvement in the cooking results. SB distributes heat more evenly, producing perfectly cooked food every time. The stoneware material also retains heat, keeping food warm for longer periods of time.</p><h2>3. Is SB easier to clean and maintain?</h2><p>Yes, SB is much easier to clean and maintain compared to SL. The stoneware material is naturally non-stick, so food residue easily wipes off with a damp cloth. It is also dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze. Additionally, SB does not need to be seasoned like SL, saving time and effort in the kitchen.</p><h2>4. Will I still be able to use my SL recipes with SB?</h2><p>Yes, you can still use your SL recipes with SB. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly as SB cooks food faster due to its superior heat retention. We recommend keeping an eye on your food while cooking and adjusting the time as needed.</p><h2>5. What can I expect from the changeover box and how long will it take to arrive?</h2><p>The changeover box will contain all the necessary items to make the switch from SL to SB, including a new SB piece and instructions. The box should arrive within 2-3 weeks after you request it. In the meantime, you can continue using your SL pieces until your new SB arrives.</p>

1. What is the difference between SL and SB?

The main difference between SL (Stone Line) and SB (Stoneware Baking) is the material they are made from. SL is made from a combination of natural clay and stoneware, while SB is made from just stoneware. This difference in material leads to differences in cooking performance and maintenance.

2. How do the cooking results compare between SL and SB?

Many customers who have switched from SL to SB have reported that they have noticed a significant improvement in the cooking results. SB distributes heat more evenly, producing perfectly cooked food every time. The stoneware material also retains heat, keeping food warm for longer periods of time.

3. Is SB easier to clean and maintain?

Yes, SB is much easier to clean and maintain compared to SL. The stoneware material is naturally non-stick, so food residue easily wipes off with a damp cloth. It is also dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze. Additionally, SB does not need to be seasoned like SL, saving time and effort in the kitchen.

4. Will I still be able to use my SL recipes with SB?

Yes, you can still use your SL recipes with SB. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly as SB cooks food faster due to its superior heat retention. We recommend keeping an eye on your food while cooking and adjusting the time as needed.

5. What can I expect from the changeover box and how long will it take to arrive?

The changeover box will contain all the necessary items to make the switch from SL to SB, including a new SB piece and instructions. The box should arrive within 2-3 weeks after you request it. In the meantime, you can continue using your SL pieces until your new SB arrives.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Amyskitchen2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • kam
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kam
Replies