• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How does a skimmer remove fat from hot soups and stocks? Am I missing something?

In summary, skimmers are best used for removing solid particles or foam from cooled liquids, and are not effective for removing liquid fat from hot soups or gravies. It may be helpful to offer your customer alternative tools, such as a fat separator or slotted spoon, for this purpose.
cheflorraine
Gold Member
Another product question... I had a customer who bought the skimmer specifically to skim fat off of gravy and soups (which is what the product description says: removes excess fat from hot soups and stocks).
But she says that it simply doesn't work for that purpose, as when the fat is hot, it's a liquid and simply goes through the mesh. I can see that it would work if you let the stock cool, and the fat harden - then the skimmer should work well to get rid of the solids and fat that you don't want.
Am I (and my customer) simply not understanding some basic principle of how this should work?
Any suggestions? I told her that if it wasn't doing what she wanted it to, she could gladly have it replaced with another product, but maybe there's some vital information I'm missing?

I know that the recipe that comes with the Skimmer calls for skimming the "fat and foam" from simmering chicken soup. My guess is this is the type of skimming they're talking about. It won't mop up just the fat like our old fat mop. If you're doing something more like chili, you'd need to cool the soup and skim the fat as it congeals.

It sounds like you and your customer may be misunderstanding the purpose of the skimmer. Skimmers are typically used to remove solid particles or foam from liquids, such as when making stocks or soups. This is why it works best when the liquid has cooled and the fat has solidified. It is not designed to remove liquid fat from hot soups or gravies. If your customer is looking to remove liquid fat from hot liquids, she may want to consider using a fat separator or a slotted spoon instead. These tools are specifically designed for that purpose. If your customer is still not satisfied with the skimmer, you can offer to replace it with a different product that better suits her needs. It's always important to make sure your customers are happy with their purchases.

1. What is a skimmer and how does it work?

A skimmer is a kitchen tool used to remove excess fat from soups, stews, and other dishes. It is a long, shallow spoon with holes or slots that allows the liquid to pass through while trapping solid pieces of food and fat. To use it, simply skim the surface of the dish and discard the collected fat.

2. Can a skimmer be used for other tasks besides removing fat?

Yes, a skimmer can also be used for removing foam or scum from broths and sauces, straining small pieces of food from cooking liquids, and even retrieving fried foods from hot oil.

3. What is the best material for a skimmer?

The best material for a skimmer is stainless steel. It is durable, easy to clean, and does not react with acidic or hot foods. Plastic skimmers are also available, but may not be as sturdy and can melt if exposed to high heat.

4. How do I clean and maintain my skimmer?

To clean your skimmer, simply wash it with hot soapy water and dry it thoroughly. If there are food particles stuck in the holes, use a small brush or toothpick to remove them. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive sponges, as they can damage the surface of the skimmer. Store it in a dry place to prevent rusting.

5. Are there different sizes and shapes of skimmers available?

Yes, skimmers come in various sizes and shapes to suit different cooking needs. There are round and flat skimmers, as well as large and small sizes. Some skimmers also have longer handles for reaching into deep pots or skimming from a safe distance. Choose one that best fits your cooking style and needs.

Back