• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Skillet Cake: Tips for Perfect Cakes Every Time

In summary, the host's problem was that she used regular cake mix instead of devil's food cake mix and when she made it the center of the cake stuck to the pan. The key is to not let it sit in the pan for longer than the recipe says.
pamperedmomto3
I really want to offer skillet cake as a recipe choice this fall, however, I've had issues with making the cakes. I've made 3 cakes and each time, the center of the cake sticks to the pan. Any suggestions?

melt a little butter in there first.Are we talking about the Exec or Stainless skillet?

I saw it demoed at a party prior to becoming a consultant and the consultant had the same problem. It turned out the host purchased regular choco cake mix instead of Devil's Food cake mix. She said that causes it to stick. When I made it I used Devil's Food and it turned out fine.

I do the butter and the devil's food and still having issues in the Executive 12".

Does it stick alot or a little? I have done this recipe many times, i always butter and use devils food cake...but never thought it was worth mentioning...but I did this recipe Sat and the middle thin layer is still on the skillet?? I guess I never really thought of it as sticking..the cake otherwise comes right out and the guests are usually amazed at that...the little bit on the skillet is never questioned...hmm...interesting...i wonder why it does that??

Do u let it sit in the pan very long? I did this once at home perfectly but when I got to my show it stuck. But I let it sit in the pan for about 20 minutes before I dumped it out b/c the show was late starting. The key is to not let it sit any longer than the recipe says!

It is not actually sticking when u cook it, it is sweating from sitting there too long and then sticks to it. Does that make sense?

I always have a slight sticking problem in the center of the skillet. I run a scraper around the edge...to show how it isn't sticking...and then a little ways toward the middle. You don't lose any cake...at least I don't...it is more like a thin skin.

Jennifer is right. If you let it cool too long in the skillet it will stick.

I've been doing skillet cakes since I started (even used a Gen II pan at first!)- and the only time a cake has ever stuck has been when I've left it in the skillet for too long.

1. How do I prevent my skillet cake from sticking to the pan?

To prevent your skillet cake from sticking to the pan, make sure to properly grease the skillet with butter or cooking spray before adding the batter. You can also use parchment paper on the bottom of the skillet for extra insurance against sticking.

2. How can I ensure my skillet cake is cooked evenly?

To ensure even cooking, make sure your skillet is properly preheated before adding the batter. Use a medium heat setting and let the skillet heat up for a few minutes before adding the batter. Also, try to distribute the batter evenly in the skillet and avoid overcrowding.

3. How do I know when my skillet cake is done?

The best way to tell if your skillet cake is done is by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. You can also gently press on the top of the cake - if it springs back, it is done. Be careful not to overbake the cake, as it can become dry.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when making a skillet cake?

One common mistake is using too high of heat, which can cause the cake to burn on the bottom. Make sure to use a medium heat setting and keep an eye on the cake while it is cooking. Another mistake is not properly greasing the skillet, which can result in the cake sticking to the pan. Lastly, avoid overmixing the batter, as this can make the cake tough.

5. Can I use any type of skillet to make a skillet cake?

Yes, you can use any type of skillet to make a skillet cake. However, it is recommended to use a cast iron skillet for best results, as it conducts heat evenly and can withstand high heat. Non-stick skillets can also be used, but be sure to use plastic or wooden utensils to avoid scratching the non-stick coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefJoyJ
  • ChefJoyJ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
bknowles67
  • pamperedmomto3
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies