• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Use a Simple Slicer or Mandoline for My Tomato Flatbread?

In summary, the Simple Slicer and Mandoline are both kitchen tools used for slicing fruits and vegetables, with the main difference being in their design. The Simple Slicer has a single blade and is easier to use and clean, while the Mandoline has multiple blades and offers more versatility. The Mandoline is generally preferred for professional use and both tools come with safety features.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm doing the Chicken, Pesto & Tomato Flatbread recipe for a show tonight. I've made this tons of time at home so I'll be fine, but I just wanted an opinion on whether I should take the UM or not. I like the UM and like the V-blade for tomatoes. I have used the SS just a couple times, but I haven't used it for tomatoes. Do you think I should bring both so people can compare, or is that overkill and I should just pick one or the other. Maybe I should just bring the SS since it's new and most people have seen the UM before (and can check it out in the catalog.) What do you think?

(and I have made this recipe before with just using a tomato knife, but then the tomato slices are too thick and I don't get enough needed for the recipe.) ;)

i haven't had a lot of luck slicing tomatoes with either....maybe a really firm one would work....don't press down too hard tho....i would experiment first....

I'd use the mandoline. I don't like the s.s. I don't feel it is safe. Plus, the u.m. is so much more versatile. I'd bring the s.s. and if anyone wants to see it/try it they can.

I don't like the SS for tomatoes. The UM slices FIRM tomatoes beautifully. Soft ones turn to mushy goo.

I've had no luck w/the SS on tomatoes. They always seem to mush.

Well, I ended up bringing both and used both of them on the tomatoes. The tomatoes were the Roma/Plum kind and were a little soft. They were fine until the end piece and then it just smushed. But both worked fine for it other than that.

What is the difference between the Simple Slicer and Mandoline?

The Simple Slicer and Mandoline are both kitchen tools used for slicing fruits and vegetables. However, the main difference between the two is in their design. The Simple Slicer has a single blade and requires manual slicing, while the Mandoline has multiple blades and uses a sliding mechanism for slicing.

Which one is easier to use and clean?

The Simple Slicer is generally considered easier to use and clean because it has fewer parts and does not require any complicated setup. It can also be easily disassembled and cleaned in the dishwasher. However, with proper care and practice, the Mandoline can also be easy to use and clean.

Can both the Simple Slicer and Mandoline create different types of cuts?

Yes, both the Simple Slicer and Mandoline have adjustable blades that allow you to create different types of cuts such as julienne, waffle, and crinkle cuts. However, the Mandoline offers more versatility with its multiple blades and thickness settings.

Which one is more suitable for professional use?

The Mandoline is generally preferred for professional use due to its precision and ability to create a variety of cuts. It is also often made with higher quality materials and has a sturdier design, making it more durable for frequent use.

Do both the Simple Slicer and Mandoline come with safety features?

Yes, both the Simple Slicer and Mandoline come with safety features to prevent accidents while slicing. The Simple Slicer has a hand guard that keeps fingers away from the blade, while the Mandoline has a safety holder to secure the food and protect your hands from the blades.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tinat51796
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD