• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Simple Slicer vs. Mandoline

babywings76

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2008
I'm doing the Chicken, Pesto & Tomato Flatbread recipe for a show tonight. I've made this tons of time at home so I'll be fine, but I just wanted an opinion on whether I should take the UM or not. I like the UM and like the V-blade for tomatoes. I have used the SS just a couple times, but I haven't used it for tomatoes. Do you think I should bring both so people can compare, or is that overkill and I should just pick one or the other. Maybe I should just bring the SS since it's new and most people have seen the UM before (and can check it out in the catalog.) What do you think?

(and I have made this recipe before with just using a tomato knife, but then the tomato slices are too thick and I don't get enough needed for the recipe.) ;)

carlajanes

Gold Member
Feb 11, 2011
i haven't had a lot of luck slicing tomatoes with either....maybe a really firm one would work....don't press down too hard tho....i would experiment first....

pchockeymom

Veteran Member
Jan 1, 2011
I'd use the mandoline. I don't like the s.s. I don't feel it is safe. Plus, the u.m. is so much more versatile. I'd bring the s.s. and if anyone wants to see it/try it they can.

babywings76

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2008
Well, I ended up bringing both and used both of them on the tomatoes. The tomatoes were the Roma/Plum kind and were a little soft. They were fine until the end piece and then it just smushed. But both worked fine for it other than that.