• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Silicone Products Getting Tacky

In summary, I have noticed that when my silicone cupcake molds and crown cake molds sit out without being used they develop a tackiness to them. I have scrubbed them thoroughly to the point where they lose it and sure enough, a while later it happens again. I know it isn't from the sprays because it is on both sides of the molds. Is there a special way these need to be stored?
KimoMakano
Gold Member
I have noticed that when my silicone cupcake molds and crown cake molds sit out without being used they develop a tackiness to them.

I have scrubbed them thoroughly to the point where they lose it and sure enough, a while later it happens again.

It gets to the point where I am hesitant to even touch them, because then I get this stickiness on my hands that is difficult to wash off.

I know it isn't from the sprays because it is on both sides of the molds.

Is there a special way these need to be stored?

Thanks.

Hmm I haven't experienced that - do you put them in the dishwasher? I do and am not sure if that makes a difference - I haven't used mine in a while - going to have to check now!

Oh! I thought you were going to say something else. The title of the thread threw me for a minute there! lol :D I was wondering what on earth might've happened, or if you had advance knowledge of a new product this fall.

babywings76 said:
Oh! I thought you were going to say something else. The title of the thread threw me for a minute there! lol :D I was wondering what on earth might've happened, or if you had advance knowledge of a new product this fall.

LOL....dirty birdy? :D

I have the same thing happen with mine. The dishwasher seems to help but not get rid of it.

Where do you store them? Are they near your stove and maybe picking up grease residue and dust?

It happens to mine too, i store them in a cupboard nowhere near any oils or heat.

I'd email the test kitchens about it and see if they are aware of it and if they recommend anything.

Are you using spray oils on them?

I had the same stickiness. It was driving me crazy. Here is my trick. I had a Mr. Clean magic eraser and rubbed the top of the discolored stickiness and it all came off. After some time the magic eraser started falling apart, but my floral pan looked brand new. It did not get ruined.

The same thing happened to mine and someone on this site suggested using baking soda. I did exactly that and it worked!:D

Hope this is helpful!

I would think that the baking soda would be a safer bet than the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, I've heard those have some pretty harsh things in them (takes paint off a car!), so I don't know if it would eventually cause damage if you use it a lot... just a thought.

ChefPaulaB said:
I would think that the baking soda would be a safer bet than the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, I've heard those have some pretty harsh things in them (takes paint off a car!), so I don't know if it would eventually cause damage if you use it a lot... just a thought.

And you will be eating out of it too.

The product use and care instructions to clean them with a paste of baking soda and water. I only use the kitchen spritzer (filled with pure oil, no emulsifiers or propellents) on mine, so that icky "Pam" residue is not on there. I also have found (with non-PC silicone), that although it IS dishwasher safe, a microscopic amount of the oil residue does not wash off in the dishwasher, and over time, it can build up and make the silicone "tacky". I also keep my PC silicone stored in its original box, that way it is not open to the air, so stuff can't settle on it.

I have tried the baking soda trick and it worked, for a while.
It seems that they just get that way after setting around for a while. I keep them in a spare room with a lot of other PC items so they are no where near the kitchen.
I emailed the test kitchen and they are researching it.
I will post their response.

I second what Paula said. The magic eraser isn't really magic, it does have "basic" chemicals or properties (as opposed to "acidic" properties, ie..the pH scale) and be harmful to your skin, so it's probably not the thing to use on something you eat off of.
Deb

I saw a picture of a child with 2nd degree burns on his face because he was playing with a magic eraser. After seeing that, I use gloves when handling them, and would not let small children use them. I am assuming Mom was letting the kid wipe off crayon marks or whatever and was not supervising the clean up and he scrubbed himself with it (like all kids tend to do, at least mine did!!) I probably would not have thought a thing about them either, there are no warnings on the box!!

I also would not use them on my PC stuff. I would not have a business without that stuff, so I am really careful with my demo products, especially the expensive silicone products offered by PC (I have the cupcake pan).

I now have the same product with my scrapers. Ick.

Tips: NEVER USE PAM on them. NEVER use straight oil on them. Rubber or Silicone will wear with the use of oils. Silicone and rubber are both oil based products and break down with the use of oils. Pam is a silicone based spray and turns into hard silicone when baked. Use Bakers Secret or Pam with flour as they are 90% flour and attaches to the food rather than to the pan.
If I am not mistaken the use and care card calls for spray with flour.
See #2 below as well as note "*" below #6 below
Use and Care [return to top] * Wash prior to first use; dishwasher, oven and freezer-safe. For best results, rinse prior to placing in dishwasher.
* Pan is ideal for standard package cake mix (18-19.5 oz/ 510 - 520 g). Pan is not recommended for angel food cakes.li> 1. Pre-heat oven to 325°F (170°C). Baking at 350°F (180°C) may cause overbrowning.
2. For best results, spray pan with non-stick cooking spray with flour.
3. Place pan directly on middle oven rack; sheet pan is not needed.
4. Follow bake time for fluted tube pan. Cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean or cake springs back when gently touched.
5. Remove from oven; place on cooling rack. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
6. Place inverted cooling rack on top of pan. Hold pan and rack together, flip over and set down. Slowly lift pan from cake. Allow cake to cool completely before decorating. * To prevent residue build-up from non-stick spray with flour, wipe rim prior to baking.
* Do not use Silicone Pan under broiler or on direct heat source.
* To deep clean, use a paste of baking soda and water.
* Three-year guarantee for noncommercial use. Refer to sales receipt for details.

I have had my cupcake pan since they came out and use it a lot and have used Pam and other things on it and don't have this problem. Maybe it was bad batch of them.

1. Why are my silicone products becoming tacky?

Silicone products can become tacky due to exposure to heat or oils. If they are used in the oven or microwave, the heat can cause the silicone to break down and become sticky. Additionally, oils from cooking or cleaning can also cause the silicone to become tacky.

2. How can I prevent my silicone products from becoming tacky?

To prevent your silicone products from becoming tacky, avoid using them in high heat or exposing them to oils. It is also important to properly clean and dry your silicone products after each use.

3. Can I still use my silicone products if they have become tacky?

If your silicone products have become tacky, it is best to discontinue using them as they may affect the taste and appearance of your food. It is recommended to replace them with new, non-tacky silicone products.

4. How can I restore my silicone products if they have become tacky?

Unfortunately, there is no way to restore silicone products that have become tacky. It is best to replace them with new ones to ensure food safety and quality.

5. Are all silicone products prone to becoming tacky?

No, not all silicone products will become tacky. Higher quality silicone products are less likely to become tacky compared to lower quality ones. It is important to properly care for your silicone products to prolong their lifespan and prevent them from becoming tacky.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mspibb
  • ChefetteDuJour
  • Pampered Chef Flyers
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • RMDave
  • Products and Tips
Replies