• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Silent (Chinese) Auction "Gift"

In summary, Amanda is trying to figure out what to donate for a silent auction to benefit her parents after the accident. She is considering buying products for the auction on her own or donating a basket of products that she has extra on hand. She is considering adding the products for the auction to a show she has closing soon (host says she is fine with it). She wants to write off the cost of the products she buys on her taxes.
pchefinski
I need a "donation" for a silent/chinese auction that's going to be held in the first couple weeks of December to benefit my parents (after the accident).. I need help figuring out what would be best as the "donation". Should I make up a themed basket, or a small collection of our most popular products? Should I do a gift certificate instead or as well? I don't know that I want to do JUST a Gift Certificate, as it isn't as pleasing to the eye--people like tangible things to look at in a silent/chinese auction--but I figured I could give a gift certificate (to be redeemed through me) as well as a gift.. That way, I'd get a sale out of the redemption of it, in case someone just wants the certificate to pick out their own products instead of getting what is in the pre-made basket.

Any ideas? If I donate a basket, I want it to be full of things that everyone can use, so people don't just pass it by thinking "nah, I'll never use that" or "that's the wrong color for my kitchen"--I want to help out my parents as much as possible..

Also, I'm doing this on a budget. I'm contemplating adding the products for the donation on to a show that I have closing in a couple weeks, (host says she's perfectly fine with it). Will I be able to write them off as a biz expense if I do this? Or do I have to order them as a non-commissionable purchase for that?

Thanks everyone--I really appreciate it. I really want to do the most I can to help my parents, as I live out of state and am not able to be there to care for my dad now that he's out of the hospital and back home.

God bless.
~ Amanda

I donate baskets of products for silent auctions a couple times a year and I pretty much include whatever I happen to have extra on hand. Sometimes it's a chopper with a bunch of other stuff, sometimes a couple of stoneware pieces. I think you're right....having something tangible may do better, but then again some people may like the gift certificate option. I think the baskets look cool too. Every time I do one, I always include a certificate for a free kitchen show too. I have yet to have someone take me up on it, but it's always a possibility. Oh and put a couple catalogs in there too with your business cards.

I hope it's a successful event for your parents!!!

You will be able to write off the cost of the products you buy on your taxes. So if the host gets 25% off, you will be able to write off 75% as a charitable donation. Make sure you have a receipt for your records!

I love to do baskets! People love the eye-appeal! I always donate a couple a year to different silent auctions. I would include PC staples...such as the food chopper, bar board, small stone, pantry items, scrapers, whisks...depending on what you can budget!

Good luck!

Marlene, I don't understand this--

"So if the host gets 25% off, you will be able to write off 75% as a charitable donation."

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.. I really appreciate all the help. I'll let you know what I choose and how the dinner/auction goes.

-God bless

Hi Amanda,First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your parents' accident. It's wonderful that you are trying to help them through this difficult time.In terms of your donation for the silent/chinese auction, I think a themed basket would be a great idea. You can showcase some of our most popular products in the basket, but also include a gift certificate for those who may want to choose their own items. This way, you can appeal to a wider range of people and potentially increase the value of your donation.As for your budget, adding the products for the donation onto a closing show is a great idea. You can definitely write them off as a business expense, as long as you have a receipt for the purchase. Just make sure to keep track of the items and their value for tax purposes.I hope this helps and good luck with your donation! Your parents are lucky to have such a caring daughter. Take care.Best,

1. What is a silent auction gift?

A silent auction gift is a popular type of donation for fundraising events where guests can bid on items without the need for a live auctioneer. It allows for a more discreet bidding process and typically involves items or experiences that have been donated by individuals or businesses.

2. How does a silent auction gift work?

During a silent auction, guests are given a designated amount of time to view and bid on items that are on display. They write their bids on a bidding sheet or use a mobile bidding platform, and the highest bidder at the end of the auction wins the item. The bidding process is typically kept anonymous, and winners can pay for their items and collect them at the end of the event.

3. What types of items are typically included in a silent auction gift?

Silent auction gifts can range from physical items like kitchen appliances or home decor to experiences like spa packages or vacation getaways. It ultimately depends on what items have been donated by individuals or businesses for the event. Popular items often include gift baskets, gift cards, and unique experiences.

4. Can I donate a silent auction gift as a business?

Yes, businesses can donate items or experiences to be included in a silent auction. It can be a great way to promote your business and support a good cause at the same time. Be sure to include your company's name and logo on the donated item, so guests know who the generous donor is.

5. How can I participate in a silent auction gift?

If you are attending a fundraising event that includes a silent auction, you can participate by viewing the items on display and placing bids on the ones you are interested in. Some events may also offer the option to bid online if you cannot attend in person. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the event organizers for the bidding process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PCTE2010
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies