• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is there plastic in shredded cheese?

In summary, the ingredient in shredded cheese that is supposed to keep it fresh is cellulose, a natural powder made from cellulose, a naturally occurring component of most plants. It is not harmful, and is used in small amounts to prevent the cheese from sticking together.
pkd09
Silver Member
I thought I read a while ago that there is an ingredient (long term) in a bag of shredded cheese that is actually saw dust or something similar that keeps that cheese fresh longer. Did anyone else read what I am talking about? What is the ingredient?

Yes, I've heard that many times...it is a preservative...Oh Ann? Queen of useless and useful facts - where are you????

Found it - it is cellulose.

From Sargento's site:Q. Ingredients listed on the shredded cheese packages include powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate and potato starch. What are those?
Powdered cellulose is a white, odorless, tasteless, totally natural powder made from cellulose, a naturally occurring component of most plants. It will not absorb moisture because of its fibrous, non-gel structure. When added to shredded cheese, cellulose prevents the cheese from sticking together. Calcium carbonate and potato starch are also natural ingredients. They pass through your body as any food does. They are not harmful.Sargento sprinkles very small amounts of these anti-caking agents on all varieties of our shredded cheeses, which helps ensure our cheese is easier for consumers to use. Form your own opinion on what is good or bad...I use both blocks of cheese and preshredded personally (when lazy).

Hmmmmm
janetupnorth said:
Yes, I've heard that many times...it is a preservative...

Oh Ann? Queen of useless and useful facts - where are you????

Does that now make you princess or dutchess of useless and useful facts?
LOL

Debbie :D

DebbieSAChef said:
Does that now make you princess or dutchess of useless and useful facts?
LOL

Something like that I guess...I'm known around work to be able to Google and have an answer in 30 seconds or less for practically any topic... :rolleyes:

janetupnorth said:
Something like that I guess...I'm known around work to be able to Google and have an answer in 30 seconds or less for practically any topic... :rolleyes:

We have all got to be known for something!

chefmeg said:
We have all got to be known for something!

Thanks - I prefer to believe I have a nobler mission in life than that though.... :blushing:

janetupnorth said:
If I ever go on who wants to be millionaire, will you be my phone a friend? LOL

missyciccolella said:

Okay - you get Janet, and I'm taking Ann!!! Dibs on ChefAnn! I called it!

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - you get Janet, and I'm taking Ann!!! Dibs on ChefAnn! I called it!

I'm so hurt Becky.... :cry: But I'd pick Ann first too - LOL! :D

Actually, I'd build a strong team, it all depends on the useless fact needed...

missyciccolella said:

Are you going to share the winnings???? Well, maybe I can be bribed with chocolate.... :love:

janetupnorth said:
I'm so hurt Becky.... :cry: But I'd pick Ann first too - LOL! :D

Actually, I'd build a strong team, it all depends on the useless fact needed...

Well, Missy had already picked you......I wanted my OWN useless but important facts person! And you know, Ann is bored at her job.....she could just be sitting there ready all the time!

Back to cheese... :) On a training CD I was listening to Cooking Show live and when using shredded cheese, the consultant asked if there were any nurses in the audience. Then she read the contents of the cheese and asked them what the ingredient that ends in -cin (can't remember what it's called and I don't have any shredded cheese on hand to look) and three that were nurses said that it's an antibiotic so that people don't get sick from it if it molds or something like that.

One more reason not to use shredded cheese!!!!!!

Lol
missyciccolella said:

That is funny!! I can just picture it!!

DebbieSAChef said:
That is funny!! I can just picture it!!

Funny, right when I read this my cell phone started to vibrate...she's calling me already! :D

finley1991 said:
Back to cheese... :) On a training CD I was listening to Cooking Show live and when using shredded cheese, the consultant asked if there were any nurses in the audience. Then she read the contents of the cheese and asked them what the ingredient that ends in -cin (can't remember what it's called and I don't have any shredded cheese on hand to look) and three that were nurses said that it's an antibiotic so that people don't get sick from it if it molds or something like that.

One more reason not to use shredded cheese!!!!!!
That's gross.

I heard that shredded cheese has plastic in it. That's when I bought my grater.

1. What is "Shredded Cheese Preservative"?

"Shredded Cheese Preservative" is a preservative blend specifically designed for shredded cheese. It helps to prevent clumping and maintain the freshness of shredded cheese for longer periods of time.

2. How does "Shredded Cheese Preservative" work?

The preservative blend in "Shredded Cheese Preservative" helps to inhibit mold growth and prevent moisture from being absorbed by the cheese, which can cause clumping. It also helps to maintain the texture and flavor of the cheese.

3. Is "Shredded Cheese Preservative" safe for consumption?

Yes, "Shredded Cheese Preservative" is safe for consumption. It is made from natural ingredients and is approved by the FDA for use in food products.

4. Can "Shredded Cheese Preservative" be used on any type of shredded cheese?

Yes, "Shredded Cheese Preservative" can be used on any type of shredded cheese, including cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan. It is especially useful for cheeses that are prone to clumping, such as softer varieties like feta or goat cheese.

5. How much "Shredded Cheese Preservative" should I use?

The recommended usage for "Shredded Cheese Preservative" is 1 teaspoon per 8 ounces of shredded cheese. However, you may adjust the amount based on personal preference or the type of cheese being used. It is always best to start with a small amount and add more if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• micocina
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenne
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • Loveh20mi