• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Peel Potatoes for Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

In summary, the chowder is delicious and can be made with either potatoes with the peel or without. The recipe can be made with whole milk or a lower fatmilk or cream. Adding bacon or garlic bites makes it even better.
Meigs
Just a stupid question.....
Do I peel the potatoes before I start, for the Loaded Baked potato Chowder??

=-)

I don't. :)

I don't...love the flavor you get from the peels...also all the nutrients are in them. Just a hint about making this chowder...do not use anything except regular milk. I learned this from experience as we only have 1% in our home. It came out thinner than a chowder should, and I scooped out at least 1 cup of liquid before we ate it. It was delicious, though!!!!! I have made this since and added corn, peas, small broccoli pieces, mushrooms, and bacon bits (on top) after it was cooked. Not all in the same batch, but mixed and matched.

Thanks Leslie,
I guess a baked potato has it's skin on doesn't it....LOL

I usually end up using smaller potatoes than what the recipe calls for (much cheaper, and it's what most people already have on hand) which means there is more peel, and so I do peel the potatoes partly. I found that when I didn't peel them, I had a very unattractive layer of potato peel floating on the top of the chowder.:yuck:

So, now, I peel them around the middle before the party. I still have some peel in the chowder, just not a whole layer of it on top!

Has anyone ever cooked bacon on the lg bar pan in the oven wail you are making the chowder in the microwave?

How does it go over? Anyone ever grossed out because of all the grease?
Or does it work out ok?

That's a good Idea Becky!
That's what I am using is the small potatoes! I will do that!!
Thank you!

I peel my potatoes. Adding bacon is good, and baking the bacon at the show is an awesome way to show the stoneware bar pan in action. Last time I made the chowder with sweet potatoes, I'm making it again today for us, it is so good!! And I have made this with whipping cream before. Completely unhealthy- but SO GOOD! :p

WOW..I NEVER would have thought to make it with Sweet Potatoes..but..hhmm..I might have to try that.

how does the bacon not just sit in grease on the bar pan?

I partially peel mine, since the kids didnt like too much skin in it...made it again last night..I also add extra cheese if it seems not thick enough..bacon and a blob of sourcream and chives on top...yummy!!

Peels = chowder
no peels = soup

I can't get my chowder to come out tasting good or looking good for that fact. It looks really soupy when it comes out of the micro. I follow the recipe exact, and still can't get it. What might I be doing wrong?

cmdtrgd said:
Peels = chowder
no peels = soup
Actually chowder is not defined by whether or not there is peel in it. I've never had Clam chowder with potato peels, or chicken corn chowder either.A chowder usually has potatoes in it, is quite chunky, and it is made with cream or milk and could be clam, corn, potato, or another type of chowder. A bisque is a creamed based soup. A stew has a lot of different vegetables and meat in it, but generally doesn't have a lot of water in it. Soup generally has a great deal of water in it, with vegetables and meat.

I should have been more clear. The peels make it a chowder consistency because of the natural thickening properties. Husband prefers soup consistency, so I peel the potatoes.

I didn't know that the peels thickened it- good to know. (I do peel mine though) If you wanted it thicker, can you just add more potatoes, or use less milk, or use a higher fat milk or cream? I think any of those ideas would work.

I have found that having enough potatoes is key to getting this recipe its desired thick consistency. The recipe says 3 large russet potatoes or 2.5 pounds of potatoes. Well 2.5lbs of potaotes is HALF of the standard 5-pound bag so that is a lot of potatoes! :chef:

I have used 1% and 2% milk and it still has come out nice and chowder-like. Otherwise, I would suggest adding less milk.

I love demo-ing this recipe with the Quick Garlic Bites. YUMMO!

Watch the video demo on the PC website. It gives you some ideas to say when you are making the chowder--such as, "using the potatoes with the peel saves time and give the chowder more texture". So to answer your question, "no, I don't peel the potatoes." And I agree with another poster, use whole milk.

I made it last night for dinner, and it was delicious. Perfect for a pre-blizzard meal!

I don't peel the potatoes and I always use 1% milk (it's the only thing I buy). I've never had it come out watery. In fact I made a double batch last weekend for a party we had and so it sat in a pot on the stove for a while before it was eaten and it actually thickened quite a bit. People loved that they could add their own toppings and customize it. I didn't add the gr. onions to the DCB because I personally don't like them and figured other people might not so I just had it as another topping (I had extra cheese, bacon, steamed broccoli, gr. onions and sour cream)

I don't peel the potatoes (at home or show) at home i use skim milk(what i always buy) i've never had a problem with thickness also i use the smaller potatoes too...

It is also on our dinner menu for tonight too...

I actually use a whole block of cream cheese (the recipe only calls for half right)? And its a lot thicker. I also leave the peels on...better nutrition.

I also do the bacon on the bar pan while I am preparing the soup. When the bacon is done I lay it on paper towels, the grease is no different than doing it in a pan and all my guests are very impressed, especially when I say they can do pancakes the same way, all in the bar pan with out standing at the stove flipping pancakes while everyone else starts eating!

Hi all! I do not peel them. But I did make a mistake that ended up becoming a must-do. I use the entire 8oz block of cream cheese and it is AWESOME. Nice and thick, potatoes never look 'pebble' like again!

1. Should I peel the potatoes for Loaded Baked Potato Chowder?

It is a personal preference whether or not to peel the potatoes. If you prefer a smoother texture, peeling the potatoes may be a good idea. However, leaving the skin on can add extra flavor and nutrients to the dish.

2. Can I use red potatoes instead of russet potatoes for this chowder?

Yes, you can use red potatoes instead of russet potatoes. However, red potatoes have a thinner skin, so they may not hold up as well in the soup. If using red potatoes, make sure to chop them into smaller pieces to prevent them from falling apart.

3. Do I need to boil the potatoes before adding them to the chowder?

No, you do not need to boil the potatoes before adding them to the chowder. They will cook and soften in the soup. However, if you prefer a softer texture, you can boil them for a few minutes before adding them to the soup.

4. Can I use frozen potatoes for this recipe?

Yes, you can use frozen potatoes for this recipe. Make sure to thaw them before adding them to the chowder. Keep in mind that frozen potatoes may have a different texture and may not hold up as well in the soup.

5. How long does it take for the potatoes to cook in the chowder?

The cooking time for the potatoes will vary depending on the size of the potato pieces and the heat level. Generally, it takes about 20-25 minutes for the potatoes to become tender in the chowder.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pampered2007
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Chefstover2
  • pctharper