• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

An Important Question: Steel or Aluminum Sheet Pans?

Structurally it makes sense...just a note about the "warping" or twisting....I've never had my sheet-pans do "the oven-twist", but my new Cookie Sheet did when I first used it. It popped back though and didn't stay that way (like some kinds do).....just twisted a bit in the oven. So be sure if you tell customers that our pans won't warp or twist- you are specifying the SHEET PANS. :)
Crystal Patton
I have a Host who is ... (I can't think of a nice word right now). She wants to know if the sheet pans are steel on the inside, aluminum on the outside or the other way around. It doesn't say in the catty and I have learned NOT to assume anything with her.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

I think they are Aluminum on the inside (for heat conduction), and then Steel on the outside. I'll see if I can find the info where I saw that.

Here you go....from the "PIG" on CC.
Features & Benefits:
The Sheet Pans are constructed of 0.8mm aluminized steel and are perfect for baking,
roasting and broiling. Rolled edges are reinforced with a wire rim to add durability and prevent warping even
when used in the broiler. 1"/2.5 cm high sides provide an easy grip and prevent juices and batters from spilling
over. Uncoated aluminized steel provides even heat distribution, so cookies and rolls won't have burnt bottoms.
Easy-release properties provide effortless cleanup in the dishwasher. Pans nest for easy storage.

Just a note about the "warping" or twisting....I've never had my sheet-pans do "the oven-twist", but my new Cookie Sheet did when I first used it. It popped back though and didn't stay that way (like some kinds do).....just twisted a bit in the oven. So be sure if you tell customers that our pans won't warp or twist- you are specifying the SHEET PANS. :)

Thanks guys!!!

esavvymom said:
Just a note about the "warping" or twisting....I've never had my sheet-pans do "the oven-twist", but my new Cookie Sheet did when I first used it. It popped back though and didn't stay that way (like some kinds do).....just twisted a bit in the oven. So be sure if you tell customers that our pans won't warp or twist- you are specifying the SHEET PANS. :)

I had the same thing happen but didn't post on it. The cookie sheet will twist and pop back. The sheet pans do not. Structurally it makes sense...

esavvymom said:

I noticed this the first time with my cookie sheet too and I was very bummed. But i have to say that in subsequent uses I have NOT noticed that happening. So I'm hopeful that it's just a "first time use" phenomenon.

They are noticeably thinner than the sheet pans. I just pointed it out so we didn't mistakenly say that all of the sheet pans/cookie sheet would not twist. It's good to know they may only do it the first time though. I've only used it once so far myself. I'll watch and see what happens the next time.

I used my cookie sheet to make Spritz Cookies last night and after the 3rd or so batch it made the distictive popping sound and sure enough, it had twisted! This wasn't the first time I had used the sheet either, I was very surprised and a little disappointed as well. I do still love the cookie sheet even though it pops.

1. What are the main differences between steel and aluminum sheet pans?

The main difference between steel and aluminum sheet pans is their material composition. Steel sheet pans are made from a blend of carbon and iron, while aluminum sheet pans are made from a non-reactive metal. Steel sheet pans are also more durable and can handle higher temperatures, while aluminum sheet pans are more lightweight and may be better for baking delicate items.

2. Which type of sheet pan is better for baking cookies?

For baking cookies, aluminum sheet pans are typically the preferred choice. This is because aluminum is a better conductor of heat, meaning it will distribute heat more evenly and result in more evenly baked cookies. Aluminum sheet pans are also less likely to warp or bend, which can affect the shape and texture of your cookies.

3. Can I use steel sheet pans in the same way as aluminum sheet pans?

Yes, steel sheet pans can be used in the same way as aluminum sheet pans. However, it is important to note that steel sheet pans may require a longer preheating time and may retain heat for longer periods, so adjustments may need to be made to baking times and temperatures.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing between steel and aluminum sheet pans?

In addition to the material composition, it is also important to consider the thickness of the sheet pan. Thicker sheet pans will be more durable and less likely to warp, but they may also take longer to preheat. Other factors to consider include the type of food you will be cooking and your personal baking preferences.

5. Can I use steel and aluminum sheet pans interchangeably?

While steel and aluminum sheet pans can be used for similar purposes, they are not interchangeable. Each type of sheet pan has its own unique properties and may be better suited for different types of cooking. It is important to choose the right type of sheet pan for the specific recipe or food you will be cooking to ensure the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cooking_Mama
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Kathy's_Kitchen
  • JulieHaak