• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sharpening a Can Opener: Is It Time for a Replacement?

I'm having the same problem with my new can opener. I've had it for a few weeks and the first time I used it, it went around the can 3 or 4 times and then the lid came off. Now it won't go around at all. I'm pretty sure it's the can opener, but I don't know how to fix it.Two customers are reporting that their new can openers are not working properly. One customer had difficulty with the first time they used the opener and the second customer had difficulty with the second time they used the opener. It is possible that the can opener is not functioning properly.
lmklipfel
Is there any way to sharpen the can opener? A customer is asking and it might be time for a new one.

It's probably NOT the can opener. It most likely the cans. I started to have problems with my old one. It seemed to be dull and would take two to three times around before the can was actulally opened. It was several years old so I bought a new one. I had the same problems with the new one. It seems like generic cans these days are a bit thinner and are harder to open because the old style can opener had a set depth. I LOVE the new can opener and have no problems on good or cheap cans now. Thought I'd hate that thing and found I love the re-design.

I did send a message to HO asking if my customer could sharpen her 'old style' can opener. This is their response: Your customer may try taking the Can Opener to a professional sharpening service, sometimes they will provide sharpening services to a large range of kitchen tools and not just knives. I hope this helps answer your question.'

Tonight I tried to open a can of salmon. Neither the can opener in my drawer or the one in my kit would open it. Both can openers are the new style. Neither would keep the grip on the can all the way around. I finally gave up on one can and tried another. Although I had problems, I was able to open the can enough to remove the contents. Has anyone else had this problem? Oh, I have had problems with other cans at shows, but finally managed to open them. Both can openers worked just fine at first.

Two times in the past week I've had a problem opening cans with the new opener. And these are the same brand cans that opened easily in the past. I wonder if it's a can opener issue?

I had a hard time with my can opener the other day too! It went clear around, but I had a heck of a time getting the lid to come off, as if it didn't get clear through the can. I finally had to use a bottle opener to get it off. Fortunately, I was not doing a show, just opening a can at home.

1. How often should I sharpen my can opener?

It is recommended to sharpen your can opener every few months or as needed, depending on how frequently you use it and the type of cans you are opening.

2. How do I know if my can opener needs to be sharpened or replaced?

If you notice that your can opener is struggling to open cans or leaving jagged edges, it may be time for a sharpening or replacement. Additionally, if the blades are visibly rusted or dull, it is best to replace the can opener for safety and hygiene reasons.

3. Can I sharpen my can opener at home or do I need a professional?

You can sharpen your can opener at home with a can opener sharpener or a sharpening stone. However, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, it is best to take it to a professional for sharpening.

4. Are there any special techniques for sharpening a can opener?

To sharpen a can opener, simply run the sharpener or sharpening stone along the blades in a back and forth motion. Make sure to clean and dry the blades before and after sharpening for best results.

5. How can I prolong the lifespan of my can opener?

To prolong the lifespan of your can opener, it is important to clean and dry it after each use. Avoid putting it in the dishwasher as it can damage the blades. You can also use food-grade mineral oil to lubricate the gears and prevent rusting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• robotChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • ibusse13
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Jennifer Hunsucker