• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Revive Your Food-Chopper: Tips for Sharpening and Maintaining Its Performance

L
lyneya
I just had a customer email me to see if there's a way to sharpen her food-chopper. She loves hers, but it doesn't chop as well as it once did.

I told her about the 5 year warranty if she's still got the receipts, but just in case...any ideas?

Tell her to fold some aluminum foil up and to chop through that a few times. Don't know if it will work - but this is how we sharpen our scrapbooking paper punches. :)

Marg said:
Tell her to fold some aluminum foil up and to chop through that a few times. Don't know if it will work - but this is how we sharpen our scrapbooking paper punches. :)

Thank you! I don't see why the technique wouldn't transfer to the foodchopper...she's going to try it and was thrilled to at least have something to try.

Thanks again!

I have also heard...to chop ice! This is supposed to work. Haven't done it because my food chopper is 3+ years old and still sharp!

Tell her to call home office, if she remembers who or about when she ordered it, they will replace it. They just replaced mine that I got 2 years ago at my bridal shower with no recite. I told them who the consultant was, and about the time what time the show was and they replaced it no problem! :D

Foil and Ice NOT recommendedI spoke with a woman named Julie about 2 weeks ago regarding this issue. Julie said that foil and ice would not sharpen, but dull the chopper. She said that with proper use, the chopper should not dull. If you use it on traditional veggies, meat, etc. She did say that if you chop a lot of hard candies with it, it can potentially dull. Upon which, you could take it to a professional knife sharpener and see if they could sharpen it a bit.
I do not use hard candies on mine. I use the meat tenderizer for crushing them.
I would recommend calling home office first, regarding replacement AND regarding solutions to a performance problem with a product. Assumption solutions could potentially do more harm than good to your customers product.
I will say that I use foil to sharpen my punches for cropping. About 3 years ago at the National Scrapbook Convention, I had a Fiskars representative tell me that they did not recommend it on their scissors. Then, some time last year I was looking at their website and by george, they were offering that as a solution.

rwesterpchef said:
I spoke with a woman named Julie about 2 weeks ago regarding this issue. Julie said that foil and ice would not sharpen, but dull the chopper. She said that with proper use, the chopper should not dull. If you use it on traditional veggies, meat, etc. She did say that if you chop a lot of hard candies with it, it can potentially dull. Upon which, you could take it to a professional knife sharpener and see if they could sharpen it a bit.
I do not use hard candies on mine. I use the meat tenderizer for crushing them.
I would recommend calling home office first, regarding replacement AND regarding solutions to a performance problem with a product. Assumption solutions could potentially do more harm than good to your customers product.
Great advice Rita!

Another thing that can dull the chopper or your knives is using a glass cutting board.

Or using it on your marble/granite countertop will dull the blades of your chopper, knives, etc.

Dull conversation!Wood cutting boards and even the rubber lid can dull the blade. There used to be a sharpener for them. I have not seen it listed on the replacement parts form for several years but...
Again, it would be in the best interest of both of you to have her call the home office.
Bogus, bad advice can loose you a customer. Let the experts do their thing.
Just a note. We all know we live in a "disposable" world. I am thinking that a Food Chopper blade will last about as long as the warranty. In fact, it will really be unusable one day after the 5 years is up. (Sorry, I was just thinking of the car I just got rid of last year! It really was one day after!)

Last edited:
Chopper Blades and Preventing DullingHere's a great opportunity to cross-sell the cutting boards. They are made with polyethylene and will not dull chopper, knife, pizza, crinkle cutter blades etc....

I always present the chopper and a board together. Acrylic and glass boards will dull blades but our boards won't! A great way to sell more products!
;)

1. Can I sharpen my food-chopper at home?

Yes, you can sharpen your food-chopper at home with a few simple tools. All you need is a sharpening stone or rod, some lubricant, and a pair of gloves to protect your hands.

2. How often should I sharpen my food-chopper?

The frequency of sharpening your food-chopper will depend on how often you use it and the type of food you chop. As a general rule, it is recommended to sharpen your food-chopper every 6 months to maintain its performance.

3. What are the signs that my food-chopper needs sharpening?

If you notice that your food-chopper is not chopping as well as it used to, it may be a sign that the blades are dull. Other signs include struggling to chop through tougher foods or producing uneven cuts.

4. Can I use any type of sharpening stone or rod for my food-chopper?

No, it is important to use a sharpening stone or rod specifically designed for kitchen knives and tools. Using the wrong type of stone or rod can damage the blades of your food-chopper.

5. Are there any other maintenance tips for keeping my food-chopper in top shape?

Aside from sharpening, it is important to regularly clean and dry your food-chopper after each use. This will prevent food particles from building up and causing rust or corrosion. Additionally, make sure to store your food-chopper in a dry and safe place to avoid any damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bbenton4
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
EpTxGuy
  • cookingwithjennifer@gmail
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
cookingwithjennifer@gmail
  • stephaniek