• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do I Need a Seller's Permit for My Direct Sales Business in Wisconsin?

In summary, after meeting with a home-based consultant, it was mentioned that they would need a seller's permit in order to do business in Wisconsin. My director did not go into detail as to why I do not need a seller's permit. Can anyone provide insight?
adnoel
Hi Everyone -

I started with PC in January and recently met with someone to get a jumpstart on organizing stuff so that filing taxes was as simple as possible. When I met with them, they mentioned that I'd need a seller's permit in order to do business (I am in Wisconsin). Having never heard this from my recruiter or director, I was kind of shocked. I emailed my directer after the meeting and her response was simply "no, you don't need one." My director didn't go into details as to why I don't need one. Can anyone provide insight?

After doing some initial research, I *think* it might be because PC technically collects all sales tax on orders; consultants don't. I am more confused now and would like to find clarity sooner rather than later. Also, if I don't need a seller's permit, does this also mean we don't have to file quarterly sales and usage paperwork?

Thanks!

I have never filed any quarterly sales and usage paperwork and I've been in biz for over 2 years. You may want to call HO on this. A few consultants have to have a business license in their state but not all. I know in TN, we don't! PC collects all sales tax and we don't.

No, we do not any licenses, or pay our own taxes on sales, because TPC takes care of it. If you are going to invest in someone helping you, I would advise you to make sure the person you are working with is familiar with home-based, direct selling businesses.

In our state, TPC has a special form on file with Tax & Revenue Dept. declaring to them that they take care of all sales taxes (here it's called "Gross Receipts").

We do, however, pay income tax on our pay and bonuses, because we are considered self-employed!

Were they from H&R Block? I tried to do my taxes online with them this week and it would not let me file my expenses. I switched over to TaxCut.com and it allowed everything and I got my refund!

Oh no! I was planning on doing H&R Block! Did you use the home & business version? I just started a new job, so I have been too busy to start my taxes, although I have everything organized and ready to go!

I am not a fan of H&R Block, all the stories I've heard are bad ones.

I've used TurboTax for almost a decade now, and never had issues with entering my expenses for my business or anything.

If you are using an accountant or CPA, I'd look for someone who has experience with Direct Sales consultants. Ask around in your cluster. You'll want someone who is familiar with how the business model works, and understands that you aren't a traditional entrepreneur with a brick and mortar store and inventory and such.

NooraK said:
I am not a fan of H&R Block, all the stories I've heard are bad ones.

I've used TurboTax for almost a decade now, and never had issues with entering my expenses for my business or anything.

If you are using an accountant or CPA, I'd look for someone who has experience with Direct Sales consultants.
Ask around in your cluster. You'll want someone who is familiar with how the business model works, and understands that you aren't a traditional entrepreneur with a brick and mortar store and inventory and such.

I would NEVER use H&R Block. They completely took advantage of my Mom (who we later found out was in the beginning stages of Alzheimers). The story is too long to tell here, but it took almost 3 years to resolve the situation. The people that I had to deal with were rude and uncooperative - sealed the deal for me to say that I'd never use them again.

I've used Turbo Tax Home & Business for several years - at one point my DH and I were both self-employed, and TT has never let us down. We've been very happy with it.

My director has an accountant who specializes in Home Based Businesses, and she loves him - if I didn't use TT, I would definitely use him. Her DH is a teacher, and also runs Running Camps for kids and adults - and this accountant is great at keeping all three of their jobs in order, and making sure they get the best return.

I used TaxCut.com online and it walked me through the entire process. I filed Single with only PC commission and Unemployment as my income and it went very smoothly! H&RBlock online kept telling me I had to pay Self-Employment tax and I was eligible for EIC. Per TaxCut.com, you have to have a "normal" W-2 to even file for EIC!

H&R Block has always left a bad taste with me. I've use TT since they first came out with it, and have never had a problem. AND they guarantee your return up to a point. H&R Block thinks that just because you received a 1099 that you are an independant contractor and must pay tax on it. We are not ind contractors we are direct sellers and there is a certain code for it with the IRS. No we do not pay quarterly taxes because we do not employ any one .

Quick question regarding TurboTax since many of you swear by it. Will they be as helpful with another issue? I was looking at their options and the Home and Business one looks interesting, but I've been putting off doing our taxes because we wanted to wait until we closed on the house and see about applying for our tax credit early so we can get it this year since we want to use that for things for new house.

Will I be able to get the help and guidance through Turbo Tax online? I was going to go with H&R block because I've had good experience in past but was before I did PC and had the 1099 and now I'm not sure I want to try with them.

There is help available from TT. There are forums with other users asking and answering, and then you can opt to ask TT for help, but I believe they charge extra. I have found though, that TT makes all the steps so simple that you probably won't need help.

kcmckay said:
Quick question regarding TurboTax since many of you swear by it. Will they be as helpful with another issue? I was looking at their options and the Home and Business one looks interesting, but I've been putting off doing our taxes because we wanted to wait until we closed on the house and see about applying for our tax credit early so we can get it this year since we want to use that for things for new house.

Will I be able to get the help and guidance through Turbo Tax online? I was going to go with H&R block because I've had good experience in past but was before I did PC and had the 1099 and now I'm not sure I want to try with them.

Yes, TurboTax is great! They will walk you through each step. There are little question marks you can click on that will explain things for you.

I think to claim the credit for the house you'll have to mail your return in (not efile), but TT even explains that. We're claiming that credit this year, too!

What is a Seller's Permit?

A Seller's Permit, also known as a Sales and Use Tax Permit, is a document that allows businesses to collect and remit sales tax to the state.

Who needs a Seller's Permit?

Any business that sells tangible goods or services is required to have a Seller's Permit. This includes businesses that operate online or have a physical location.

How do I obtain a Seller's Permit?

You can apply for a Seller's Permit through your state's tax agency. The application process typically involves providing information about your business and paying a fee.

Do I need a Seller's Permit if I sell on a marketplace like Etsy or Amazon?

Yes, even if you sell on a marketplace, you are still responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax. You will need a Seller's Permit in order to do so.

What happens if I don't have a Seller's Permit?

Operating without a Seller's Permit is illegal and can result in penalties and fines. It is important to obtain a permit before starting your business to avoid any legal issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• California Girl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
chef131doreen
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • NooraK