• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is the Utility Knife Better Than a Bread Knife?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the comparison between the green bread knife and the utility knife. The participants express their love for the green bread knife and its versatility in various tasks. They also discuss the importance of using the right knife for the task at hand and the safety hazards of using the wrong size or type of knife. The utility knife, specifically the Forged Cutlery Utility Knife, is highly recommended and praised for its efficiency and sharpness. There is also a brief discussion about the honing tool and its purpose.
avelissar
I absolutely love my green bread knife! I use it for everything! :love:

I am not so fond of the 5 inch utility knife. I find myself using my bread knife, whenever a recipe calls for the utility knife. It is so much easier and effective!

I love my green bread knife for cutting dough, onions, tomatoes, peppers, celantro - basically anthing that you are supposed to use the utility knife for.

Well, here's the problem - the utility knife is the higher priced item, and I want to sell them. However - tasks are so much easier using my bread knife.

How so you demo the utility knife? What are its pro's?

Thanks!

Andrea

Which utility knife are you talking about? Forged Cultery? the one with the Honing Case? There is no green utility knife.

Like Deb - I would need to know which utility knife you are referring to.

It surprises me that you prefer the bread knife for some of those tasks. The utility knife is the perfect size to cut things like onions, peppers, and cilantro. A larger knife makes it easier to hurt yourself. The bread knife would be the best choice for the dough.The tomato knife would be the best choice for the tomatoes. Matching the knife to the task is key to safety.

To me, a bread knife is entirely too long to handle some of those tasks. It might be that it works for you, but have you tried to use any of the other knives? I ask because for the longest time I was using these cheap steak knives that I got as a wedding gift for EVERYTHING! I thought they were really good. The utility knife was the first real knife I bought and I just fell in love with how great our FC is. When I became a consultant, the set was the first thing I bought (at 1/2 price when I had my grand opening).Rae's right, you really should match up the knife with the task. Accidents happen so much from people using the wrong size/kind of knife. The green knife is great, but I can't imagine using it for everything.

Rae's right, . . .
I love those words. ;)Seriously, give the utility knife a try. If it's the green you're responding to, the green Santoku handles most tasks safely and efficiently. I went through some knife training years ago, and the instructor said the first rule of knife safety is to use the right knife for the job. Too large or too small can cause trouble.

raebates said:
I love those words. ;)

LOL....Rae, you're priceless and fabulous! I always look forward to your posts! Beware....you keep being funny, and I may become your lurking stalker!

Laurie, you really need to raise your standards. As for being funny, I decided years ago that one of my purposes for being on this planet is comic relief. Life's too serious to be taken seriously.Oh, yeah, and most of my best stuff is "creatively adapted" from other, funnier people.

Hey,

I meant the one that comes in the kit.

Thanks!

Andrea

avelissar said:
Hey,

I meant the one that comes in the kit.

Thanks!

Andrea

That would be the Forged Cutlery Utility Knife. Pick it up and use it and you'll be sold. They are the best knives I've ever used in my life.

I agree, I love the green bread knife for bread, but beyond that, I love the forged cutlery! I do reach quite often for the utility knife, but since I have the Santuko's (both sizes) and the chef's I use those more. I definitely think it's one of those things... force yourself to use and then you'll love it!

I also agree - use it, use it, use it. And keep it honed and sharp. I LOVE this knife, I have two and use them ALL the time. I had finally bought some "good" (fairly expensive)knives not too long before becoming a consultant, and I loved them, but after trying ours I hardly use them at all.

And absolutely, use the right knife for the job. I love my green bread knife (wish I had the forged one though!) but it is not going to work well or be safe for everything.

Completely OT, but does the honing tool sharpen the knife or just keep it straight? I had two guests last week say my knife was not as sharp as the paring knife with the honing tool.
Can I use our knife sharpener on the Utility Knife (forged steel)?
Thanks!!

loreo said:
Completely OT, but does the honing tool sharpen the knife or just keep it straight? I had two guests last week say my knife was not as sharp as the paring knife with the honing tool.
Can I use our knife sharpener on the Utility Knife (forged steel)?
Thanks!!

The honing tool straightens the blade. Sharpening actually takes away metal from the blade. The honing tool is a great addition to the knives!

AnnieBee said:
I also agree - use it, use it, use it. And keep it honed and sharp. I LOVE this knife, I have two and use them ALL the time. I had finally bought some "good" (fairly expensive)knives not too long before becoming a consultant, and I loved them, but after trying ours I hardly use them at all.

And absolutely, use the right knife for the job. I love my green bread knife (wish I had the forged one though!) but it is not going to work well or be safe for everything.

I had the same thing happen... My MIL bought me a complete set of Kitchen Aid knives just before I became a consultant, and during my first 90 days I earned the Chef's, Santuko, & Bread knives, and after that every time I used the KA knives they just sucked! And before I thought they were so great... so I finally just recently bought the PC Knife Block and gave my 21 DS my KA knife block with all of the knives... he was thrilled and I have more counter space!

The Forged Culery Utility knife is the best! I already had a really nice set of knives - and the FC from PC has replaced them all.

I tried the Utility Knife first. DH loved it so much - we fought over it! We make dinner together many times and whoever got started first - got the knife. We finally had to buy another one. :) This is definitely my "goto" knife.

Yep! My other knives are henckels ones. After I got them, I went to a couple of PC partys where the consultant handed around the knives, and I had NO interest in them, even "feeling" the weight. I was only after getting the utilty knife in my kit that I actually used the PC forged cutlery, and totally fell in love with it. I got the 5" santoku for SAT, and then bought the 3 piece set that was the host special last august.

Anyway, the point of me posting (again!) is to say, you HAVE to try these knives to see how great they are (especially given the price). If you don't have people use them at your shows, start! If you don't do an interective show, or the recipe doesn't call for the knives, then have a couple of potatoes or SOMETHING for people to try them out on. Whenever someone gets their hands on one, they almost always comment positively!

And finally, just to add to Allison's comment re the honing tool. WHat she said is absolutley correct, but even though honing is not the same as sharpening, and just keeps the blade straighter, it really does keep your knives "sharper" and cutting better. So if you don't have the honing tool, it is REALLY worth getting. I've been waiting til KE to get mine, and now I have it, it is amazing the difference it makes. So if you've used your knife for a while without honing it, the self-honing knives could well cut better.

The honing tool is essential. I used the FC Chef's Knife at my sister's house last week. She doesn't have the honing tool. The knife was not in good shape and did not cut very well. Anyone who has a FC Knife NEEDS to get the Honing Tool as well.

Okay, I have the honing tool, but I don't feel like I'm using it right when I use it, so I really don't use it... I've had my FC for about a year now... please walk me through it, I'm sure they need honed by now... Is it supposed to feel wrong when you do it, or am I doing it wrong...

ChefPaulaB said:
Okay, I have the honing tool, but I don't feel like I'm using it right when I use it, so I really don't use it... I've had my FC for about a year now... please walk me through it, I'm sure they need honed by now... Is it supposed to feel wrong when you do it, or am I doing it wrong...

You should hone it every few uses. Just pull it straight through the honing tool a couple times before you use.

I ordered the honing tool with KE, now just waiting on. What should I do in the meantime? I have shows Fri and Sat.

Thanks!

Off subject a little---but did any of you see QVC this morning. They had a very similar color coated knife and the gal helping to sell them had on a denim apron! I couldn't believe it!

What is a utility knife and what makes it different from other knives?

A utility knife is a versatile kitchen tool that has a small, sharp blade. It is different from other knives because it can be used for a variety of tasks such as slicing, dicing, and mincing. It is also smaller and more lightweight than a chef's knife, making it easier to handle.

What are the benefits of using a utility knife?

There are several benefits to using a utility knife. It is smaller and more maneuverable than a larger knife, making it ideal for detailed tasks. It can also be used for a wider range of kitchen tasks, reducing the need for multiple knives. Additionally, the sharp blade of a utility knife allows for precise and clean cuts.

What materials are used to make the utility knife?

Our utility knives are made with high-quality stainless steel blades that are durable and long-lasting. The handles are made with ergonomic designs, providing a comfortable grip for extended use. We also offer a variety of handle materials, including wood, plastic, and metal, to suit your personal preference.

Can the utility knife be used for cutting meat and vegetables?

Yes, the utility knife is perfect for cutting both meat and vegetables. Its sharp blade can easily slice through various types of meat, including chicken, beef, and fish. It is also great for chopping vegetables such as onions, carrots, and peppers. The versatility of the utility knife makes it a valuable tool in any kitchen.

How do I care for and maintain my utility knife?

To keep your utility knife in top condition, it is important to properly care for it. After each use, wash the knife with warm, soapy water and dry it thoroughly. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials on the blade. It is also recommended to sharpen the blade regularly to maintain its sharpness. Store the knife in a safe place, away from other sharp objects, to prevent damage to the blade.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
  • ChefPaulaB