• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Self Rising Flour in M&M Cookies?

In summary, self-rising flour is a type of flour that already contains leavening agents, making it different from all-purpose flour which requires additional leavening agents. All-purpose flour can be substituted for self-rising flour in recipes, but additional baking powder and salt need to be added for the same leavening effect. It is recommended to chill the dough before baking, even when using self-rising flour. While self-rising flour can be used in most cookie recipes, it is best to stick to recipes that specifically call for it for desired results. Self-rising flour can last up to 6 months when stored properly in an airtight container.
winklermom
I would like to make a batch of M&M cookies but I'm out of all purpose flour. Can I use self-rising and omit the baking powder & salt or will it affect the final product in an unappealing way?

winklermom said:
I would like to make a batch of M&M cookies but I'm out of all purpose flour. Can I use self-rising and omit the baking powder & salt or will it affect the final product in an unappealing way?

According to this website you can. It gives both needing self-rising and not having it as well as needing regular all-purpose flour and not having it.

Ingredient Substitution - Joyofbaking.com

This is a great website to give out as a tip at a show. I needed honey just yesterday and did not have any. I would never have guessed I could use molasses!

TrudysOwn said:
According to this website you can. It gives both needing self-rising and not having it as well as needing regular all-purpose flour and not having it.

Ingredient Substitution - Joyofbaking.com

This is a great website to give out as a tip at a show. I needed honey just yesterday and did not have any. I would never have guessed I could use molasses!

Wow! What a great resource. Thanks so much for sharing.

1. What exactly is self-rising flour and how is it different from all-purpose flour?

Self-rising flour is a type of flour that already contains leavening agents, such as baking powder and salt. This means that you do not have to add any additional leavening agents when using self-rising flour in your baking. All-purpose flour, on the other hand, does not contain any leavening agents and is typically used in recipes that call for additional baking powder or baking soda.

2. Can I substitute all-purpose flour for self-rising flour in this recipe?

Yes, you can substitute all-purpose flour for self-rising flour in this recipe, but you will need to add additional baking powder (1 ½ teaspoons per cup of all-purpose flour) and salt (¼ teaspoon per cup of all-purpose flour) to achieve the same leavening effect.

3. Do I still need to chill the dough if I use self-rising flour?

Yes, it is still recommended to chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking, even if you use self-rising flour. This will help the cookies hold their shape and prevent them from spreading too much while baking.

4. Can I use self-rising flour in all types of cookies?

Self-rising flour can be used in most cookie recipes, but it may alter the texture and taste of the cookies. It is best to stick to recipes that specifically call for self-rising flour to achieve the desired results.

5. How long does self-rising flour last and how should I store it?

Self-rising flour can last up to 6 months when stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It is important to check the expiration date on the packaging and to properly seal the container to prevent moisture and pests from getting in.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• straitfan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sklay723
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Oracle