• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seasoning Stoneware: Quick Recipe and Tips | Crisco & Oven Method

In summary, to season stoneware, use Crisco and salt, and bake in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. Be cautious about using too much Crisco on a smaller stone.
ChefChris
Gold Member
Question about seasoning stoneware.

I know that I saw a thread that someone had responded to with a quick recipe to season stoneware. It used Crisco (I think) and something else and then put stone in oven at a low temp for so many minutes. Could someone help me out with the exact recipe for this? Thanks much

I can't help with exact recipe. However, I got a new stoneware fluted pan. I used canola oil and painted the inside with the silcone basting brush--a good heavy coat. I let it sit 30 min or more and sort of wiped out any that had pooled up and areas that looked to heavy and did the cake with the mix, 3 eggs and a can of pie filling. I microwaved 11 min- the cake was pulling away from the sides. I loosened it a little around the middle thing and flipped it over. It came right out. Not bad for the first use.

Last edited:
My sister taught me this trick: Lay bacon flat in bar pan or baker, cook at 350 for 15-20 minutes. I usually turn the bacon halfway through. Don't know if you need to, but it is a habit. Wait for the grease to cool and scrape. It usually seasons in one try. And who can resist crispy bacon?

Here is what I have saved:

SEASONING stoneware - similar to seasoning cast iron...

1/2 cup crisco and 1/4 cup salt - (trust me, it works!) spread over
surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware.

Bake in a 200 degree oven 30 minutes, remove to cool. Scrub with Kitchen
Brush and hot water, not trying to remove all the oils, but just get the
salt off. Shake dry, leave out.

You're done - it's now nonstick! It works wonders for new stones.

I also emaild the test kitchen about this and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef regarding your product
question. We have not tested this method and therefore cannot comment if
this tip is successful. We would not think it would cause any harm to
the Stone, but please be cautious about using too much Crisco on a
smaller Stoneware piece. Our concern is that it would liquify and drip
in the oven, causing some smoking.

BTW, this REALLY WORKS!! I have done it with new pieces!

For pans with an edge Bacon is awesome!

BTW: Hi Chris!

Kelly,
I'm going to try that with my next new stone.

Thank you all for your input. And thanks to Kelly - I want to try this with a new piece of mine. Thanks much.

Kelly, what does the salt do?

chefjwr said:
Kelly, what does the salt do?

yeah, what she said..... :confused:

Hi, ladies (and PC guys!)~!

Kelly--allow me to step in--I am the one who originally submitted the new stoneware seasoning trick...I encourage all Cheffers to use it at your show when presenting stoneware from this point forward... - it came from my grandma's way of seasoning cast iron. The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

My original recipe said, do it twice in succession - why? For the same reason the Army makes its recruits polish their shoes twice in a row - in catches any spots you miss, and gives a better polished product:

Smear the goop around, pop it in the oven at 250, and let it go for 30 minutes or so. Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around , making some attempt to contact all of the surface...the salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little. Then pop it back in the oven, leave it for another 30 minutes, and then turn the oven off and leave it in overnight - this allows the oils to seep more into the stone[...bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it, let it cool, and rinse it out.] Then, rinse/scrape under hot water and voilla! Nonstick stoneware!

- and what is important in the proportions, is twice the crisco/lard/grease, to salt. Certainly putting 1/2 cup of crisco in a small round stone is going to cause a drippy problem in your oven - so use 2 tablespoons crisco to 1 tablespoon salt, and you're good to go. (the quantity I suggested was specifically for a stoneware fluted pan)

God Bless You! Take care. Praying for Paige and her family!

FYI bacon works OK, but only where the bacon or grease touches the stone.

Kelly--allow me to step in--I am the one who originally submitted the new stoneware seasoning trick...I encourage all Cheffers to use it at your show when presenting stoneware from this point forward... - it came from my grandma's way of seasoning cast iron. The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together to season the stones.

My original recipe said, do it twice in succession - why? For the same reason the Army makes its recruits polish their shoes twice in a row - in catches any spots you miss, and gives a better polished product:

Smear the goop around, pop it in the oven at 250, and let it go for 30 minutes or so. Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around , making some attempt to contact all of the surface...the salt rubs on it and smooths it just a little. Then pop it back in the oven, leave it for another 30 minutes, and then turn the oven off and leave it in overnight - this allows the oils to seep more into the stone[...bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it, let it cool, and rinse it out.] Then, rinse/scrape under hot water and voilla! Nonstick stoneware!

- and what is important in the proportions, is twice the crisco/lard/grease, to salt. Certainly putting 1/2 cup of crisco in a small round stone is going to cause a drippy problem in your oven - so use 2 tablespoons crisco to 1 tablespoon salt, and you're good to go. (the quantity I suggested was specifically for a stoneware fluted pan)

Scott posted this quite a few months ago & I use this on all my stones ( except the flat ones) It is really great on the fluted stone...I tell all my guests that buy the flutes stone & they tell me how happy they are with the method.

OH BTW Scott Rocks!!
Thanks for ALL your info!! :D :D ;)

Thank you Scott for the further explanation of this.How to season a flat stone using your process?

Funny that this thread pops up now. I was just looking at my NEW large round stone w/handles and thinking "how am I ever going to get this seasoned as well as my Large Round Stone (which is REALLY dark)

Thanks for the updated seasoning instructions Scott. I need to season a fluted and min-flured pans so that they stop sticking and this should do the trick.

Thanks scott.....I have a new fluted pan as well as a new mini loaf pan - I can season both at the same time.

woooo hoooo!!!! :D

jenniferp417 said:
Thank you Scott for the further explanation of this.

How to season a flat stone using your process?

What about putting aluminum foil under the stone and creating a rim to catch any drips? In theory, I know it would work, but I didn't know if the aluminum foil does anything to the stone... I wouldn't think so, but asking just in case...

You could get one of those disposable tinfoil oven liners & put it on the shelf just below the flat stone. But I'd be careful as greese fires in the oven are dangerous and scary (yep, I know it from personal experience).

Thanks for the tinfoil suggestions - I *thought* that would work, but I'm not always good at working stuff like that out without missing something crucial.

scottcooks said:

Scott~

Thanks for answering here! Now I know who to give credit to for that SUPER way to season stones! (and I updated what I had saved and added what you mentioned here today!)

:)

Wow.........I tried this a few days ago with my new fluted stone and my new mini loaf pan... IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I haven't heard of this sooner. EVERYONE should try this. Thanks Scott!

Thanks to all for this thread!:)

What is stoneware and why is it good for cooking?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic that is fired at very high temperatures, making it incredibly durable and non-porous. It is ideal for cooking because it distributes heat evenly, retains heat well, and can go from freezer to oven without cracking.

How do I season my stoneware?

To season your stoneware, simply rub a small amount of vegetable oil over the surface before the first use. This will help create a natural non-stick surface and prevent food from sticking. After each use, wash with hot water and mild soap, and reapply a thin layer of oil if needed.

Can I use soap on my stoneware?

Yes, you can use mild soap and hot water to clean your stoneware. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, as they can damage the surface and affect its non-stick properties. If food is stuck on, soak the stoneware in hot water before washing.

Can I put my stoneware in the dishwasher?

While most of our stoneware is dishwasher safe, we recommend hand washing to prolong its lifespan. High heat and harsh chemicals in dishwashers can cause the stoneware to crack or lose its non-stick surface. Always check the product care instructions before putting your stoneware in the dishwasher.

Is stoneware safe to use in the microwave?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the microwave. However, it may retain heat and become hot to the touch, so use caution when handling. Do not put stoneware in the microwave if it has metal accents, as they can cause sparks. Always check the product care instructions before using stoneware in the microwave.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• missymssy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • tinat51796
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • lisasfuncooking