• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seasoning Stone Quickly: Tips & Tricks for New Consultant

has a great tip for quickly seasoning a cast iron skillet without cooking on it. Just spray the pan with cooking oil and put your food on.
newbiePC
Hi all -- I'm a brand new consultant, and just found this web site. I want to season my stone quickly. Can I just spread oil on it and stick it in the oven without food -- the way you do a cast iron skillet? Does anyone have any other good tricks for seasoning it quickly (other than cresant rolls)? Thanks in advance.

If you don't have time to cook a high fat food like crecent rolls, just spray it with cooking oil put your food on the stone and cook.

I'm not sure I would go with that method. It is worth it to do the crescent rolls because with the vegetable oil you tend to get a sticky film on your stone.

I would just buy the cheapest tube of crescent rolls and cover the entire cooking surface of your stone, bake for the recommended time then serve the crescents to the kids or put jelly on them and have a snack.

I "painted" all of my stoneware with a solid fat like shortening or coconut oil before every use at least 5x. By the fifth time, the stone acted nicely seasoned. The coating was VERY thin since I used the Pastry Brush to apply a very spare coating, but it was highly effective. :)

newbiePC said:
Hi all -- I'm a brand new consultant, and just found this web site. I want to season my stone quickly. Can I just spread oil on it and stick it in the oven without food -- the way you do a cast iron skillet? Does anyone have any other good tricks for seasoning it quickly (other than cresant rolls)? Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't put it in the oven with no food on it. You really need to cover 2/3rds of the stone with food to avoid any kind of cracking or breaking. At least that's what I've heard. Good luck! And congrats on starting such an awesome business!! :D

if it's got a lip like the bar pan, cooking bacon is a good one...
-h

I just spritz the stone with oil the first several times I use it. Foods do not stick! After a while when it's very smooth to the touch you don't even really need to add the oil with most recipes. I ALWAYS oil the pans with lots of edges like the stoneware fluted pan and the mini-fluted pan.

Do not use commercial spray oils! Those cause a sticky film on your stones or cookware. If you don't have a kitchen spritzer then just put a few drops of oil on and use either a pastry brush or a piece of paper towel to spread a thin layer of oil on.

I've heard that leaving a baking stone in the oven on the bottom rack (even if you are cooking on something else above) will help the temp of the oven stay even.

I heard that on a cooking show and it wasn't specifically about PC stones.

I know people who always leave their stones in the oven too, but I've also heard of some cracking....probably because it didn't have food covering 2/3rds of the surface. :(

When I first started using stones over 14 years ago, I kept one in my oven. Still have the same stones, no problem with any of them breaking.

They're well seasoned now, so they have a new parking place while not in use.

The biggest problem that I could forsee leaving it in the oven is that if it is warm and you put something cold on it, that wouldn't be good.

Kris

1. How do I season my stone quickly?

The quickest way to season your stone is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then place your stone in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the stone and use a basting brush to evenly coat the entire surface with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Return the stone to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. Let the stone cool before using it.

2. Can I use any type of oil to season my stone?

It is recommended to use vegetable oil or canola oil to season your stone. These oils have a high smoke point and will not leave a sticky residue on your stone. Avoid using olive oil or butter as they have a lower smoke point and can leave a sticky residue on your stone.

3. How often do I need to season my stone?

It is recommended to season your stone before its first use and then once a year after that. However, if you notice your stone starting to look dull or food sticking to it, you can season it again to restore its non-stick properties.

4. Can I season my stone in the dishwasher?

No, it is not recommended to season your stone in the dishwasher. The high heat and harsh detergents can strip the oil from the stone and affect its non-stick properties. It is best to season your stone in the oven.

5. Can I use soap to clean my seasoned stone?

No, it is not recommended to use soap on your seasoned stone. Soap can also strip the oil from the stone and affect its non-stick properties. Instead, use a scraper or a damp cloth to clean any food residue from the stone. If needed, you can use a small amount of baking soda to help remove stubborn stains.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pctharper
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
pctharper
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • Vicks