1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Seasoning stone fast

1. Hi all -- I'm a brand new consultant, and just found this web site. I want to season my stone quickly. Can I just spread oil on it and stick it in the oven without food -- the way you do a cast iron skillet? Does anyone have any other good tricks for seasoning it quickly (other than cresant rolls)? Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2006
  2. mminikus

mminikus Member

If you don't have time to cook a high fat food like crecent rolls, just spray it with cooking oil put your food on the stone and cook.

Mar 4, 2006
  3. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

I'm not sure I would go with that method. It is worth it to do the crescent rolls because with the vegetable oil you tend to get a sticky film on your stone.

I would just buy the cheapest tube of crescent rolls and cover the entire cooking surface of your stone, bake for the recommended time then serve the crescents to the kids or put jelly on them and have a snack.

Mar 4, 2006
  4. agw

agw Member Gold Member

I "painted" all of my stoneware with a solid fat like shortening or coconut oil before every use at least 5x. By the fifth time, the stone acted nicely seasoned. The coating was VERY thin since I used the Pastry Brush to apply a very spare coating, but it was highly effective. :)

Mar 4, 2006
  5. pamperedbecky

pamperedbecky Legacy Member

I wouldn't put it in the oven with no food on it. You really need to cover 2/3rds of the stone with food to avoid any kind of cracking or breaking. At least that's what I've heard. Good luck! And congrats on starting such an awesome business!! :D

6. if it's got a lip like the bar pan, cooking bacon is a good one...
    -h

7. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

I just spritz the stone with oil the first several times I use it. Foods do not stick! After a while when it's very smooth to the touch you don't even really need to add the oil with most recipes. I ALWAYS oil the pans with lots of edges like the stoneware fluted pan and the mini-fluted pan.

Do not use commercial spray oils! Those cause a sticky film on your stones or cookware. If you don't have a kitchen spritzer then just put a few drops of oil on and use either a pastry brush or a piece of paper towel to spread a thin layer of oil on.

Mar 5, 2006
  8. LindaK

LindaK Member

I've heard that leaving a baking stone in the oven on the bottom rack (even if you are cooking on something else above) will help the temp of the oven stay even.

I heard that on a cooking show and it wasn't specifically about PC stones.

Mar 5, 2006
  9. pamperedbecky

pamperedbecky Legacy Member

I know people who always leave their stones in the oven too, but I've also heard of some cracking....probably because it didn't have food covering 2/3rds of the surface. :(

10. I Have the Tools

I Have the Tools Member

When I first started using stones over 14 years ago, I kept one in my oven. Still have the same stones, no problem with any of them breaking.

They're well seasoned now, so they have a new parking place while not in use.

The biggest problem that I could forsee leaving it in the oven is that if it is warm and you put something cold on it, that wouldn't be good.

Kris

Have something to add?