• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seasoning a Muffin Stone: Tips for Better Results and Non-Stick Cooking

The muffin stone is just like any other pan - you need to season it the same way. You can do that by adding some salt to the mix.
pctharper
Gold Member
How do you season a muffin stone? I dont like the look of new stoneware. Its too pale and feels weird. Any tips?

Also, whats best for making sure things don't stick to it until you get it seasoned?

Pan-eeze: 1 part oil, 1 part crisco, 1 part flour. Mix together and keep in fridge. I use this every time I use the fluted or muffin stone. Other than that, there is a way some people season their stones, but I don't recall the recipe off the top of my head...I'd need to search it on here. But it involves salt in the mix somewhere.I just use the pan-eeze when I use those stones and things come out beautifully. The stone will season as you use it, though, so in the future you might just need a spritz of oil. But Pan-eeze is good for recipes that tell you to grease and flour the pan.

I like to make egg muffins in mine. I use tator tots and that helps with the seasoning since those are a little bit grease.

ilovpc said:
I like to make egg muffins in mine. I use tator tots and that helps with the seasoning since those are a little bit grease.

Can you tell me how you do these? I'm intrigued :)

I seasoned the muffin pan the same way I do all my stones. By using them. There is no need to do anything special to them. The first few times I put a little oil on the stone. Then once the stone is feeling smooth vs scratchy I stop adding any oil with the exception of when I'm making cakes, muffins and such. I do continue adding oil to them to make sure cakes, etc don't stick. I never use commercial sprays. Just our spritzer or a little oil with the pastry brush.A trick to season a new stone quickly is to make things that have a higher fat content in them the first time or two you use it. Things like crescent rolls, meatloaf...

1PamperedMommy said:
Can you tell me how you do these? I'm intrigued :)

It's a very easy recipe. I first put 2 or 3 tator tots in each muffin well (no liners :D) then I add chopped ham and pieces of cheese or grated cheese and last I add the eggs which I beat in the Classic Batter Bowl and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then you put them in the oven and cook for about 20-25 min. :chef:

ilovpc said:
It's a very easy recipe. I first put 2 or 3 tator tots in each muffin well (no liners :D) then I add chopped ham and pieces of cheese or grated cheese and last I add the eggs which I beat in the Classic Batter Bowl and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then you put them in the oven and cook for about 20-25 min. :chef:

You could also "beat" the eggs in the MFP...

pctharper said:
How do you season a muffin stone? I dont like the look of new stoneware. Its too pale and feels weird. Any tips?

Also, whats best for making sure things don't stick to it until you get it seasoned?

Bake some meatloaf to start the seasoning process the just pop them in the freezer - works great

In the fluted stone, I make a mexican casserole with ground beef on the bottom and corn bread on top. This is a PC recipe, but I can't remember the name of it right now. For the muffin stone, I made meatballs a lot in the beginning. They are both so seasoned now, things come right out. (I still like to run a butter knife around the edge sometimes or around the center of the fluted pan)

I have a recipe on my PWS that you can use to season a stone a bit quicker. I know I found it here, but it's in the news on my site.

/jsuprise

I know these special recipes to season probably work and maybe faster than just using it but I have had customers tell me they don't want a stone because it's so much work. When I ask why they say because you have to season it special, wash it special... If we tall them we have to make up a special concoction for the stone it may make some people decide not to bother.I tell people: you will love how easy these are to use. Just add a little oil to the pan the first few times you use it and once it's smooth to the touch you don't even have to do that - so healthier cooking! Cleaning is super easy too. Let it cool then soak for a couple minutes in hot water. Use your kitchen brush to scrape away any remaining crumbs of food, rinse and dry. I do add a disclaimer that if I am using a pan with lots of edges like the fluted pan for a cake or muffins I do continue adding a little oil.

BethCooks4U said:
I know these special recipes to season probably work and maybe faster than just using it but I have had customers tell me they don't want a stone because it's so much work. When I ask why they say because you have to season it special, wash it special... If we tall them we have to make up a special concoction for the stone it may make some people decide not to bother.

I tell people: you will love how easy these are to use. Just add a little oil to the pan the first few times you use it and once it's smooth to the touch you don't even have to do that - so healthier cooking! Cleaning is super easy too. Let it cool then soak for a couple minutes in hot water. Use your kitchen brush to scrape away any remaining crumbs of food, rinse and dry. I do add a disclaimer that if I am using a pan with lots of edges like the fluted pan for a cake or muffins I do continue adding a little oil.

I totally agree! I tell them all this as well. I only tell them about the meatballs and meatloaf if they want additional uses for their stones besides baked goods and/or to "speed up the process" just a little. :)

chefliz said:
I totally agree! I tell them all this as well. I only tell them about the meatballs and meatloaf if they want additional uses for their stones besides baked goods and/or to "speed up the process" just a little. :)

Oh, yeah. I also let them know that cooking fatty foods will season the stones quicker too but I do stress the healthy cooking aspect of the stones...

I agree that you don't have to use a special concoction, but some people are willing to do it once at the beginning to jump-start the process. That's why I have the recipe on my PWS. It does work because I've tried it though I don't mind just using my stones to season them. I don't even mention the recipe unless someone asks. It never hurts to let people know there are options out there.

lt1jane said:
I agree that you don't have to use a special concoction, but some people are willing to do it once at the beginning to jump-start the process. That's why I have the recipe on my PWS. It does work because I've tried it though I don't mind just using my stones to season them. I don't even mention the recipe unless someone asks. It never hurts to let people know there are options out there.

I totally agree. My issue is that some people think this is necessary. If someone would ask me how to season it quickly I'd get them the recipe. I just want them to know how simple it is to use them. I guess I've had just enough people raise the objection that it's a lot of work to use stones that I want new consultants who read this thread to know they have the option of not doing anything special to season and use their stones.

I haven't done anything special to any of my other stones. My DCB is becoming very seasoned! As well as my bar pan. My round stone is so so, but probably because I only ever do pizza on it. I was just at a complete loss with the muffin stone. Just doing muffins in it just didn't seem like it would do it very well!

I might try the quick seasoning process just to get a jump start, but doing meatballs/meatloaf sounds good too! I could always use some meatballs in the freezer!

Hello, could anybody give me some recipes for first times using stoneware muffin pan? Thanks!

Take your favorite meatloaf recipe and just divide the meat among all the cups. Don't fill it to the top as this could case a big grease mess!

What is the best way to season a muffin stone?

The best way to season a muffin stone is to first preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, lightly coat the surface of the stone with a neutral oil such as vegetable or canola oil. Place the stone in the oven for 10-15 minutes. After removing the stone from the oven, wipe off any excess oil with a paper towel and allow it to cool before using.

Do I need to season a new muffin stone?

It is recommended to season a new muffin stone before using it for the first time. This will help create a non-stick surface and prevent any sticking or burning of your muffins. After the initial seasoning, you will only need to lightly oil the stone before each use.

Can I use butter or cooking spray to season my muffin stone?

No, it is not recommended to use butter or cooking spray to season your muffin stone. Butter can burn and create a sticky residue, while cooking spray can leave a film on the stone. It is best to use a neutral oil for seasoning.

How often should I season my muffin stone?

It is recommended to season your muffin stone before each use. This will help maintain a non-stick surface and prevent any sticking or burning of your muffins. You may also need to re-season your stone if you notice any sticking or discoloration.

Can I use my seasoned muffin stone for other baked goods?

Yes, you can use your seasoned muffin stone for other baked goods such as cookies, bread, or even pizza. Just be sure to lightly oil the surface before each use to maintain the non-stick surface. It is not recommended to use the stone for foods with strong flavors or odors, as it may affect the taste of your baked goods.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JackieB999
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
BettieC
  • sfdavis918
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies