• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seasoning Tips for a Perfectly Prepped Flat Stone for Your Party Tomorrow

In summary, the best recipe to make for a "decent feel" on your new stone is to use the seasoning recipe from Carey's website.
babywings76
Gold Member
I want to make something today on my large round stone w/ handles so it won't be entirely brand spankin' new at my party tomorrow.

What's a really good recipe to make? I normally wouldn't do anything special, just go ahead and use it for whatever and brush it w/ oil first. But for tomorrow, I'd like it to have a decent "feel" to it. Would the best thing be to make a giant sugar cookie or something?

A giant sugar cookie sounds fun

I have this on my website for people that want to season their stones FAST!

Don't want to wait for your new stone to be non-stick and "seasoned"? Here is what you can do if you want to hurry the process along:

Seasoning Stoneware

You'll need:

1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup salt

Mix Crisco and salt. Spread over surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware.
(This is enough to do the Stoneware Fluted Pan. You may have mixture left over.)
Bake in a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes. (You can put a piece of foil on the rack
below the one your stoneware is on.) Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool
with the melty goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or
silicone brush and smear it all around, making some attempt to contact every part
of the surface. The salt rubs on it and smoothes it just a little.
Pop it back in the oven. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, and
leave the stoneware in overnight. This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone.
(Bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it out, let it cool, and rinse it off.)
The next morning, rinse/scrape under hot water and tada! Nonstick stoneware! It
works wonders for new stones.

Why does it work?

The salt acts as a sandpaper - the "grit" is activated when you
rub it around. And, unlike sand or sandpaper, salt rinses out/melts away under hot
water. The smoother surface and the heat/oil saturation, make each work together
to season the stones.

Interesting note: This works well on cast iron, too.

Thanks Carey--I've done that before on other stones, but was hesitant to do it on a flat one though. Doesn't it run off the edges?

Don't know, I've never even tried it, but it does say put the foil in the bottom of the oven, maybe that is why they say that? You could do some grands biscuits on it, or pizza, as long as it's greasy it should help!

FRENCH FRIES!!!

Though I like that recipe and will be doing that today. I want to just get it seasoned quickly.

I was thinking of a taco ring but that wouldn't touch the whole surface. My last stone was BARELY seasoned and I'd like to cook something at the same time that I WON'T throw away, preferably dinner.The Taffy Apple Pizza is an idea ... but I don't want to do a cookie first hand because it's not greasy enough, IMHO, and would stick to the stone if using for the first time.

I did the crisco recipe (and liked it so much it's now a news item on my website). i did not use foil on the rack underneath and ended up cleaning my oven. A consequence I was prepared to do knowing i was seasoning a flat stone. For my pizza stone I cut the recipe in half.

It seems to me it could be a fire hazard without the foil underneath, because if the hot crisco (hot oil really) drips onto the element, I would imagine it would burn.

frenchfries works well.. so I second that one.. and if you get the ones that are pre-seasoned or tater tots.. any of them that have a higher fat content.. they season a stone really well! I will have to try the crisco and salt idea... love the fact that I've been selling for over 11 years and I can still come here and learn new things! lol :)

Dang it ... tots were on sale this weekend and I didn't get them. However, I agree that things like that season a stone well. My small bar pan is getting nicely seasoned and that's because I've often used it for chicken nuggets and things like that.

I considered the crisco thing and rejected it b/c something dripped on the bottom of my oven and it was super smoky in my house. Didn't have the official cleaner and didn't want to put chemicals in it anyway. I just put plain water on paper towels and wiped, wiped, wiped. Problem solved a couple of hours later when I made my pizza.

1. How often should I season my flat stone?

It is recommended to season your flat stone before the first use and then after every 3-4 uses to maintain its non-stick surface.

2. What type of oil should I use to season my flat stone?

It is best to use a high smoke point oil such as canola, vegetable, or grapeseed oil for seasoning your flat stone.

3. How do I season my flat stone?

Clean your flat stone with hot water and a mild soap, rinse and dry thoroughly. Then, spread a thin layer of oil over the entire surface of the stone using a paper towel. Place the stone in a cold oven and heat to 400°F for one hour. Turn off the oven and let the stone cool down completely before removing.

4. Can I use my flat stone without seasoning it?

While it is not recommended, you can use your flat stone without seasoning it. However, the food may stick and it will not have the same non-stick properties as a seasoned stone.

5. How do I clean a seasoned flat stone?

After each use, allow the stone to cool completely and then scrape off any excess food with a scraper. Rinse with hot water and a mild soap, using a nylon brush if needed. Do not soak the stone or use harsh chemicals as this can damage the seasoning. Dry completely before storing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
BettieC
  • dancedivine
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Michelle817
  • Gypsy Rose
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies