• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do I Need to Season My New Rectangular Stone Before Making Lasagna?

In summary, the first thing you made in your rectangular stone was lasagna. If you're making a dip, you don't need to season it first.
its_me_susan
I'm expecting my rectangular stone any day now ~ and want to make a lasagna... do I need to season it first or will it be ok? What was the 1st thing you made in your rectangular stone?

Also, I want to make an artichoke dip in my new mini-baker... do I need to season that too?

Thanks ladies!

Last edited:
To Season or not to SeasonSusan,

I would recommend oiling both stones before you use them as they are brand new. If you try to do your lasagna without oiling your stone the bottom layer of noodles will stick. The dip may be fine depending on how much fat is in the dip.

Remember that you always want to cook high fat items in your stones first, such as Peanut Butter cookies, meat loaf, bacon etc. But if you aren't cooking high fat items just oil them prior to use! Saves you time and heartache!

Well...The first thing I tried in my Rectangle Baker was lasagna. I did not season the stone first. However, I put a thin layer of sauce down before I start on the noodles (that's a tip I got from the Food Network. They said it will help the lasagna come out in one piece). I didn't have a problem. The cheese on top will cook to the sides, but cheese is fatty and I didn't have a problem cleaning it off.

Honestly, I don't really go out of my way to season my stones first. My flat stones I start with cookies, but my stones with sides e.g. Square Baker, Mini-Baker, or Rectangle Baker I just use it. What helps my Bar stones is I make bacon in them.

fruit76loop said:
Susan,

I would recommend oiling both stones before you use them as they are brand new. If you try to do your lasagna without oiling your stone the bottom layer of noodles will stick. The dip may be fine depending on how much fat is in the dip.

Remember that you always want to cook high fat items in your stones first, such as Peanut Butter cookies, meat loaf, bacon etc. But if you aren't cooking high fat items just oil them prior to use! Saves you time and heartache!

Thanks Marlene! As it turns out I'm not getting it any time soon. :( I had it submitted as a second 4th month kit enhancement order (I thought the only restriction was max $500 - had no idea I could only send in one order). But I will get it possibly in April. :)

What's the maximum oven temperature for these stones?

Chef Kearns said:
The first thing I tried in my Rectangle Baker was lasagna. I did not season the stone first. However, I put a thin layer of sauce down before I start on the noodles (that's a tip I got from the Food Network. They said it will help the lasagna come out in one piece). I didn't have a problem. The cheese on top will cook to the sides, but cheese is fatty and I didn't have a problem cleaning it off.

Honestly, I don't really go out of my way to season my stones first. My flat stones I start with cookies, but my stones with sides e.g. Square Baker, Mini-Baker, or Rectangle Baker I just use it. What helps my Bar stones is I make bacon in them.

Did the sauce stain the stone?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!

I love the rectangular baker for lasagne. I did season mine with a little olive oil the first time. The lasagne comes out perfect. When you cut the lasagne into squares to serve, the composition is wonderful. It isn't runny or gooey, and it has a great texture. I love this product more than my stainless steel lasagne pan from Wm Sonoma.

I think the information about the temperature range for stoneware may be stated in the product list in Consultants' Corner.

StainingNo, Susan I did not have an issue with staining. Good luck. I'm sure you will love it in April!

I spoke with the Test Kitchens and they actually now recommend that you oil/prepare any stone with sides (bakers) before you use them if you want a clean release.

I suppose you need to do this less and less over time, but I would definitely do it at the beginning.

Incidentally, the first thing I made in my mini baker was the hot artichoke dip and I did not oil it first. Between the mayo and sour cream I figured there would be plenty of fat in there. It was fine. If I was doing something like a German Apple Pancake in there, I would oil it, though, as a clean release would be more important for something like that.

Thank you ladies! I actually filled my new mini-baker with the artichoke dip, and also the small casserole baker (from start up kit ~ for those arriving a little later... this dip goes FAST!).

I may have to buy that baker with the host credit I earn from my next open house! I want it!!!!

I did not season my baker before making lasgna in it and was surprised how clean it lifted out. No sticking, no hard noodles on the bottom, nothing. It was great.

I too spoon a small layer of sauce under my first layer of noodles.

Sk8Mom209 said:
I did not season my baker before making lasgna in it and was surprised how clean it lifted out. No sticking, no hard noodles on the bottom, nothing. It was great.

I too spoon a small layer of sauce under my first layer of noodles.

That's great to hear! Thank you for posting. :)

1. What is the best seasoning to use for lasagna?

The best seasoning to use for lasagna is a combination of Italian herbs such as oregano, basil, and thyme. You can also add in some garlic powder and onion powder for extra flavor.

2. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried for lasagna?

Yes, you can use fresh herbs in your lasagna. Just keep in mind that fresh herbs have a stronger flavor than dried herbs, so you may need to adjust the amount you use.

3. How much seasoning should I add to my lasagna?

The amount of seasoning you add to your lasagna will depend on your personal taste. It is recommended to start with 1-2 teaspoons of seasoning and adjust from there based on your preferences.

4. Can I use store-bought seasoning for my lasagna?

Yes, you can use store-bought seasoning for your lasagna. However, homemade seasoning blends tend to have a fresher and more robust flavor.

5. When should I add the seasoning to my lasagna?

You should add the seasoning to your lasagna when you are layering the ingredients. This will ensure that the seasoning is evenly distributed throughout the dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • sfdavis918
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
CHEFINGREEN
Replies