• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What causes scratching on metal baking sheets?

In summary, the metal baking pan is doing something weird that is causing the silver coating to flake off.
mrshamel3808
Gold Member
A while back I had a customer have me process an adjustment on a metal baking sheet that seemed like the silver coating was scratched/flaking off. The processed the exchange just fine and over the past 6 mo. or so I've noticed this happening on one of mine. I know I can probably do an adjustment but I was wondering if anyone knows what causes this? We don't have a dishwasher so it's only been washed by hand, it's stored without anything on top of it (it's the small baking sheet), and it looks more like flaking rather than scratches from using anything metal on it. I can post pics if that would help...I just want to know how to keep it from happening on my others.

Mine are too! (But I use dish washer) I don't take to shows anymore either because of it.
:/

I am going to have to go and look at mine.

At my show this past Sunday, one lady was telling me the two sheet pans she bought last October are doing this and coiuld she exchange them. Then another guest chimed in that it's happened to all her metal bakeware (all PC), she's gone through the exchange and the new ones have done the same thing. She now uses parchment paper on them every time she uses them and is very dissatisfied with the metal products. I don't know why this happens and would really like an answer to forward along (other than the manufacturer is doing a crappy job of making them and soon they'll go the way of the ice cream dipper!).

I was told by PC that some darkening of the pans is "normal" , but when I said my friend had cooked chicken nuggets first time for her grandson using her pans and then washed them, during washing the top layer of the pan literally flaked away and she freaked out and called me and stopped washing rinsed pan and left it for me to see and I sent it right back and 2nd and 3rd pan did same thing, something is wrong with the pans.....well something things are not meant to be baked or cooked on these pans? WHAT?? If so, then why does it not say that?? And why can't you cook a Chicken Nugget on a baking sheet??

I personally like our stones and hadn't tried the pans before my friends problem. Well I now only use metal pan to make the barks for making candy and you never really touch the pans with your food, lol. Oh well, I just don't like them. My personal opinion, but I have other customers who swear by them and LOVE them, only thing they'll use.

To each his own I guess.

I cook chicken breasts on mine...are they going to give us a list of food items we can't use them for?! That's ridiculous! I haven't been working my business for about a year so I haven't had too many customers purchase them lately but at least now I know when I get back into it I won't be pushing them too much (if they're even still around!)

I don't care for them either. If they are washed in the dishwasher they get this blackened look and black rubs off on everything. I sometimes even have this happen when they are washed by hand as well. I'm not sure what it is but it is like it tarnished.....weird! I prefer the stoneware but wanted to give them a try. I will probably pass them on to my kids.

Strange. I have had mine for awhile, almost since they came out, and I have had no problems. The smaller ones do often go in the dishwasher too. I use them for all sorts of things. Maybe it is another case where the newer batches are getting inferior quality by the manufacturer to sae themselves money. Remember, Pc doesnt manufacture them, so as quality issues are reported for replacement, they learn about them and hopefully look into it with the vendor as more are reported.

I really like my metal baking pans. I use them quite a bit and only hand wash them. I haven't noticed any tarnishing or flaking on them either and they are probably 2 months old. I just replaced all of my metal pans and cookie sheets that I have from Walmart with PC ones. I sure hope I don't start having these issues.

I have a customer that has two of the baking pans and they are both doing this. She loves the pans but they should not be doing what they are. I have had cake pans for years that haven't flaked off. I am going to do an adjustment on these as well. Another consultant has a square pan that a customer just gave her for a return that is doing the same thing. It has to be a defect in the manufacturer.

My large sheet pan is also showing signs of the aluminum coating coming off. I see black marks here and there all over it. It's a shame because other than that, they are extremely high quality and I really like them.

Before my show on Sunday my host showed me her pan and it was severely flaking. UGH!! Another return.

Great. I wish I had known this problem before selling a friend four pans and two pans to my mother-in-law.

So now do y'all warn party guests of this potential problem?

Last edited:
ChefPeg said:
Great. I wish I had known this problem before selling a friend four pans and two pan to my mother-in-law.So now do y'all warn party guests of this potential problem?
I'm undecided on that right now. Curious to hear others opinions. I need to call HO about my sheet pan and I think I'm going to e-mail test kitchens about it. Maybe if they know about it, they'll look into it a bit.(By the way, Peg, you need to remove your PC website link. Keep the FB one, but it's against PC policy to link to your Personal Web Site from any blog, forum, or website other than a social networking profile page. ;) You can edit it to be like this though: /peggymccormack--just take out the www.pcbiz part)

Last edited:
babywings76 said:
I'm undecided on that right now. Curious to hear others opinions. I need to call HO about my sheet pan and I think I'm going to e-mail test kitchens about it. Maybe if they know about it, they'll look into it a bit.

(By the way, Peg, you need to remove your PC website link. Keep the FB one, but it's against PC policy to link to your Personal Web Site from any blog, forum, or website other than a social networking profile page. ;) You can edit it to be like this though: /peggymccormack--just take out the www.pcbiz part)

Thank you. Some of PC's policies seem counter-productive, but I'll do it.

1. How can I prevent my metal baking sheet from getting scratched?

To prevent scratching on your metal baking sheet, be sure to use non-metal utensils, such as silicone or wooden spatulas, when removing food from the sheet. You can also line the sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to provide a protective barrier.

2. Can I still use my scratched metal baking sheet?

Minor scratches on your metal baking sheet should not affect its performance. However, if the scratches are deep or cover a large portion of the sheet, it is best to replace it to ensure even baking and avoid potential safety hazards.

3. How do I clean a scratched metal baking sheet?

To clean a scratched metal baking sheet, use a non-abrasive scrubbing pad and mild dish soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or steel wool, as these can further damage the sheet. For tough, baked-on stains, create a paste using baking soda and water and let it sit on the sheet for a few minutes before scrubbing.

4. Can I use metal utensils on my metal baking sheet?

It is not recommended to use metal utensils on a metal baking sheet, as this can cause scratches and damage to the sheet. Stick to using non-metal utensils to prolong the life of your baking sheet.

5. How do I store my metal baking sheet to prevent scratches?

To prevent scratches when storing your metal baking sheet, stack it with other baking sheets or place a piece of parchment paper in between each sheet to act as a barrier. You can also store it in a separate cabinet or drawer to avoid it coming into contact with other metal objects.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kewaters
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kewaters
  • tabnat80
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Michelle817