• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Alerting You to a Scam Attempt I Experienced

In summary, the woman sent an email asking for help to order a wedding gift for her sister. The woman supplied the woman's address, phone number, and credit card information. The woman said her husband would send the check. The woman contacted the state police. The woman is out money because the check bounced.
pattikake
Wanted to alert you all to what happened to me this week.

I woke up Sunday morning to an email from a woman wanting to place an order for a wedding gift for her sister. The order came to $468. I was like, awesome -- although I was hesitant as well, as I had never heard of this woman. (I had met a lady 2 days earlier who took my catalog saying her niece was getting married soon ... so wondered if it was her).

I emailed back saying I would be happy to help her and gave her the total for her order. Told her I needed a shipping address, phone # and a credit card to complete the order. She supplied the address & phone # and said she would be sending a bank check. Then she said her husband would send the check as she was vacationing in Aruba (now I'm really starting to get suspicious) .. Today I got an email from her saying the check will be mailed tomorrow via UPS and that her husband made the check out for $4,450, and for me to take what is owed for the products, plus $70 for my time, then for me to send the rest to her sister so she can buy a wedding gown.

I contacted our state police, who said to refuse the check if she sends it and to let her know that I've contacted them.

Just wanted to let you all know -- as she got my name from somewhere 'out there' and I'm sure she'll get more.

WOW.... thanks for the heads up.

You should forward that to Home Office (or call and talk to Career Solutions). This happened to a couple of other consultants recently too.

I have had the happen to me too. I got that same email today. OMG I M SO FREAKED OUT!!!

pamperedlinda said:
You should forward that to Home Office (or call and talk to Career Solutions). This happened to a couple of other consultants recently too.

I completely agree with this. They need to know what is going on..so that they can warn other consultants.

Wow!!! That's insane! I definitely think you should let the home office know so they can get the word out so other consultants don't get scammed.

Thank you so much for giving us all the heads up!

Amazing...I get those types of things from Craigslist, but I never imagined they'd come through our PC business

I just contacted my local police, forwarded the emails, and I am contacting the legal department at HO.

I have gotten the same emails as has someone else from the same person, vanessa marks is the persons name........ Why is someone spending so much time to be so mean to someone?????

ritabenson said:
I have gotten the same emails as has someone else from the same person, vanessa marks is the persons name........ Why is someone spending so much time to be so mean to someone?????

Because..honestly..unfortunately..sometimes some people do fall for it. So..if they spend the time sending out emails..eventually..they will probably find someone who will fall for it..and they will make money off of them. And most of the time..it is so hard to track them.

Same reason why people hijack FB accounts and post that someone was mugged and robbed in a foreign country..and ask people to help them. They prey off of the good hearted people.

ritabenson said:

It's theft, fraud and money laundering. They profit from it, and they'll keep doing it as long as they can. Once the scam stops working, they'll come up with a new one.

I got the same emails and just talked to the Solution Center. Definitely forward them to PC. I really, really hope no one gets screwed by this!

My question is how did they find us? From here or facebook!!!

StacieB said:

Either is possible. I haven't gotten an email (yet), and I do have my email address on my FB page.

I've heard of these scams before but had NO clue how they work. So they send you this cheque...you cash it, keep the money for the products and the $70 for your 'time' and send the rest for the wedding dress...ya right ;). How are you out money? The cheque bounces obviously is that it? So then the bank takes back the money from you that you now don't have and 'the thieves' have 'made' the difference...hey! I think I just figured it out...:D LOL

kcjodih said:
I've heard of these scams before but had NO clue how they work. So they send you this cheque...you cash it, keep the money for the products and the $70 for your 'time' and send the rest for the wedding dress...ya right ;). How are you out money? The cheque bounces obviously is that it? So then the bank takes back the money from you that you now don't have and 'the thieves' have 'made' the difference...hey! I think I just figured it out...:D LOL

Yes..you did figure it out..that is exactly how it works.

kcjodih said:

Don't you just love thinking out loud? It makes such a huge difference! ;)

I had something similar. Lately, I have had a lot of phone calls about "making money from home". They even told me that they got my phone number from my business website!

Did you see they had an alert on last week's Newswire about this:

NOTICES

E-mail Scam Prevention

We want to alert you to an e-mail scam recently brought to our attention. The scam involves someone who offers to place a Pampered Chef® order and then sends a check or money order much larger than the initial order. The scammer states it was an error and asks you to refund the difference. Please do not respond to any e-mail of this nature. Report it to your e-mail provider by marking it as junk mail. Then, delete it from your inbox.

I received a HO lead today that is clearly a scam... so beware. Asking for a lot of high priced products but not knowing the prices of them. Saying they can't pay with a CC but will send me a cashier check. The wording and syntax of the sentences was weird as well. The name on the email address and the signature were completely different.

I did, response was not encouraging but I let them know. i did not want the lead system bombared with this junk

Just got the same exact scam email! Forwarded to home office and called them as well. Just want to make sure I qualify for another lead.

It's the same "principle" as the "Nigerian scam letters" etc. It's really sad... We are just much too smart for that. Hopefully they will only "hit" experienced consultants who don't get so excited about a large order and fall for this scam!

They do this with fake cashier's checks. I had someone try to do the same thing when I worked for mark. by Avon.

StacieB said:

I'm wondering if it's because of the new lead system. They can see 5 or 6 of us at a time.....let's go back to the old way.

monicag said:
I'm wondering if it's because of the new lead system. They can see 5 or 6 of us at a time.....let's go back to the old way.

That's what I'd be wondering too.

I had this happen to two people in my line - I told them not to respond to it and to let Home Office know - you DO NOT want to respond or do what they say - this is an absolute scam. Send the e-mails you get to the Home Office Legal Department and let them know what is happening as they will look into it. It's a darn shame that people do this to innocent people - but we aren't in Kansas anymore - we are in a technology based world and anything is possible today so always keep your guard up.

**** You guys are responding to a thread started in April 2011 ***

;)

Sheila said:
**** You guys are responding to a thread started in April 2011 ***

;)

True Sheila, but it's still a relevant problem...I got this scam email LAST WEEK! Yikes!

I've had 3 in the last 2 months

This thread may be from 2011, but there is another thread from this year with the exact same issues.

Actually I think it's an even more wide-spread issue this time around. Way more people seem to be getting the emails. I do believe it's the new way they are connecting the public to consultants. [I refuse to call it a lead system. There's nothing lead or system about it.]

I'm just real curious how they are getting the email addresses in the first place! I seriously doubt that someone is sitting there doing consultant searches for them. It's too wide-spread. I have a brand new consultant on my team who got one today. She signed less than a month ago and has not submitted a show yet, she does have a PWS...but she should not be searchable yet...right? You can't be searchable in the 'find a consultant' unless you submit $1250 the previous month, right?? I did a search in her area and she did not come up. I have a call in to Career Solutions to talk to them about it, I'm very curious! Has something been hacked?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• baychef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Beaglemom49779
  • mspibb