• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Beware of Personal Check Overpayment Scam

In summary, people are being contacted by scammers who try to convince them to overpay for an order with a personal check. The best way to avoid this is to only accept checks at shows.
Chef Bobby
Gold Member
An email sent from my Director said to be aware of someone placing an order and over paying with a personal (worthless) check. When you inform about the over payment they ask for a refund for the difference.

I got one too and it was in thie week's PC Newswire

Where are those coming from? Shows? or What? I never let a person over pay on a check. Although it does not protect me from a worthless check, it keeps me from loosing more money. I had heard about this a few years back but it must be gaining momentum again with the economy the way it is.

pampered1224 said:
Where are those coming from? Shows? or What? I never let a person over pay on a check. Although it does not protect me from a worthless check, it keeps me from loosing more money. I had heard about this a few years back but it must be gaining momentum again with the economy the way it is.

When someone had mentioned this awhile back, I think it came through their website or the Lead System.

Um. Yeah I could see where that could be an issue. But how is an order being placed without a cleared check in the first place and why would you not question it if the amount were so off from the order amount before even considering "banking" it?

Who knows.....Some of these scams sound so far-fetched anyway, but people STILL fall for it!

I'm betting these are Nigerian scammers. This is exactly the kind of stuff they do.
I have a friend who was trying to sell a boat on Craig's List; he was contacted by a guy who said he was sending a cashier's check and to refund the difference. Well my friend didn't fall for it, but he contacted LE and they said it's a classic Nigerian scam.

Maybe we should reply to the scammer with "You know, we are ON TO YOU so cut it out. Tell your friends!"

I got one through the lead system. I emailed back saying that I knew it was a scam and to stop contacting us. never heard back after that

I only accept checks at shows, anything else they must be cash or CC. I was contacted by someone and told them this and they did not place an order. c'est la vie.

1. What is the personal check overpayment scam?

The personal check overpayment scam is a fraudulent scheme where the scammer sends a personal check for more than the agreed upon amount for a product or service, and then asks the recipient to wire back the extra funds. However, the check is fake and the recipient ends up losing the wired money.

2. How does the personal check overpayment scam work?

The scammer typically targets individuals or businesses selling items online. They will contact the seller, agree to purchase the item, and then send a personal check for an amount that is significantly more than the agreed upon price. They will then ask the seller to wire back the extra funds, claiming it was a mistake or for other reasons. Once the seller wires the money, the fake check will bounce and the seller will lose the wired funds.

3. How can I protect myself from this scam?

To protect yourself from this scam, it is important to be cautious when dealing with individuals you do not know. Do not accept personal checks for more than the agreed upon amount, and never wire funds back to the sender. If a buyer insists on overpaying and asks for a refund, it is likely a scam and you should not proceed with the transaction.

4. What should I do if I suspect I am a victim of this scam?

If you suspect that you have been targeted by this scam, do not wire any money back to the sender. Contact your bank immediately and report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). You can also file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).

5. Can I get my money back if I fall victim to this scam?

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you will be able to recover any funds lost to this scam. The best course of action is to report the incident to the necessary authorities and be cautious in the future when dealing with unknown individuals or businesses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Eftilly
  • Ginger428
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • Shawnna