• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is a Big Change Jar the Secret to Saving Money?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a large change jar to save up money for various purposes. Different methods of collecting change, such as dumping loose change into a jar or piggy bank, are mentioned. Some individuals have strict rules about not spending change and using it for larger purchases. The conversation also touches on the idea of using small bills for savings and avoiding ATM fees. Lastly, the conversation includes the use of a jar to save up for a Disney trip, with the help of children decorating it with stickers.
byrd1956
Gold Member
Actually we have a big change jar. Every time we get change from dollars we put it in the jar. We have had several hundred dollars before when we counted. Definitely came in handy. We have used it for an unplanned bill and taken it on vacation.

The jar is classic. I hate change in my pocket, so I always dump loose change into a big plastic cup. I've been to a few friends houses where they are filling a gigantic jug!

And it works! My Mom & her hubby made a rule once that they couldn't spend change. Even if they were shopping & it came up to $__.01, they couldn't hand the cashier a penny, they had to let her give change. At the end of the day, they would dump their change into this HUGE freaking plastic water bottle (the type that goes upside down on commercial water dispensers). At the end of the year, they had enough to buy 2 recliners for their living room! Over $800!!!

When Hubby's here (not in Japan) he's good about dumping his change into the kids piggy banks. Then I'm pretty good about going there for change for the car wash ... when I take out a $1 in quarters, I put a $1 bill in an envelope with their name on the front. We've also let them dump out the piggy banks, take their change to the bank & drop it in the coin counter. They think that's so much fun! Then they get to take their bills & go shop for toys. For ages 3 & 5, that's a HUGE treat! ;)

I do that with change and sometimes with bills - if I have a few ones or even a $5 in my purse I'll throw it in the jar. My jar would be more full if DH would quit digging into it to get pop at work!

wadesgirl said:
I do that with change and sometimes with bills - if I have a few ones or even a $5 in my purse I'll throw it in the jar. My jar would be more full if DH would quit digging into it to get pop at work!

Bills work as long as you don't get hit with ATM fees trying to get more money :)

Admin Greg said:
Bills work as long as you don't get hit with ATM fees trying to get more money :)

I usually don't take the money out of ATM's. I'll grab some cash when I need it after using my debit card at checkout. Or if a guest pays in cash, I will pocket the $1 bills.

wadesgirl said:
I usually don't take the money out of ATM's. I'll grab some cash when I need it after using my debit card at checkout. Or if a guest pays in cash, I will pocket the $1 bills.
Yeah I usually horde $1s for misc. Anything bigger I try to get into an account that earns interest. Gotta makes that money work for ya!

I got a jar for the kids and some Disney character stickers. They decorated the jar with the stickers, and that's our savings for a Disney trip. We don't have a lot of cash useage in the house, but when we do have some random coins or dollar bills, we'll throw them in there. And sometimes the boys put in some of their earned money in there, too.

What is a "Big Change Jar" and how does it help save money?

A "Big Change Jar" is a container, usually a large jar or piggy bank, where you can collect loose change and spare bills. It helps save money by providing a designated place to store loose change and prevents it from being spent on unnecessary items.

How much money can I expect to save with a "Big Change Jar"?

The amount of money you can save with a "Big Change Jar" depends on the size of the jar and how often you add spare change to it. Some people have reported saving hundreds of dollars over the course of a year.

What are some tips for maximizing savings with a "Big Change Jar"?

One tip is to add any spare change you receive as soon as possible, rather than letting it pile up. Another tip is to regularly exchange the change for bills and deposit it into a savings account. You can also set a specific goal for your change jar, such as saving for a vacation or emergency fund.

Can I only save spare change in a "Big Change Jar" or can I also save bills?

While the main purpose of a "Big Change Jar" is to save spare change, you can also choose to add bills to the jar. This can help increase your savings faster, but it's important to still have a designated place for bills, such as a savings account or envelope system.

Is there a recommended size for a "Big Change Jar"?

There is no specific recommended size for a "Big Change Jar", as it depends on your personal preference and how much spare change you typically accumulate. However, a larger jar will likely result in more savings over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • blueberrylady
  • General Chat
Replies