• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need to Reheat Saurerkraut Balls for Forgotten Broth?

In summary, the conversation revolves around making sauerkraut balls using a recipe passed down from the speaker's mother. They discuss the possibility of adding broth to the mixture after realizing it was left out, and the speaker ultimately decides to try it both ways and see which turns out better. They also mention the potential for jokes surrounding the name of the dish and the results of their first attempt at frying the balls.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Made this mixture last night. And just realized I left out the broth. I know it's a long shot that anyone here has even made them, let alone made the same mistake, but do I need to reheat this mixture just to add the broth and cool?

Title: Mom's Sauerkraut balls

Description:
I still have my mom's hand-written recipe for these. This is
most easily prepared using a food processor.

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. margerine or butter (1/2 a stick)
4 Tbsp. flour
1 package onion soup or 1 onion
1 1/2 C. cooked, chopped sausage, ground beef or leftover holiday
ham. (About 1 pound of browned sausage.)
1 clove garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups chopped kraut (a little less than one bag or can ... put
the rest in with your pork roast.)
1/2 C. beef broth or boullion
1 tsp. parsley (optional... I've made this sans parsley the last
two years and haven't noticed the difference)

Directions:
Saute first five ingredients. Add kraut, broth and parsley (if you
have it) then cook until it gets pasty and sticks together. Chill
overnight.

Shape into balls, roll in egg and milk mixture, then roll in mixture
of bread crumbs and flour. Deep fry until golden brown.

Number Of Servings:About 7 dozen a recipe ... I usually double this.

Preparation Time:Depends on various factors.

Last edited:
Never tried it..never even heard of them..BUT..I would like to try it sometime..that looks good..and I LOVE SAUERKRAUT!!

I hate sauerkraut but I love these. In my area they are required at every new year's eve party.I wish there was a hotline like they have for turkey cooking!

if you add the broth now the mixture will be really loose....you will have to cook it again to get it back into a paste.....

I know ... that's why I'm wondering if I should even bother and if they will hold together without it. I guess the best thing to do is just try it.

Intrepid_Chef said:
I know ... that's why I'm wondering if I should even bother and if they will hold together without it. I guess the best thing to do is just try it.

Personally..I would just try it the way that you have it now. But that is me.

I like saurerkraut but could NEVER serve these at my house. Too many "guy" jokes would be flying around with that name!! I'd never live it down.

Ha ha! Must be an ... East Coast thing!

i would just leave it as is....and cook them like this...who knows you might like it better :)

Well I made up just 2 and despite overheating the oil and burning them, Roomie said they were OK. I was looking for them to taste different so they did! I went ahead and heated it up and added the broth. I messed up on the recipe. It's supposed to be half a cup. So I added a cup because I doubled it. Some of it no doubt cooked away. But it looked and smelled like normal.

1. What are Saurerkraut Balls?

Saurerkraut Balls are a delicious appetizer made with sauerkraut, ground meat, and seasonings, coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried to crispy perfection.

2. How do I make Saurerkraut Balls?

To make Saurerkraut Balls, mix together sauerkraut, ground meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, and spices until well combined. Roll the mixture into small balls and coat in breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.

3. Can I use a different type of meat for Saurerkraut Balls?

Yes, you can use any ground meat of your choice, such as beef, pork, or turkey, for Saurerkraut Balls. You can also make them vegetarian by using a meat substitute like tofu or tempeh.

4. How should Saurerkraut Balls be served?

Saurerkraut Balls are typically served as an appetizer or party snack. They can be served hot or at room temperature, and are often accompanied by dipping sauces such as mustard or ranch dressing.

5. How should I store leftover Saurerkraut Balls?

Leftover Saurerkraut Balls should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be reheated in the oven or microwave for a quick and tasty snack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • magentablue
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies