• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sacrifices a Mom Will Make.....sigh (Long)

In summary, your son is going to the NHL award ceremony with his dad and they are having a great time.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Okay first a little background. We live 2 hours east of Toronto, Ontario Canada. My hubby doesn't listen to the local radio stations at all but prefers to listen to Sirius Satellite radio and hop around. Tuesday night my DH was driving my 10 yo DS to soccer while I took my 13 yo DD to Pathfinders. He was listening to a hocky program on Sirius and they had a skill testing question and were looking for the first two correct callers. He calls in (while driving I may add :mad: ) and totally freezes and can't remember the answer. Apologizes, hangs up and then drives a little more. It comes to him again...duh! and he calls back, gets through AGAIN, and this time gives his answer. He wins!

So he calls me all excited telling me what he won and that it's for Saturday night and did I want to go? He said he didn't know all the details but they would email him Wednesday sometime. HELLO? Of course I wanted to go!!!!!

The prize - 2 tickets to the 2008 NHL Hockey awards with an invite to play ball hockey with some of the players in the afternoon, a late afternoon ****tail party, red carpet at 5:45, live theatre awards presentation starting at 7 and an 'after party' from 10 - 2 am including dinner, beverages and live music. Shuttle buses from the TELEVISED award ceremony to the 'EXCLUSIVE' after party which is 15 minutes away. WOOHOO!!

THEN he says "our boy's a little sad, he really wants to go, but I explained it's only right to take mom since there's a party afterwards".

Well now what am I supposed to do? My DS is the one who lives, sleeps, breathes AND plays hockey all year round. His entire room is hockey theme related including jerseys, posters and tons of trophies. He's received MVP 3 times and has played since he was 4. My DH can't even skate and never was interested in hockey until my son started playing and insisting on watching it ALL the time.

So guess who gets to go? DH and DS of course! AND we get the email Wednesday around dinner time to find out that it's NOT Saturday night but Thursday night (tonight!) and it's black tie (stating ladies in floor length gowns or ****tail dresses) ! So he calls the dj who's name is on the email, inquires if it's appropriate for children (dj said you'd be nuts NOT to bring your son) and tells him sports jackets are okay just no casual, semi casual. Thank goodness monkey suits are not required LOL. So we spent 2 hours going through his closet, calling friends to get DS a really nice navy blazer and then running to the store to get new pants and shoes. He had a NHL tie with different team logos on it and two shirts and a belt but of course the pants and shoes wouldn't fit.

DH took the afternoon off work and all day tomorrow as well, pulled DS out of school and he'll be playing hookey tomorrow and off they went a little after noon today. He called me at 6:30 and said thank goodness they have assigned seating because he couldn't get DS in the building he was having too much fun on the red carpet gathering autographs! DS just called 1/2 hour ago to say he got tons of pictures and also one with him and the Stanley Cup (just like Colleen :) ) and he was now at the exclusive party (that took 8 buses to shuttle them all over) and was eating rice krispies and strawberries that he was dipping in both white and dark chocolate fountains!!

Oh man, I'm greeeeeeeeeen with jealousy! What a mother will do for her son! ..................and I could have been drooling.....I'm mean socializing/partying with the players too! Why oh WHY didn't I think of ME taking DS and DH staying home!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jodi, darling - admit it. It's not really a sacrifice when you know your son is enjoying it even more than you ever could. If you had gone, you'd spend the whole night feeling guilty (unless it was a total bore, then you'd be glad you 'sacrificed' so your son didn't have to suffer through it!).

I'm glad they're having so much fun, and God will bless you mightily for your 'sacrifice.'

Sarah

How fun! Your son will have those memories forever!

ahh, I am so jealous, I am a huge hockey fan ( used to live in Dallas)
Your DS will remember this night forever and even more so remember the sacrifice his wonderful mom made for him so he could go. I like the idea of you taking DS and DH staying home, darn, it's too late :(
That is what us moms do and the sacrafices we make for our kids :)
Way to go Jodi, you're a great mom :)

Your son will tell everyone how awesome you were to give him your ticket!

Buy him a special album and picture frames for his new treasures.

One of many ways (I'm sure) that show your unconditional love for your children. That feeling alone should help you get through your "green" time. You give us non-moms (currently) something to aspire to be when we are blessed with children.

Aww thanks ladies! I honestly wasn't looking for praise for doing what I did. I was just wanting to share what a lucky duck he was and how cool it would have been if I could have gone too!!!! However, now that I'm a happily married woman it wouldn't have been the same as it would have been say 16 years ago ;) To be mingling with the hockey players as a single gal oh what fun! To be mingling with my hubby by my side would have been nice as well but it's not as if I'd really know who most of them were any how without their jerseys on LOL

He just called to say he was tired and they had just left the party and were on their way home. DS said he had soooo much fun and tons of autographs, a couple pics and lots of neat stories and memories to keep (his words). They said they'd be stopping somewhere to grab a sandwich since they were starving. I guess except for the chocolate fountain/fruit DS didn't eat anything and DH didn't eat anything at all (since their McD's visit at 2 that is!). They said they couldn't identify the food at this shee shee poo poo restaurant except for tofu and sushi which neither were interested in :)

merego said:
ahh, I am so jealous, I am a huge hockey fan ( used to live in Dallas)
Your DS will remember this night forever and even more so remember the sacrifice his wonderful mom made for him so he could go. I like the idea of you taking DS and DH staying home, darn, it's too late :(
That is what us moms do and the sacrafices we make for our kids :)
Way to go Jodi, you're a great mom :)
Oh, so YOU'RE the one who stole our North Stars from us. GRrrrr

:p ;)

I think it's great that you let DS go! What an awesome father and son bonding experience, too! I agree that because he had such a fantastic time that it really wasn't that big of a sacrifice to make. He will remember this forever- and you will be remembered as the Mom that did the coolest thing by letting him go, when you wanted to! :)

What wonderful memories your son will have of this night!

too late now--but a friend of mine had won exclusive tickets to NASCAR having just one child-the sponser issued another ticket so they could all go--Boy was he lucky!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
Oh, so YOU'RE the one who stole our North Stars from us. GRrrrr

:p ;)

HA HA!!! sorry dear sis ;)

We love our stars in Dallas

okay, I must be hormonal -- b/c I teared up reading your post Jodi. Not b/c you're missing out (as Sarah said, you'd have felt too guilty to enjoy it, anyway) but just thinking about what a wonderful gift you gave your son. What a great memory to share with his dad. What a great memory (that he'll appreciate as he gets older) for him to have of you, going without so he could have this wonderful moment. You have shown him what a mother's love really is. Plus, on a practical note, now he has to be SOOOOO good for a while -- can't give mom a hard time after you did this for him -lol. Use it!!

Isn't it amazing what we wil do for our kids? What a great gift Jodi!

What are some common sacrifices that moms make?

Moms often sacrifice their own personal time and hobbies to take care of their children and families. They also sacrifice their sleep, their careers, and their social lives.

Why do moms make sacrifices?

Moms make sacrifices because they want to provide the best possible life for their children. They also have a strong natural instinct to protect and care for their families.

How do sacrifices affect moms?

Sacrifices can have a big impact on moms, both physically and emotionally. They may experience exhaustion, stress, and feelings of guilt or inadequacy. However, they also feel a deep sense of love and fulfillment from their sacrifices.

Are sacrifices always necessary for moms?

No, not all sacrifices are necessary for moms. It is important for moms to prioritize self-care and set boundaries to avoid burning out. It is also important for moms to have a support system and delegate tasks when possible.

What can we do to support moms who make sacrifices?

We can support moms by showing appreciation for all that they do, offering to help with tasks or childcare, and providing emotional support. It is also important to acknowledge and validate their sacrifices and remind them that they are doing an amazing job as a mom.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieSAChef
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperedDor
Replies