• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rude Messages From Online Activity?

In summary, this person got an anonymous email from someone on their personalized site that criticized their website for having mistakes in spelling.
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
Has anyone ever gotten rude messages from people that don't leave their name and number or the right email address for that matter...????? I did becasue some of my words were misspelled... I mean give me a break, do people really have time to sit and judge others??? I had to vent thanks

yikes!! Haven't had that one yet. Maybe they were in a bad mood? I used to get frustrated when the Corporate Company I worked for would put out memos that had words misspelled all over. Maybe something like that happened to her/him that day and it just all came pouring out?????? It could happen right?

I still think that's a little overboard, but hey--whatever........

So if they didn't leave any of their information how did you get ahold of them? Maybe they didn't want anyone to contact them is why it was wrong or not put in. I use spell checker in my emails if I am sending them to anybody but family, but I am usually pretty good at spelling.

They were making comments to what I had listed on my website and how it makes my website look bad........ not like an email or anything ... FYI our website does not have spell checker on it .... becarefull!!

Hmm, that's just plain rude! They could have been courteous at least and let you know like oh by the way on you website I found .... and let you know or something!

O, ok, I thought that you meant that someone had an online order and you contacted them and they were rude to you. Yikes, that is bad. Who did you make mad? Hmmm, someone is just plain mean.

This is what they said to me ..he following person has submitted an email from your Personalized Site:Name: a b
E-mail: [email protected]
Day Phone: 0
Evening Phone: 0
Address: no information entered - no information entered
City: no information entered
State: no information entered
Zip: no information enteredThis person is interested in the following matters:When is the best time to contact you? Morning
Refer: no information entered
Comments or Message: You should use your spell-checker more -your spelling really lets your website down!

mommyhugz1978 said:
This is what they said to me ..he following person has submitted an email from your Personalized Site:

Name: a b
E-mail: [email protected]
Day Phone: 0
Evening Phone: 0
Address: no information entered - no information entered
City: no information entered
State: no information entered
Zip: no information entered

This person is interested in the following matters:

When is the best time to contact you? Morning
Refer: no information entered
Comments or Message: You should use your spell-checker more -your spelling really lets your website down!

Maybe they meant the comment to be helpful or advisory? I think you could read it many different ways and it is hard to detect tone, so I would reframe it and read it with a helpful tone instead of a critical one. :) Hope that helps!

Helps but still why would you go to the trouble of visiting someones personal website and say something like that?

who knows? Maybeeeeeee they went to check it out and they are going to send it to someone who is going to order $1000 worth of stuff and they just wanted to make sure you spell checked it first! *nodding* :)

I don't know ...... but the email address that they listed doesn't work so I can not respond back to them... OH well

Or maybe it's someone like me:eek: I have a thing about spelling correctly...I know that not everyone can or does (my husband and my brother for example), and I don't let it get to me in personal correspondance, or on a site like this where there isn't spell check. Too many important things to discuss - and spelling isn't on that list!;)
However, on a site used for advertising (or any advertising for that matter) I think it would probably turn me off if it was full of blatant spelling and grammatical errors, because it would seem unprofessional to me.

There are a couple of things you could do to help with this -

Have someone you know who is a good speller proof-read your site and give you a list of errors to correct.
OR
Type your info into a Word document first - spell check it, and then copy it onto your website.

I think it was rude to send an anonymous message regarding spelling errors though - if it was someone really trying to be helpful - they should have at least given you a contact name or # for feedback. I think most things done in secret like that are just hurtful, not helpful - and I'm sorry that this happened to you like that! Especially when you had that first excitement of seeing "web activity" on your email!

I agree with ChefBecky. Some people are really put off by bad grammar and spelling. I know this might bother you now but, the rude comment might have done you a favor. If your sight is professional then people will order, book a show and maybe even sign up to sell.

I also am a horrible speller so I always do Word then highlight/copy and paste. I know there is a program for grammar but I never know which one to use. Maybe someone else does. Good luck fixing your website. Elaine

Believe me I went into my website and I fixed my errors very quickly...... and I am still checking them........ LOL

People can just be jerks sometimes. Hey, if you don't want me to contact you, then don't give me your CONTACT info! She must be bored being right and perfect all of the time.

Violation of website posting/linking
mommyhugz1978 said:
Believe me I went into my website and I fixed my errors very quickly...... and I am still checking them........ LOL

You should note that by listing your personal website in your signature that you are in violation of PC and chef success rules.

When I do things for my site, I use word, spellcheck and then copy and paste.

To build on what John just posted, if you want to list your website just drop the www.pamperedchef.biz part and just list it like this: /annepratt.

Being as I'm notorious for finding spelling errors, I try my best to spell correctly on my website. But -- if I were to make a mistake, I would hope someone would be nice enough to tell me (that way I can correct it). Maybe that's what they were doing. Like my husband tells me, it's not WHAT you say but HOW you say it. And -- since you didn't HEAR them say it...we really don't know what their tone or intention was.

And -- just as a side note, I CANNOT stand to read published books and find spelling errors. That's probably my BIGGEST pet peeve...but you'd be amazed at how many nationally published books DO have mistakes in them...who are these proofreaders? I'd like to know. :)

spoiledchef said:
And -- just as a side note, I CANNOT stand to read published books and find spelling errors. That's probably my BIGGEST pet peeve...but you'd be amazed at how many nationally published books DO have mistakes in them...who are these proofreaders? I'd like to know. :)
I'm right there with you. Newspapers are notorious for spleeling errors!

Pickey Pickey,..... aren't we John??? LOL thanks for the tip......

jmabner said:
You should note that by listing your personal website in your signature that you are in violation of PC and chef success rules.

PoseyMom said:
Maybe they meant the comment to be helpful or advisory? I think you could read it many different ways and it is hard to detect tone, so I would reframe it and read it with a helpful tone instead of a critical one. :) Hope that helps!

I agree with Jenn. Try to take this in a positive way. Personally, bad spelling is a real pet peeve of mine. If we want people to see us as professionals (and not just "party people") we need to make sure everything we present to the public looks professional. From an ironed apron to correctly spelled words.

I think an email alerting you to the misspelled words would have been nicer and easier to take if it was signed.

I'm on the "misspelled words bug me" bandwagon. I think having misspelled words and poor grammar really *does* let your website down. Think of it as a cue to get someone to help you proofread if spelling and grammar aren't your personal strengths.

PoseyMom said:
I'm on the "misspelled words bug me" bandwagon. I think having misspelled words and poor grammar really *does* let your website down. Think of it as a cue to get someone to help you proofread if spelling and grammar aren't your personal strengths.

Ah Jenn, Once again I agree with you :) There is a commercial on the radio that says "People judge you by the words you speak". I think that's true...and by the words you spell (or misspell!)

My husband is a minister and brings home alot of flyers and brochures for me to proof before he prints them. Misspelled words have always jumped off the page at me....sometimes I don't know how they are supposed to be spelled but I can sure tell if they look funny.

If spelling isn't your thing or you just aren't sure.....that's what friends are for! Find one that can help you.

OK I get what you guys are trying to say here...... I will work on my spelling..... so much for moral support!! no I am not mad.. I was excited that someone notice my website.. but really disappointed when they did what they did..... spelling is not my greatest strenght obivously .... see I didn't spell that one right....Maybe I should not wear my skin so tight. I was jsut hoping for some suggestions since our website doesn't offer spell checker !!!

Last edited:
mommyhugz1978: I actually think its rude to point out misspelled words. Unless the person asks for your help. And, if you are trying to be nice about it, when you send an email to someone to let them know, you should try to be extra sensitive to how it may come off. We all know that email (as well as posting) doesn't convey emotion and you could really hurt someone's feelings whether you mean to or not.

"Bad spellers of the world-- UNTIE"

Thanks... Anne..... LOL!! :)

I tend to notice spelling mistakes too, but I don't think I would ever point it out to someone, unless they asked! There is a sign at a farm stand in my area that says LOBESTERS instead of Lobsters...drives me crazy but clearly it doesn't bother the owners b/c it is still there!
I know it's not easy but try not to take it too personally. I find that a lot of times people point other people's imperfections when they have imperfections of their own! Maybe it's out of jealousy or to make themselves feel better. Basically what it comes down to is it's THEIR issue not yours! Maybe this person isn't very good at spelling themselves or maybe they aren't good at math...OR maybe he or she is covered in body hair and looks like a Werewolf.

Anyways, I agree that using spellcheck in Word and then cutting and pasting is your best bet if you want to fix or your spelling...

AJPratt said:
mommyhugz1978: I actually think its rude to point out misspelled words. Unless the person asks for your help. And, if you are trying to be nice about it, when you send an email to someone to let them know, you should try to be extra sensitive to how it may come off. We all know that email (as well as posting) doesn't convey emotion and you could really hurt someone's feelings whether you mean to or not.

"Bad spellers of the world-- UNTIE"

I second that!!!! We sell PC because we can't spell don't they know that?

Maybe we should contact HO about getting a spell checker on the website for us.

I Third ThatI think we ought to email HO about having that feature on our websties.. so we look more professional....... Who knows someone might just plain type fast.!!!

bbauman07 said:
Maybe we should contact HO about getting a spell checker on the website for us.

mommyhugz1978 said:
Pickey Pickey,..... aren't we John??? LOL thanks for the tip......

Just trying to give you a heads up. I'm bummed out, I have been in the hospital on and off for three weeks and I had to cancel all of my shows this month. I did turn in a show for 1250 from orders I scrounged together at the last minute, plus a few christmas presents. I'll just be glad to get back out of the hospital this time.....the Dr says I should get out on Sat or Sun! Yippe

John: I hope its nothing too serious!

kaceyleigh2 said:
I tend to notice spelling mistakes too, but I don't think I would ever point it out to someone, unless they asked! There is a sign at a farm stand in my area that says LOBESTERS instead of Lobsters...drives me crazy but clearly it doesn't bother the owners b/c it is still there!
I know it's not easy but try not to take it too personally. I find that a lot of times people point other people's imperfections when they have imperfections of their own! Maybe it's out of jealousy or to make themselves feel better. Basically what it comes down to is it's THEIR issue not yours! Maybe this person isn't very good at spelling themselves or maybe they aren't good at math...OR maybe he or she is covered in body hair and looks like a Werewolf.

Anyways, I agree that using spellcheck in Word and then cutting and pasting is your best bet if you want to fix or your spelling...

Maybe they spell it that way because they sell the BEST Lobsters and wanted to save space on the sign! :)

Leah, I know it sounds like no one is supporting you but you have brought up a great topic. Misspelled words are everywhere! You aren't the only one that does it, we all do it at one time or another. (Yes, even those of us that hate seeing them!) I think that most spelling errors are just people's fingers getting ahead of them on the keyboard and carelessness. I make it a habit to proof read EVERYTHING I type and send in emails, posts, etc. Since I hit the 40's :eek: my brain can't seem to keep up with my fingers OR my mouth!! Bizarre things keep coming out of my mouth and through my fingers that I never planned!!

Feel Better SoonHope you feel better soon... thanks for the tip I didn't realize I couldn't have my website listen in my sig.

jmabner said:
Just trying to give you a heads up. I'm bummed out, I have been in the hospital on and off for three weeks and I had to cancel all of my shows this month. I did turn in a show for 1250 from orders I scrounged together at the last minute, plus a few christmas presents. I'll just be glad to get back out of the hospital this time.....the Dr says I should get out on Sat or Sun! Yippe

I hear you on that one... though I am no where near 40... I am close to 30 but I know that when I get to typing sometimes my fingers are going a heck of a lot faster than my brain is actualy working.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Maybe they spell it that way because they sell the BEST Lobsters and wanted to save space on the sign! :)

Leah, I know it sounds like no one is supporting you but you have brought up a great topic. Misspelled words are everywhere! You aren't the only one that does it, we all do it at one time or another. (Yes, even those of us that hate seeing them!) I think that most spelling errors are just people's fingers getting ahead of them on the keyboard and carelessness. I make it a habit to proof read EVERYTHING I type and send in emails, posts, etc. Since I hit the 40's :eek: my brain can't seem to keep up with my fingers OR my mouth!! Bizarre things keep coming out of my mouth and through my fingers that I never planned!!

Leah- I didn't mean for you to feel unsupported! I was trying to help you! Lisa's right, most misspelled words are typos! I get typing and sometimes I transpose letters. It's easy to do and sometimes if you are proofing your own work, your brain will automatically correct for your mistakes so you miss them AGAIN! It's always a good idea to get a second person to proof your work even if you are an excellent speller!! I make PLENTY of errors and I'm also a writer!

frustrationsThis is something that I have dealt with my whole life as well. It is jsut something that I have to deal with .. and contiune to work on!!! I do way better than my grandma however she is the worlds worst speller... she starts my name with an L and about 10 letters later it might end with an H if I am lucky!! LOL But she is my grandma and I love her jsut the same.

PoseyMom said:
Leah- I didn't mean for you to feel unsupported! I was trying to help you! Lisa's right, most misspelled words are typos! I get typing and sometimes I transpose letters. It's easy to do and sometimes if you are proofing your own work, your brain will automatically correct for your mistakes so you miss them AGAIN! It's always a good idea to get a second person to proof your work even if you are an excellent speller!! I make PLENTY of errors and I'm also a writer!

My sister used to be able to type over 100 words per minute and her advice was to read whatever you typed BACKWARDS so your brain has to read each word individually and you won't skip as many typos.

For example...what I just typed would be read "typos many as skip won't you and individually....." (That was for anyone that might have been confused about "reading backwards" :D )

I'm lost... LOL Just kidding.

Wow! That's the first time I've heard of that suggestion... It makes perfect sense though, because you would be looking at the words in isolation. I wish I'd known this years ago!! :)

Leah- sorry this is such a touchy subject. My 14 year old is dyslexic and she is a horrible speller! She also struggles with grammar and often writes how she speaks. It's been quite a struggle for her, so I really do understand and sympathize! With her once you get past the poor spelling and syntax, she has the most creative and brilliant ideas. We are a perfect match! She creates and I'm her personal editor! :)

Jen, I know how your daughter feels... I am dyslexic as well, though it is more refective with math than with words, but I have horrible spelling and grammar and I write how I speak as well.......

It took me alot time to work through stuff.. I am a full time college student..... writing papers is hard enough but having someone going behind me and correct me.. I spend alot of time rewritting papers becasue of grammar and spelling errors!! :(

PoseyMom said:
Wow! That's the first time I've heard of that suggestion... It makes perfect sense though, because you would be looking at the words in isolation. I wish I'd known this years ago!! :)

Leah- sorry this is such a touchy subject. My 14 year old is dyslexic and she is a horrible speller! She also struggles with grammar and often writes how she speaks. It's been quite a struggle for her, so I really do understand and sympathize! With her once you get past the poor spelling and syntax, she has the most creative and brilliant ideas. We are a perfect match! She creates and I'm her personal editor! :)

Leah - I also didn't mean for you to think I was not being supportive - I know how bad it must have felt to think you got a hit on your website, and then have it be anonymously rude! Please take my suggestions about spellcheck and having someone proofread your website as I intended (I know you can't read intention on email!) - which was coming from a heart that just wanted to help!
My husband is one of the most creative, funniest, and original thinkers I know - but he can't spell worth beans.....I am so used to editing his writing for him....but everytime he gives me a card, the only things that are spelled right are.....
my name and the Love, Rick at the end! I value every one of those cards - and the spelling doesn't matter one bit to me!

I just saw a big sign on a new Animal Hospital that said "Open Dailey". Doesn't anyone at the sign place let them know? Or do they not say anything so that they get paid to make a new sign? A week later it was fixed, but how long did it take them to notice? Not a good impression to start off your business.

i ALWAYS ALWAYS spell THE wrong when i am typing! ALWAYS! I do notice many people do the same.
i even just went back and fixed those THE'S!!!!

Leah I'm just going to say one thing from one bad speller to another: "It takes all types and some are consultants". lol Ok I'm going to say just one more thing, I'm right there with you and if I had gotten an email from my site like that it would have p*#$^$ me off. I totally understand your frustration (and who knows if I spelled that right).

Stacy: You are a hoot!

The tool bar Google offers has a spell check for form fields like when you type a comment, or something on your website. I used it here and it corrected 2 words just now.

gilliandanielle said:
I just saw a big sign on a new Animal Hospital that said "Open Dailey". Doesn't anyone at the sign place let them know? Or do they not say anything so that they get paid to make a new sign? A week later it was fixed, but how long did it take them to notice? Not a good impression to start off your business.

It frustrates the heck out of me when I see businesses spell things incorrectly...like, Lite Bulb Sale...what is that?

Swirl said:
Leah I'm just going to say one thing from one bad speller to another: "It takes all types and some are consultants". lol Ok I'm going to say just one more thing, I'm right there with you and if I had gotten an email from my site like that it would have p*#$^$ me off. I totally understand your frustration (and who knows if I spelled that right).

Thanks for the words of encouragement to know that I am not the only person that this upsets, that people go out of their way to be rude.

AJPratt said:
When I do things for my site, I use word, spellcheck and then copy and paste.
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.