• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rotary Grater or Microplane: Which One Reigns Supreme?

In summary, the conversation was about the comparison between the Rotary Grater and the Microplane. Some people preferred the Microplane for hard cheeses, fresh nutmeg, and citrus zests, while the rotary grater was better for soft cheeses. However, others preferred the old cheese grater for its versatility and ease of use. The Microplane was also prone to cracking, but it was still loved for its ability to grate fresh Parmesan and zest for baking. Overall, it depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the customer.
Jholmes0904
I had 2 people ask me what I liked better the Rotary Grater or Microplane? I have only used the Microplane. What are some pro's and con's between the too?

I L:love:VE my microplane and I prefer it for hard cheeses but it doesn't work for soft cheeses. For that I prefer the rotary grater. With the rotary grater you need to remember to rotate it backwards every so often or you get really long strings of the cheese.

Actually, I prefer our old cheese grater to the rotary grater but the good thing about the current one is that I don't get those clumps of cheese that gummed up the older one when I do the soft cheeses.

Yeah, what Beth said. Seriously, The microplane is great for fresh nutmeg, citrus zests, and hard cheeses. Softer cheeses are best grated with the rotary grater. It really depends on your customer's needs.

Yeah..what they said..LOL.

I love the Microplane for all the reasons stated above - easy to use & very versatile. I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the rotary grater. It is very "putzy" to grate cheese this way - in my mind, much easier to buy the pre-grated cheese at the store (usually no more expensive than a block of cheese - sometimes less). But, I know some people have great luck also grating chocolate and nuts in the rotary grater, so it also has multiple uses.

I much prefer the old Deluxe Cheese grater to the Rotary Grater. I like the choice of barrel. I have 2 in my kitchen and one on reserve in the basement. I use my Microplane ALL the time at home. I love fresh grated Parmesan! I have cracked 2 of them though, the plastic right down the middle on both sides! I also love to do zesting for my baking with it.

What is the difference between a rotary grater and a microplane?

A rotary grater is a handheld tool with a rotating drum and sharp blades that can be used to grate or shred ingredients. A microplane, on the other hand, has a long, narrow grating surface with small, sharp holes that are ideal for grating hard cheeses, ginger, and citrus zest. While both tools are used for grating, the design and size of the grating surface differ.

Which one is better for grating cheese?

Both a rotary grater and a microplane can be used to grate cheese, but the type of cheese you are grating may determine which one is better. A rotary grater is better for grating softer cheeses like cheddar or mozzarella, while a microplane is better for harder cheeses like Parmesan or Romano.

Can a rotary grater be used for other ingredients besides cheese?

Yes, a rotary grater can be used for a variety of ingredients, such as vegetables, fruits, chocolate, and nuts. The size of the grating surface may limit the size of the ingredient that can be grated, but it can still be a versatile tool for various grating needs.

Is a microplane difficult to clean?

No, a microplane is actually quite easy to clean. Most microplanes are dishwasher safe, and if hand washing, a simple rinse and scrub with a brush or sponge is typically all that is needed. Just be careful of the sharp blades!

Which one is more durable and long-lasting?

This may depend on the specific brand and quality of the product, but in general, a microplane may be more durable and long-lasting due to its single, solid piece design and high-quality stainless steel construction. A rotary grater, with its multiple moving parts, may be more prone to wear and tear over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • cookingwithdot
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Careyann
  • floccies
  • Products and Tips
Replies