• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ultimate Roommate Survival Kit: Tips and Tricks for Living with Roommates at NC

In summary, Rae recommends packing a kit with items like bandages, ear plugs, and chocolate to help cope with her roommates. She also recommends bringing alcohol, prescription drugs, or a gun in case of conflict.
raebates
Staff member
I'm looking for suggestions. I make a roommate survival kit for those rooming with me at NC. In the past they've included:

Breath Mints: In case you need to offer me one.

Chocolate: It releases “feel good” chemicals in your brain. You may need those after a few days cooped up with me.

Ear Plugs: Because I sometimes snore. (Although, I also talk in my sleep.
I’m told I can be pretty entertaining, so you may decide to skip them.)​

I was wondering if there was anything else I should add. What would have made it easier for you to cope with your roommates?

I keep Breathe Right strips in my suitcase for anyone who needs them. But I can't think of a cute sentence to go with them.Actually, I have a little kit that lives in the suitcase with the following:
bandages
ibuprofen
breathe right strips
ear plugs
nail kit (clippers, file, buffing board)
Pepto chewable tablets
imodium

Ok, and this will probably make all of you think badly of me, but I pack a bottle of wine!!

All that other stuff is great, but it's in my travel bag (except the Pepto, ear plugs, breathe rights, and imodium - pretty healthy, cast iron digestion, etc)

I do always carry band aids with me.

LOL Carol....wanna be roomies!?! He, He.....

None of us are drinkers, so the wine is a no-go.I think I can work with some of your ideas, Ann. Thanks.

these are things that we used with our teacher appreciation goodie bags this year:

Notepad: to record all of your wonderful ideas
Crayon: to color your day
Paper clip: to hold your busy day together
Rubberband: for being flexible when you're needed most
Band-Aid for healing hurt feelings
toothpick for picking out the good in everyone
string: to tie things together when everything falls apart
bubble gum: remember to stick with it and you can accomplish anything
mint: for your commit-mint
3 musketeers: we're glad you're on our team
tootsie roll: thanks for the roll you play at our school

you can look up teacher appreciation websites for more ideas...

Last time I went to conference, I brought ear plugs and a blindfold so I could go to bed when I wanted to and sleep in if I wanted to and not be bothered by chatting/snoring or lights. I was much happier than the time I went and had 3 roomies who liked to stay up late, snored, and then were early risers - YIKES! ;)

Wow....is it really an issue? Are the rooms small? Is there not another area where the night owls can go to so that the early birds can sleep? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Rae, sorry for being flippant up above, I do hope I did not offend you.

Honestly, the first thought that popped into my head was - Duct Tape. LOL It's been a rough day with the kids and I fantasize.

Seriously, all of the above idea's sound great. I'm taking notes!!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Wow....is it really an issue? Are the rooms small? Is there not another area where the night owls can go to so that the early birds can sleep? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Laurie, if the rooms are anything like the rooms for the Canadian conference they are typical hotel rooms - nothing fancy. Two beds, dresser, desk, small table with 2 chairs and washroom.

raebates said:
I'm looking for suggestions. I make a roommate survival kit for those rooming with me at NC. In the past they've included:

Breath Mints: In case you need to offer me one.

Chocolate: It releases “feel good” chemicals in your brain. You may need those after a few days cooped up with me.

Ear Plugs: Because I sometimes snore. (Although, I also talk in my sleep.
I’m told I can be pretty entertaining, so you may decide to skip them.)​

I was wondering if there was anything else I should add. What would have made it easier for you to cope with your roommates?

With MY roommates? Alcohol, prescription drugs or a gun - take your pick! Okay, okay I'm kidding on the last one but I stand by the first two! ;)

Jolie_Paradoxe said:

The rooms are nice, but they're hotel rooms. Unless you're in the bathroom, you're in the same room with your chatty roommates.

And, never worry about offending me, Laurie. Being offended is a choice, and I simply choose not to make it. I decided years ago that 80% of the time when we're offended it's because we've misunderstood the meaning behind someone's remark. If there's a positive or neutral way to take something, that's the meaning I choose to attach. As for those other 80% who really are being offensive, it's fun to frustrate them by not taking the bait. :p

I like the blindfold idea, Cathy. I'll have to be on the lookout for inexpensive ones.

Crystal, I'm going to watch for the mini-packs of duct tape I've seen before.

Here's what I'm thinking of adding:

Ibuprofen: Just in case you find me to be a little too much of a headache.

Nail file: In case I frustrate you to the point of biting your nails.

Tummy tablets: In case a few days with me leads to indigestion.

Blindfold: In case you don't want to rise at 5 a.m. with me.

Duct tape: In case you just can't get me to shut up.

Chefmosely, I like your idea. I've used those for retreats before. They're more of a long-term survival kit, though. I'm looking for things that they might need to use to survive the 3 days with me.

Rae, you are too much! I can't wait to meet you in person!!

PS I hear what you are saying regarding getting offended. I also like to frustrate the people who want to offend me by NOT getting offended. The looks on their faces is soo funny!!!

Awesome ideas ladies! Thank you! I am attending conference (Wave 3) with two first timers and would like to put something together for them. You have all given me some great ideas. How creative all of you are.

I usually take a package of individually wrapped minty chocolates (the Ghirardelli squares). I put one on each person's pillow each evening. It's silly, but fun. :)

raebates said:
The rooms are nice, but they're hotel rooms. Unless you're in the bathroom, you're in the same room with your chatty roommates.

And, never worry about offending me, Laurie. Being offended is a choice, and I simply choose not to make it. I decided years ago that 80% of the time when we're offended it's because we've misunderstood the meaning behind someone's remark. If there's a positive or neutral way to take something, that's the meaning I choose to attach. As for those other 80% who really are being offensive, it's fun to frustrate them by not taking the bait. :p

I was hoping that since 4 people would be in a room, that they might have a lounge area with a "sitting room" or something....ah well! I can sleep through anything, it's just falling asleep thta is an issue for me. Whiners, Bullies and Victim Mentalities will be my only problem....since my roomies will be from my cluster, I know it won't be a problem = )

Thanks Rae....it takes a lot to offend me for the same reasons you stated. It takes too much energy and wastes too much time....I do get annoyed easily though, so am working on that one. :blushing:

I'm easily amused and sometimes can take things too lightly, and it was for that I hoped I didn't irk you. Trying to make light of a "serious" thread and all, but oh how I love to laugh. And I'm sure you've already seen I always have something to say....my nickel and dime....he he

I do so love your personality Rae....you are a fabulous spirit. Thanks!

Aw, Laurie, you're making me blush. I like your idea, Ann. Of course, you know that chocolate and mint are both stimulants. That means you're almost guaranteeing that your roommates will have trouble falling asleep. Are you trying to keep them up until after you're asleep in case they snore? ;)

Most of the time, they set it aside for the next day, since they see it after they've brushed teeth.

Matches or little candles for the bathroom. Takes the odor out of the bathroom.

ChefLisa said:

What are you saying? That we smell? Huh!?

Just kidding!!! I KNOW I smell, my kids (young) aren't shy, "Mom, did you stink up the bathroom or was it Daddy?" I always blame DH, but it doesn't work when he's on the road.:rolleyes:

Great idea, Lisa.

A candle: in case I get a bit stinky.

Definitely a great idea. I brought enough earplugs to share. I don't snore, but 2 others did :). It helps me fall asleep quicker having it quiet away from home.

Crystal Patton said:
What are you saying? That we smell? Huh!?

Just kidding!!! I KNOW I smell, my kids (young) aren't shy, "Mom, did you stink up the bathroom or was it Daddy?" I always blame DH, but it doesn't work when he's on the road.:rolleyes:

And the stress of trying NOT to stink it up only messes up the internal pipes even more!!

Thankfully, my roommates are my two sons and my DH...so they just get me in all my glory no matter what! and vice-versa...which isn't TOO bad...most days.

Found sleep masks at Wal-Mart for about $2.50. Not too bad. Instead of Ibuprofen I found the new Bayer Aspirin Crystals. I bought them to try them the next time I have a headache. If they work well, that's what I'll bring in my first-aid kit and also put in the survival kits. The Furry Guy loved the idea of the duct tape. Reminder to self: beware of The Furry Guy if he's wielding duct tape. :)

chefann said:
Actually, I have a little kit that lives in the suitcase with the following:
bandages
ibuprofen
breathe right strips
ear plugs
nail kit (clippers, file, buffing board)
Pepto chewable tablets
imodium

My take along first aid kit is very similar. I have done it since I was single and now it's in my car (with 2 kids you don't know whats going to come up). Anyway my sister has made fun of me for years, even though when she needed something I always had it. It makes me feel better that others think the way I do.

I also have:
neosporin with my bandages, and somekind of first aid wipes
allergy tabs of somekind- great for when your outdoors or someone perfume just sets you off
tweezers (those wooden benches outside can be beastly)
female hygeine products-someone in the group is always unprepared, plus stress and travel can mess with anyones cycle.

As far as conference ideas:

take a can of lysol or other disinfecting spray-( have you seen hotel reports, very dirty)
extension cord- with 4 in a room you may need to use hairdryers outside of the bathroom

Beth - great add-ons! Thank you!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:

If youre staying in one of the conference hotels like the Hilton, there will be 2 full bathrooms per room.

PamperChefCarol said:
Ok, and this will probably make all of you think badly of me, but I pack a bottle of wine!!

All that other stuff is great, but it's in my travel bag (except the Pepto, ear plugs, breathe rights, and imodium - pretty healthy, cast iron digestion, etc)

I do always carry band aids with me.

I'll bet you'll make lots of new friends with your wine.
I't should be cheaper than drinking in the lounge.

Chef Bobby said:
If youre staying in one of the conference hotels like the Hilton, there will be 2 full bathrooms per room.

That's only true of you book a 2-bath room. Not all of the rooms at the Hilton have 2 baths, and none of the Sheraton rooms do.

I was just reading this and I may have to do something - not for me but for my roommates! And Ann, I like the idea of the chocolates only I think I may have to find the little airplane type bottles of booze for my roomies and some Advil p.m.! I have that confounded mask for sleep apnia and although it sounds like an airconditioner it may be bothersome. And can't sleep without it at all so it has to go with. And I am one of those up at the crack of dawn people but I do my bathroom thing and get out of the room fast to squelch my coffee addiction!

For me I bring my own bed! An AeroBed - it's comfy and I don't have to share a bed w/anyone:)!

I also bring a sound machine. Love the white noise. Helps if people are snoring - sometimes that's me!!

I never thought about bringing an air mattress. There are 3 of us in our room. Since we're there for 3 nights, we take turns. Each gets a bed of our own for 1 night.

Ok, I know this is going to be gross, but I was just thinking about this the other day....should we bring an air freshener or something to help for if people have stinky feet?! :yuck: After wearing the same shoes all day w/ all the walking, I can just imagine everyone coming back to the hotel, taking off the shoes and the odor just permeating through the air. I'm going to bring socks to put on after taking off shoes to cut down on any possible odor. (I have a very sensitive nose) :D :rolleyes: Comes in handy when I need to find the source of a bad smell in the house, but not so much when I wish I didn't have to smell the bad stuff. (My husband can't smell anything, so he's always happy) :rolleyes:

(Okay, maybe I shouldn't post this...it's a bit embarassing :blushing:)

ChefLisa said:

Unfortunately, candles aren't allowed in hotel rooms. (At least that's what I've heard)

Try a wickless candle warmer. Buy 'em for about $5 most places (even the dollar store may have them) and pack a jar candle. Yummy Yum!

The Hallmark store here sells something you put a few drops in the water & it takes care of the smell. Someone I know gave it in stockings one year. Also, I take the bandaid type things that are gel for when you get blisters from walking too much. They are a life saver for feet!

babywings76 said:
Ok, I know this is going to be gross, but I was just thinking about this the other day....should we bring an air freshener or something to help for if people have stinky feet?! :yuck: After wearing the same shoes all day w/ all the walking, I can just imagine everyone coming back to the hotel, taking off the shoes and the odor just permeating through the air. I'm going to bring socks to put on after taking off shoes to cut down on any possible odor. (I have a very sensitive nose) :D :rolleyes: Comes in handy when I need to find the source of a bad smell in the house, but not so much when I wish I didn't have to smell the bad stuff. (My husband can't smell anything, so he's always happy) :rolleyes:

(Okay, maybe I shouldn't post this...it's a bit embarassing :blushing:)

A refreshing way to take care of this is to just wash your feet when you get in for the evening. Then put on a pair of socks. Seriously, your feet will feel so great after spending the day on them.

Definately a good idea to bring air freshener for the bathroom!

Chef Bobby said:
I'll bet you'll make lots of new friends with your wine.
I't should be cheaper than drinking in the lounge.

Why yes I do!! We generally end up as the "party room." It's nice to have some time to socialize with others that I don't normally see.

And my band aids are always very popular.

Another great thing for the feet to help with blisters or rather to keep from getting them is something called moleskin. You can get it at any pharmacy and it is a lifesaver when you are going to be on your feet a lot.

pampered1224 said:
i was just reading this and i may have to do something - not for me but for my roommates! And ann, i like the idea of the chocolates only i think i may have to find the little airplane type bottles of booze for my roomies and some advil p.m.! I have that confounded mask for sleep apnia and although it sounds like an airconditioner it may be bothersome. And can't sleep without it at all so it has to go with. And i am one of those up at the crack of dawn people but i do my bathroom thing and get out of the room fast to squelch my coffee addiction!

instead of earplugs i wear my mp3 earphones, the soft music will deaden the sound. Have eye mask so those insomniacs watching tv don't bother me. Bring fabreeze in a small spray bottle use for stinky shoes, after toilet use, static cling, this is my 9th conference, i know i am getting old cause the 1st. We never went to sleep, the second we put our feet up for the time the others showered, the next we slept 3 hours and the sleep lenghtened every year after. Also.... We buy mini wine bottles for my cluster for at dinner, after workshops they are $1 at jewel osco. Saves $$, baileys, kahalua any single shot goodies. Enjoy conference!!!

take a can of lysol or other disinfecting spray-( have you seen hotel reports, very dirty)We can't carry aerasol cans on the plane though....

Don't forget to check for BED BUGS when you get to your room!

1. What are some basic items I should include in my roommate survival kit?

Some basic items to include in your roommate survival kit are cleaning supplies, snacks, and personal care items like toothpaste, shampoo, and soap.

2. How can I make sure my roommate survival kit is personalized for my specific needs and preferences?

Consider asking your future roommates what their favorite snacks or toiletries are and include those in the kit. You can also add items that cater to their hobbies or interests, such as a book or magazine related to their favorite topic.

3. What should I include in my roommate survival kit to promote a positive living environment?

Include items that encourage communication and cooperation, such as a dry erase board for writing notes or a deck of cards for game nights. You can also add a list of household rules and responsibilities to help prevent conflicts.

4. How can I handle potential roommate conflicts with the help of my survival kit?

In addition to including items that promote open communication, you can also include a pack of sticky notes for leaving friendly reminders or a small gift card for a coffee shop or restaurant in case you need to smooth things over with your roommate after a disagreement.

5. Are there any fun or unique items I can add to my roommate survival kit?

Consider adding items that can create a fun and lighthearted atmosphere, such as a mini board game, a pack of temporary tattoos, or a silly joke book. You can also include a disposable camera to capture memories with your roommates throughout the year.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefCKHall
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
kittychef
  • jbarnhill
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefmeg
Back