• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Avoid the Slice 'N Bleed Disaster: Tips for Safe Mandoline Usage

In summary, someone posted on a mothers' forum that using the food holder on the mandoline is a common problem, and so one of the members posted a suggestion for how to avoid injury. KG tried to look at what was clogging up the hole in the EAD and BAM got squirted in the eye with whipped topping. He had to have several surgeries and now wears a glass eye.
PamperedCrum
I was using the old Slice 'n Grate yedsterday because 1. I can't get used to the Ultimate Mandoline and 2. I was slicing cabbage and wasn't sure how that would work with the food holder. You can see where this is going, I'm sure.. :eek:

So I posted on a mothers' forum I'm on about my newly sliced fingertip! Apparently, not using the food holder is a common problem (hence the mandoline's safety feature I'm sure). So one of the members posted, in honor of me :D , "Who else has cut themselves on the Pampered Chef Slice 'N Bleed?"

Oh, how my friends amuse me! LOL! :rolleyes:

Sell her the UM!

Ugh...I can't. I hate it. Seriously, sometimes I can get it to work right at home, but if I'm EVER demonstrating it at a show it just won't slice, and makes a huge mess. I need remedial help with it.

The Slice & Bleed is right up there with the Easy Accident Decorator.Just remember to take catalogs and order forms to the ER with you.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Slice & Bleed is right up there with the Easy Accident Decorator.

Just remember to take catalogs and order forms to the ER with you.

That's just what I needed, extra catalogs and order forms - :rolleyes:

That was the reason I didn't go to the ER the last time I used the Finger...ummh, I mean..... Apple Wedger.:eek: I have cut my fingers EVERY SINGLE time I have used it, so I was extra careful at my SHOW, and not only did I knick my finger, but sliced my thumb. :eek: It didn't stop bleeding for at least 1/2 hour and took two weeks to heal where I didn't need a bandaid to keep the dirt out. It was at least 1/2 inch wide and so tender for the first week.

I used the paring knife to finish cutting the apples (with band-aids, paper towels and used several gloves).

I just told them I was so used to using my lesser quality wedger that I wasn't used to this higher quality wedger and had to be more careful, like you would be with a new set of sharp knives.

Guess what, I didn't sell one apple wedger:eek: , but I did sell 2 of them at one of my other shows, telling them how sharp they are:D

Serrated bread knife for me!!

genburk said:
That's just what I needed, extra catalogs and order forms - :rolleyes:

That was the reason I didn't go to the ER the last time I used the Finger...ummh, I mean..... Apple Wedger.:eek: I have cut my fingers EVERY SINGLE time I have used it, so I was extra careful at my SHOW, and not only did I knick my finger, but sliced my thumb. :eek: It didn't stop bleeding for at least 1/2 hour and took two weeks to heal where I didn't need a bandaid to keep the dirt out. It was at least 1/2 inch wide and so tender for the first week.

I used the paring knife to finish cutting the apples (with band-aids, paper towels and used several gloves).

I just told them I was so used to using my lesser quality wedger that I wasn't used to this higher quality wedger and had to be more careful, like you would be with a new set of sharp knives.

Guess what, I didn't sell one apple wedger:eek: , but I did sell 2 of them at one of my other shows, telling them how sharp they are:D

You better start doing your demos with the kids' baking set and pumpkin carving set. :eek: They're safer!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The Slice & Bleed is right up there with the Easy Accident Decorator.

Just remember to take catalogs and order forms to the ER with you.

How do you hurt yourself with the EAD? :confused:

AccidentKG tried to look at what was clogging up the hole in the EAD and BAM got squirted in the eye with whipped topping.

He had to have several surgeries and now wears a glass eye.
Isn't that right KG??

LOL
Debbie :D

"Who else has cut themselves on the Pampered Chef Slice 'N Bleed?"

Been there, done that! I haven't purchased the UM and have retired my US&G. I thought I was being so careful when I was demoing to my DH how easy it was to slice a potato when the potato slipped out of my hand and I sliced the ends off 2 of my fingers. I was just glad that it didn't do it at a show! Anyone want to buy a barely used US&G?:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You better start doing your demos with the kids' baking set and pumpkin carving set. :eek: They're safer!

I guess I could tell my guests that I got demoted instead of promoted....... for safety's sake. :D No Directorship for me.... bah humbug !!

Last edited:
I Lost Part Of My Thumb Using The Us&g,it Took About A Whole Day To Stop Bleeding! And Another 2 Weeks To Heal! I Have A Scar On My Thumb That Reminds Me Never Use It When Your In A Hurry.

DebbieSAChef said:
KG tried to look at what was clogging up the hole in the EAD and BAM got squirted in the eye with whipped topping. He had to have several surgeries and now wears a glass eye.
Isn't that right KG?? LOL
Um...not exactly. (That Hertz!)Nah, in one of the acronym threads, EAD was referred to as the Easy Accident Decorator and that just popped into my head when I saw this thead.

Last edited:
Scaring people away!Now isn't this a great thread to get us to sell our old US&G's, which I still have mine sitting in a kitchen cupboard used only twice. I am afraid to get it out. My fingers are precious to me. LOL

I actually have a customer who loves it and hates the new Mandolin. She hasn't cut herself and seems to use the holding tool all the time.

genburk said:
It didn't stop bleeding for at least 1/2 hour and took two weeks to heal where I didn't need a bandaid to keep the dirt out.

Liquid Band-aid seems to be helping keep it clean and protected - it's SO HARD to keep a bandage on the tip of your finger!!

Thanks for commisserating with me, everyone! I still love my slice and grate, but I do think I'll take it a little more seriously! :D

Can I top you all...I was at a show demonstrating the "safety" features of the new mandolin and sliced the tip of my finger off and cut my other finger. I WASN'T EVEN USING THE DARN THING!

I did the rest of the show one handed! Obviously I didn't sell any THAT night! From now on I just talk about the safety features.

I will share with you what I've shared at my shows:You should NEVER use the USG without the holder. Do you understand? NEVER. Now that I've made that clear, so you can't sue me or PC if you hurt yourself, I want to tell you something. What I am about to tell you is NOT approved by the Pampered Chef. However, some things don't fit on the food holder. If you want to use the USG without the food holder, get a fileting glove. You can purchase this in the fishing department of most sporting goods stores. They are cut resistant, so you won't get hurt if you brush your hand against the blade.

PamperedCrum said:
Liquid Band-aid seems to be helping keep it clean and protected - it's SO HARD to keep a bandage on the tip of your finger!!
I had liquid band-aid, but this really needed a few stitches. :rolleyes: I used a butterfly to keep it closed, then 3 band-aids to cover it up and cushion it, then covered my whole thumb in that brown self stick wrapping to keep it completely covered. The second week, I just used 2 band-aids. But I work in a daycare, so everytime we served food, juice or changed diapers, I had to wear a glove, because I couldn't really wash it for a few days. Just kept it clean and dry, and used lots of ointment.

Ointment.That's one of my favorite words - it's so much fun to say!Ointment.I'm glad you're okay now but thanks for reminding me of "ointment."

Been there done that too! However, I WAS at a show! I think I was making the old recipe "Spring Fruit Charlotte" maybe. Don't recall but I do remember I was slicing (or trying to slice a plum) Stupid me had just explained how it is very important to always use the food holder so you don't cut yourself and then I did it. I think what happened is I had forgotten to take the pit out of the plum first so right when the pit hit the blade it slipped and there went a chunk out of my thumb. I immediately ran to the kitchen sink to run it under water to maybe stop the bleeding. Held paper towels on it and it kept soaking through. YUK! I had to leave my show to go to the ER and have it carteurized. (burned). Ended up being over a $400 show w/o me even there! Never thought of having catalogs at the ER though. HMMMMMMM

I was at a show also, and I tried to clean it up. Ended up with paper towels in hand and changing as it bled through. Didn't go to ER, but should have had stitches. I will remember to keep an emergency kit with me for the next time. You know what goes in the emergency kit? band-aids, extra catalogs, order forms, pen, and calculator !! Thanks KG for the idea.

1. What is "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!"?

"Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" is a new tool from Pampered Chef that quickly and easily slices and dices fruits and vegetables with a unique twist - it also adds a decorative bleeding effect to your dishes.

2. Is "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" safe to use?

Yes, "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" is designed with safety in mind. The blades are made of high-quality stainless steel and the tool has a secure grip handle to prevent any accidents while slicing.

3. How do I clean "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!"?

Cleaning "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" is easy - simply rinse the blades under running water and wipe down the handle with a damp cloth. It is also dishwasher safe for added convenience.

4. Can "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" be used for other foods besides fruits and vegetables?

While "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" is primarily designed for fruits and vegetables, it can also be used to slice and bleed other softer foods such as cheese, tofu, and deli meats.

5. Can I adjust the bleeding effect on "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!"?

Yes, "Rofl! Slice 'N Bleed!" has a dial on the handle that allows you to adjust the amount of bleeding for your desired effect. You can also turn off the bleeding feature completely for regular slicing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dianevill
  • nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
  • AMTC
  • Products and Tips
Replies