• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rocky Road Brownies Made W/ Boxed Mix

In summary, Ginger 428 made the Rocky Road Brownies with a boxed brownie mix (family size). OMG - they were delicious!! Her husband didn't get over how much better this one was than the last. Everyone loved it. She's making it for our team meeting tonight - can't wait to have "s'more"!
krahema
Just wanted to share that I made the Rocky Road Brownies with a boxed brownie mix (family size). OMG - they were delicious!!

I've made them before according to the recipe, and either I over-cooked them, or I don't really like the recipe ;)

So last night...I just mixed up the brownie mix according to the directions (just used 2 eggs - not the 3 eggs "for a more cake-like texture"), also added about 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (forgot to add chopped walnuts - but will add them next time), poured the batter into my DCB & microwaved for 7 minutes (keep in mind, my micro cooks pretty fast).

From there I kind of followed the recipe - cut marshmallows in half - arranged on top of brownies, sprinkles about a half-cup semi-sweet chocolate chips on top & sprinkle chopped walnuts on top.

It was AMAZING!!! My husband couldn't get over how much better this one was than the last. Everyone loved it.

I'm making it for our team meeting tonight - can't wait to have "s'more"!

krahema said:
can't wait to have "s'more"!

That's got me thinking. Maybe I'll sub the nuts on top with chunks of graham crackers for s'more brownies.

I am going to try doing this. I made them according to recipe yesterday and found the brownie part to be rather dry. I was trying to decide how I might salvage this as I think it would be a good show recipe if it were moister....

I had the same thought as Becca re the graham crackers...will be trying that next time too.

I made them with a box mix and forgot to add nuts to the batter. I wasn't too crazy about the texture of the brownie part having been cooked in the microwave. I wonder if I'd like them better w/ the 2 eggs instead?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that wasn't wowed by the recipe. Will have to try it with a regular mix. Thanks for posting.

I made this with a mix first and was not impressed- much too dry. But I followed the directions that only called for 1 egg. I have made it several times by the recipe and it was a hit. So much moister than the mix. Fresh marshmallows are also key- learned that the hard way too! It made a great demo recipe.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it!

I made it with the boxed mix. I must have cooked it too long because the brownies dried out on the part that was left over. The marshmallows hardened to a cement-like consistency when it cooled, and they were fresh. Any advice?

bcowdin said:
I made it with the boxed mix. I must have cooked it too long because the brownies dried out on the part that was left over. The marshmallows hardened to a cement-like consistency when it cooled, and they were fresh. Any advice?

Use the box mix with the right ingredients! Add 1/2 of the nuts, microwave uncovered 5-7 minutes, no longer ( unless its soup ) use 1/2 a bag of mini marshmallows, half a bag of chocolate chips & remaining nuts. Cover & microwave 1-2 minutes No longer. Let stand Covered 5 minutes! It DOES NOT get any easier, I promise! :D

Ginger 428,
Did you use the boxed mix that was family sized?
Thanks, Barbara

bcowdin said:
Ginger 428,
Did you use the boxed mix that was family sized?
Thanks, Barbara

Just a regular box, the same size as a cake mix box...

Thanks! I'm going to try this tonight at home. If it goes well, I will add it to my show next week! :)

I made them from scratch, exactly the way the recipe says (minus the nuts), and it was wonderful. My daughters boyfriend put it in the top ten desserts he's ever had! That was a real compliment coming from him, lol. It does not taste like a box mix brownie (because it's not supposed to :) ). It is a decadent dessert; yummy! I microwaved them for just 5 minutes; any more and it would have been dry and hard. After putting the marshmallows on (I used mini ones) and the chocolate kisses, I microwaved for another minute and a half and then put the lid on for 15 minutes just because we weren't ready to eat it at 10. IF you haven't made these yet, try it the way the recipe reads. Very easy and delicious!

I tried it at the 5 minutes and the middle was gooey - and the said a toothpick was to come out clean. Do you just forgo that part, and put marshmallows on top and nuke for another 2 minutes?

I just made these tonight for my family. OMG!! Very rich but so good!I used a reg box of brownies, made per directions. In the DCB into the microwave, uncovered as Ginger said, for 6.5 minutes ( could have done another minute). Then added the half bag of mini marshmallows (enough to have a single layer, could have done a few less), then about half a bag of mini kisses. Another 1.5 minutes covered. Let them sit for the 5 minutes or so (was still very HOT when I served them nearly 10 minutes later). The center was a little undone, but edible if you like them gooey. Yum.Funny thing was, when I told my DH what I was going to make for dessert and that it would be in the microwave, he gave me "that look" that says, "you are gonna WHAT?". I explained that I had to try the recipe, if I was going to be giving the cards out tomorrow at my booth, it would sound better if I had actually TRIED the recipe, right? He had to agree. ;)

Last edited:

1. Can I use any boxed brownie mix for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any brand of boxed brownie mix for this recipe. However, we recommend using a fudgy brownie mix for the best results.

2. Do I need to add any extra ingredients to the boxed mix?

Yes, you will need to add a few extra ingredients to the boxed mix to make the Rocky Road Brownies. This may include eggs, oil, and water. Be sure to follow the instructions on the boxed mix and the additional ingredients listed in the recipe.

3. Can I use a different type of nuts instead of walnuts for the rocky road topping?

Yes, you can use any type of nuts you prefer for the rocky road topping. Some popular options include almonds, pecans, or peanuts. You can also omit the nuts altogether if you have a nut allergy.

4. What is the best way to store leftover Rocky Road Brownies?

The best way to store leftover brownies is to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and keep them at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just be sure to let them come to room temperature before serving.

5. Can I make these brownies ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the brownies ahead of time and store them in the freezer for up to a month. Just be sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container before freezing. Thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • raebates
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • stefani2