• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Brownie Mix Hacks for the New Season: Do I Just Add Eggs?

In summary, the first time you make this recipe, it comes out dry. The second time you make it, with the brownie mix, it is good. The third time you make it, with 3 eggs, it is perfect.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I'm going to offer this for the new season but want to shorten it up and do just a brownie mix. Has anyone done this? Do I just add the three eggs or add what ever it calls for on the box of brownies?

I've done it twice with a mix, both times I just made it like the directions said...I think it was 2 eggs, water, and oil.

I prefer to simply use the brownie mix as well! I tryed it once and it was just a bit dry... but going to do again! HOPE HOPE HOPE it will work! so much easier and guests seem to me more interested in easy!

I did it the first time with just the 2 eggs, but it comes out better if you do the cake-like instructions (3 eggs). I just substituted the brownie mix for the scratch mix and followed the rest of the directions yes.To save additional time though, I use half a bag of mini-marshmallows and put enough to make a single layer on top, instead of cutting up the big marshmallows. Then I used a half bag of chocolate chips. :)

Don't you think people would like to see things made from scratch (healthier, cheaper...)? Most people have the scratch ingredients in the house. I just think that we (PC) has a reputation of using crescent rolls, etc and if we do more scratch things people will learn we are about easy, healthy, what's in the house cooking. Just MHO.

I intend to make this as the recipe says. I wonder if it matters which marshmallows though - I'd think the mini would be dryer as they have more of the powdery coating than the larger cut up ones would?

I think it's a toss up. People like the fact that they can put together a dessert like this very fast. Most people I know would NOT make brownies from scratch. (I would, but I'm not most.) Brownies aren't exactly what I'd call healthy. ;) haha.Other recipes- perhaps...this particular recipe? doubtful. I didn't notice any difference with the marshmallows by the way...but I'm sure the others would be better. Just was throwing it out there as a time saver, and a alternative if you didn't have the big ones.

I agree that healthier is better...for the most part I don't use anything that has preservatives in it... but I LOVE the fact that we can offer them a choice. At my shows I have been using the SIMPLE box version and talk about doing the from scratch version at home if they prefer. Most say they would use the SIMPLE way! I also used the mini marshmallow and chocolate chips...Came out good but a bit dry. Want to find a way to make it owey and goey! Good point about using the whole marshmallow though.

I've made this several times both ways. The first time I made it with the brownie mix it did turn out drier. Then I made it the from scratch way and it was good. Then I tried it again w/ a mix with 3 eggs. I watched the cooking time this time and let it undercook just a tiny, tiny bit the first time it goes in (it was mostly just about done, but looked a tiny bit "wet" in the very center on top). Then I added the marshmallows and chocolate & nuts and cooked it the few additional minutes and it turned out perfect. From scratch, it turns out fine and isn't too hard (I hate chopping up the chocolate though that goes in the batter). I can see that if you want to just do this recipe only as your demo how it would be good to do it because it shows more products. But for those parties where you just need a quickie dessert recipe, I'd easily do this w/ a cake mix. Just like doing the Chocolate PB Lava Cake, it's just to show the DCB and how you can throw together a simple and great tasting dessert fast. Most people don't make brownies from scratch and aren't opposed to using a mix, so for dessert recipes I don't think we get much slack from people about it. But for main dishes, I agree that it's nice to stay away from the crescent rolls and such and cook from whole foods/real ingredients. ;) :)

And there are "healthier" options for brownie mixes as well, you don't have to stick with Betty or Duncan.

alidafrizzell said:
I agree that healthier is better...for the most part I don't use anything that has preservatives in it... but I LOVE the fact that we can offer them a choice. At my shows I have been using the SIMPLE box version and talk about doing the from scratch version at home if they prefer. Most say they would use the SIMPLE way! I also used the mini marshmallow and chocolate chips...Came out good but a bit dry. Want to find a way to make it owey and goey! Good point about using the whole marshmallow though.
I just don't cook it for quite as long. I think the problem with it being dry is that it's cooking too long. Oh! And I've been adding hot fudge sauce drizzled over the top. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce is perfect for this!And I agree that with brownies, people want easier, not healthier. Personally, this isn't something I would ever make at home - we are gluten, and mostly grain free, and also refined-sugar free...but I don't expect other people to eat like I do. AND this is never my main demo. I don't do dessert demos. Both times that I've made it, it was an extra recipe mostly done ahead as a gift to the host for meeting a goal - and this brownie, made with a mix, was their choice of a dessert both times. **to add: which is why I used a mix - I don't normally have the wheat flour or sugar at home to make this type of brownie (I make brownies...just not this type of recipe) so a boxed mix is a much better option for me when I'm providing the ingredients.

Last edited:
Healthy... brownies... do those two words go together? I want to pair it with an easy appetizer recipe and wanted a way to cut down the time it took to make it.

wadesgirl said:
Healthy... brownies... do those two words go together? .

I believe we had this "discussion" regarding cake and healthy. They didn't go together either;)

Okay. You guys got me there. Brownies aren't really healthy (but a little chocolate IS so maybe they are, in moderation). My point was that it only takes a second or two to put ingredients together vs a box mix. I DO use the mix at my parties too but I offer the host a choice. You'd be surprised how often they choose scratch...I have found that I get tons of compliments on scratch made brownies and don't get the same kind of comments when I have used a mix and IMHO it doesn't save me enough time to use the box.

BethCooks4U said:
Okay. You guys got me there. Brownies aren't really healthy (but a little chocolate IS so maybe they are, in moderation). My point was that it only takes a second or two to put ingredients together vs a box mix. I DO use the mix at my parties too but I offer the host a choice. You'd be surprised how often they choose scratch...

I have found that I get tons of compliments on scratch made brownies and don't get the same kind of comments when I have used a mix and IMHO it doesn't save me enough time to use the box.

One thing I like about the box is that I can mix it right in the DCB and not have to take another bowl with me. Really trying to cut down my kit this season.

wadesgirl said:
One thing I like about the box is that I can mix it right in the DCB and not have to take another bowl with me. Really trying to cut down my kit this season.

But I can do that too. I just need a measuring cup or two or the measure-all and still mix it in the DCB. That's the joy of this business, we can all do what we are comfortable with.

The cooking time IS the issue. The recipe cards cooking time is based solely on the "weight" of the ingredients in that recipe. If you change that by using a box mix, which I would totally bet weighs less than than the homemade version on the card, the cook time will be out of whack. Amanda is correct too in that any cake item you put in the microwave, should be slightly wet looking on the top. Wanna a "just in case" solution? Add one extra tablespoon of oil not an egg as those are mostly water, to the boxed mix. Oil will not evaporate out so...

What size Brownie mix is used?

I love the fact that the ingreds are common and most are in everyone's home (don't you have a stash of chocolate kisses? :D) For gluten free, I just used rice flour and it turned out fabulous! Totally worth an extra bowl!

Sandi

So I am new and haven't tried this recipe yet - my DCB should be delivered to my house today or tomorrow! Can you make this in a microwave without a turn table?

Ramona_Nolan said:
So I am new and haven't tried this recipe yet - my DCB should be delivered to my house today or tomorrow! Can you make this in a microwave without a turn table?

I think if you don't have a turn-table, you have to rotate the DCB every few minutes.

I'm at a loss...can someone tell me where to find the actual recipe for the Microwave Rocky Road Brownies. I watched the video online at PC.com but it didn't have exact recipe. I saw it in a book but now can't locate it anywhere. Thanks!!!:chef:

skmartin41 said:
I'm at a loss...can someone tell me where to find the actual recipe for the Microwave Rocky Road Brownies. I watched the video online at PC.com but it didn't have exact recipe. I saw it in a book but now can't locate it anywhere. Thanks!!!:chef:

It is in the current season's best (F/W '11). You can get it on CC in the Recipe Section...just go the Season's Bests section of the recipes. Of course, if you have the actual SB, you can look in there. :)

I have a host who's not sure if her microwave will accomodate the DCB. Can this be done in the oven?

Intrepid_Chef said:
I have a host who's not sure if her microwave will accomodate the DCB. Can this be done in the oven?

Cook the brownies as directed - for an oven recipe. (Look at a box mix, for directions, whether using the scratch cake or a box). Then the last 5-10 minutes, pull it out, add the marshmallows, chocolate chips, etc. Stick it back in and the rest will soften up as the brownies finish.

That's what I would do. It would be hard to ruin brownies and marshmallows. :D

I am usually a scratch baker but never when it comes to brownies. I've tried scratch recipes but honestly can not beat Ghiradellis triple chocolate that they sell at costco. Less than $10 for 6 batches. Other G varieties are sold in regular supermarkets.
I used to make Duncan Hines but not anymore. So gooey and chocolaty - just delicious. Haven't tried it in this recipe but will let you know.
I also find that my guests prefer that I used a mix because they then feel it is easy to duplicate. Non-bakers get a bit nervous making things from scratch (although bakers know if you can read, you can bake!)

Has anyone used cocoa instead of baking chocolate?

doughmama said:
I am usually a scratch baker but never when it comes to brownies. I've tried scratch recipes but honestly can not beat Ghiradellis triple chocolate that they sell at costco. Less than $10 for 6 batches. Other G varieties are sold in regular supermarkets.
I used to make Duncan Hines but not anymore. So gooey and chocolaty - just delicious. Haven't tried it in this recipe but will let you know.
I also find that my guests prefer that I used a mix because they then feel it is easy to duplicate. Non-bakers get a bit nervous making things from scratch (although bakers know if you can read, you can bake!)
This is why I recommend doing it from scratch. They can then SEE how easy it is to do from scratch. I often do things "the easy way" at my shows and I'm all about the quickest way to do things and that's why this excites me. Baking a brownie from scratch in 10 minutes is huge. ...well + the time to melt the marshmallows. I tell them "we could eat this right now but let's make it even better".I think the test kitchens do try to have some balance between convenience and "gourmet". Foodies want to know how to do it without mixes.

1. Can I use any type of brownie mix for these hacks?

Yes, you can use any type of brownie mix for these hacks. Whether it's a classic fudge brownie mix or a gluten-free option, the hacks will work with any type of mix.

2. How many eggs do I need to add?

The amount of eggs needed will depend on the specific brownie mix you are using. Most mixes call for 2 eggs, but be sure to check the instructions on the back of the box to confirm.

3. Do I need to make any other modifications to the brownie mix?

No, these hacks are designed to work with the standard instructions on the back of the brownie mix box. You do not need to make any other modifications to the mix.

4. Can I use a substitute for eggs in these hacks?

Yes, you can use a substitute for eggs in these hacks. Some options include applesauce, mashed banana, or a flax egg. Just be sure to follow the recommended conversion for the amount of eggs needed.

5. Are these hacks only for the fall season?

No, these hacks can be used all year round. While some of the ingredients may be more commonly associated with fall flavors, they can be enjoyed any time of the year.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krahema
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • ChefJWarren
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefJWarren
  • ChefPaulaB