• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rockcroks: Reviews & Opinion on the New DCB

In summary, the Rockcroks have been out for awhile, and the customer's opinion is that they like the DCB better. The Rockcroks take a long time to bring something to a boil, but the customer agrees that it is worth it for the lighter weight and faster cooking. There are some complaints about the black glaze being harder to keep clean, but overall the Rockcroks are liked.
DebPC
Staff member
Now that the Rockcroks have been out awhile- what's your opinion? I haven't gotten one yet. I love the DCB. Is there a big enough niche to warrant getting one? How have your sales been for them? Reviews from customers???

Not that I've sold any, but I've been using the RC everyday pan for lots of stuff I used to do in the DCB. Now the DCB is downstairs in the storage area.
The RC is soooooo much lighter than the DCB, I don't feel I'm going to break the RC lid every time I take it off, and the RC goes into the dishwasher.
I just wish it had a white glaze instead of black.

My only complaint with the RC is that it takes a very long time to bring something to a boil. I have a smooth cooktop, and the ridge under the RC means that it doesn't make direct contact with the surface. The other day I was making a soup and it was taking so long to come to a boil that I ended up putting it in the microwave.

I love both the Everyday and the Dutch Oven. I use them a couple of times a week at home, using them at shows, and selling a lot. I love that they go on the stove top, then into the oven. There's some discoloration at the bottom of the interior that I was not expecting, but going to try bar keepers friend. That's my only complaint and agree with Nancy on the extended time to bring to a boil. Good to know when demoing at a cooking party. I made the cheesy shells with sausage on Saturday. No one payed much attention to that fact though. I was answering questions etc. I sold 2 that day. I lent my DCB to my friend who's kitchen is being remodeled and all she has is a microwave. Not missing it yet. Oh, last night's dinner in the Everyday RC: pork braciole braised in olive oil with 3 cloves garlic pressed, added one full jar of Arribbiatta sauce (spicy marinara) and then moved to preheated oven at 350 covered for about 1 hour. SO GOOD!!!

liz_grinkin said:
.... some discoloration at the bottom of the interior that I was not expecting, but going to try bar keepers friend.
I finally used mine on the stovetop (worried about that whole "dry spot" business in the use & care pamphlet). It had a few spots on the interior bottom that wouldn't wash off with a scrubby sponge, nor come off with a pan scraper.
Used one of those white magic erasers, and it's looking brand new!

I can't say I'm a fan. I have the larger size, and it's not really big enough for me to do much in to justify the price. I still love my DCB WAY more, then my pots and pans for cooking. It does take a long time to bring anything to a boil. I don't think I can do a roux in it, and that would be something I would start with in this size pot. I think it's way overpriced and can't say it's been a seller in my area. I'm trying to use it more, but it's just a pot to me...nothing special and way overpriced for my use.

This isn't a spoiler, but I can tell you that, at Feast, there was quite an emphasis on getting consultants to get into their kitchens and start using their Rock Crocks for everything they cook.
Maybe sales are low?
I was spooked about the dry spots from the start. I've used the pan with good results, but it still freaks me out!
I've sold a good number of them by demoing the S'Mores cake.
After Feast, I think I'll take it out of my PC storage closet and try using it more.

ShorelineChef said:
This isn't a spoiler, but I can tell you that, at Feast, there was quite an emphasis on getting consultants to get into their kitchens and start using their Rock Crocks for everything they cook.
Maybe sales are low?
I was spooked about the dry spots from the start. I've used the pan with good results, but it still freaks me out!
I've sold a good number of them by demoing the S'Mores cake.
After Feast, I think I'll take it out of my PC storage closet and try using it more.
Hopefully they'll provide more recipes. I know we got quite a bit more than we usually do with a product...but the majority of the ones in the cards just don't appeal to me (the ones that do appeal to me have spinach and DH avoids spinach due to kidney stones, so those are out :( ).

It is probably also about us being hesitant to compete with the DCB. From a consumer standpoint, I see it as alot of money for something that I already have items in my kitchen. But yes, one pan for multiple surfaces is a nice idea, but most of my recipes dont call for taht sort of thing anyway. I use one area or another, not multiple. I guess you would just grab one pan no matter what your recipe.I dont have my RC yet...ordering this week before the samples change. They had a video given some tips in selling the rockcrok and still keeping DCB just as important, or how to work with both. Had some good tips, so look for that on CC next week. (Featured Michael Reeves and another lady that I cant remember her name).

I've been using the RockCrok for lots of things lately--especially beef vegetable soup. They're both good sizes. I must admit that I was a little leery of them at first because of the "dry spot" issue, but I've gotten over that. LOVE it!

What is the Dry-spot issue?? Where is that information?

The dry spot issue is on the stove-top only. The instructions say that the bottom should be completely covered in either food or liquid to prevent the pan from getting too hot in the places where there isn't food. They say you should add broth, oil or water to make sure you don't get these hot spots. Getting too hot without something sitting on it can damage the coating apparently.The dry spot issue has been one of my biggest reasons for not using it as well. I have the Everyday Pan and just ordered the Dutch Oven since w have until the 9th to order the samples at 50% off. I've decided I can't sell it if I don't use it. So, I'm trying to use it for my own recipes instead of a skillet, DCB or rectangle stoneware and see what happens. Last night, I browned some chicken on the stovetop, then topped it when a sauce and put it into the oven to finish baking while I made rice in the microwave. I have a few recipes that call for doing that so I'm going to try to do that in the RC rather than using two pans (I rarely put my skillet in the oven even though I know I can).I'll also try to use the RC for meals I might normally do in a crock-pot or the DCB -- either in the microwave or the oven. The other night, I did BBQ in the crockpot and it was a little dry. I thought next time, I'd put it in the RC in the oven and see how it did. Tonight, I'm making a Rachel Ray Baked Mac 'n Cheese with bacon and Brussels sprouts. I had to do the bacon in a pan on the stove, then take that out and make the cheese sauce. Then I added the bacon back in along with the par-boiled sprouts and macaroni, transferred it to a 9x13 to finish it in the oven. If I had had the Dutch Oven RC, I could have done the bacon and sauce in that and then transferred it directly to the oven for baking.I've tried a few of the recipes that came with it. My kids loved the one that you broiled at the end so that the feta got all toasted. And the one with shrimp and pasta and sherry is amazing, but time-consuming. I meant to try the rest, but forgot. :)So, I am definitely trying to find ways to make it work in my kitchen so I can tell others about it. I'm not in love with it yet the way I am my 12" skillet and DCB, but I'm trying. Oh, it does clean up like a dream. That chicken that I browned and then baked? I left the RC sitting on the stove overnight with the baked on bits of apricot preserves and chicken in it. Today, I just put hot water in it and it cleaned up like nothing had ever been on it. I was a little shocked actually.Shari in TX

I think the RockCrok has a selling feature for anyone with a cottage/trailer where storage space is at a premium because it is a one pot wonder and can go on the BBQ. Plus it isn't too heavy so anyone who is taking it back and forth won't mind so much. I have just ordered mine so I am hoping to use it lots, demo great recipes and sell more. My husband is actually excited to get it, and has practically sold one to his brother just by talking about it. My sister-in-law is due to host another show.

I just can't see spending so much of my hard-earned money on one, especially since I know I can't fit it under my broiler.

I was hesitant at first, but LOVE the new recipes to show it off in the Season's Best. Especially ones that use it on the stovetop. I've been using the Veggie Ribbon Pasta and the Berry Crisp which move it from the stovetop to the broiler or microwave, and cleanup is a breeze. I didn't think last season's recipes really showed it off but these do. Selling at least one or two at every show! I always demo two recipes and the other one features the DCB or RCB.

For stovetop use, I am not impressed yet. I've only used it a few times so far, but it takes so long to get warm, compared to my cookware (also PC). I used it in the oven once...my pot pie boiled over and made a HUGE mess (I think I was 5 minutes away from fire...it was SO smoky)...but that wasn't the RCs fault necessarily (I was using the 4qt). But so far, not loving it. I need to find more recipes to cook in it. Haven't been keen on the last two Season's Best recipes offered yet. Still holding our reservation. :) LOVE my DCB and cookware though.

Oh my gosh! People! The Rockcrok is amazing and I've sold several. I do have to say that when I earned the Everday Pan last Fall, I wasn't impressed. I mean, good grief, we already had the Magic Pot! Mine set in its box for six weeks until I decided I had to try it. I mean customers would be asking me what I thought. I used it everyday for a week....not because I had to but because after doing a roast in it I was incredibly impressed. I mean 5 minutes prep time - stuffing with garlic, seasoning with salt and pepper, browning on the stove top and then into the oven. It was the most succulent roast I've ever baked! So the next day I tried a different recipe and then another and then another. I didn't even have time to find a place for it in my cabinets. I just washed it and put it on top of the stove. A while back I uploaded a recipe book I put together. I've come up with tons of other things to do in it since then. I ended up buying the 4 qt. as well. The DCB used to be my go to pot for chicken in the microwave but now its the Rockcrok. I will say that the first time I did a chicken in it, I placed it breast up. I found that the white meat wasn't as moist as in the DCB. So the next time I used the Rockcrok, I placed it breast down. Voila! Just as tender in the DCB. Just try using it more often. And over season!! You can't just put a little bit of seasoing in it. You'll love the results. Although, I do have a gas stove so I understand concerns about the length of time to brings things to a boil. However, once hot, the Rockcrok stays hot a lot longer. I've found that when making gravy in either Rockcrok, that even when I turn off the gas, the mixture continues to boil for a few minutes. It's wonderful! Hope you guys find a way to love it too. I have found that however impressed I am with a product, the more my customers want it. So it's really in your best interest to find a way to like it.

Noticed that too, on a gas stove things keep cooking in the rockcrok like regular pans do on an electric stove.
(Which actually I don't like; one reason I prefer gas)
But I do like the rockcrok since it's lightweight compared to the DCB, and goes in the dishwasher.

ShellBeach said:
Not that I've sold any, but I've been using the RC everyday pan for lots of stuff I used to do in the DCB. Now the DCB is downstairs in the storage area.
The RC is soooooo much lighter than the DCB, I don't feel I'm going to break the RC lid every time I take it off, and the RC goes into the dishwasher.
I just wish it had a white glaze instead of black.
New here… what is a DCB?

DebPC said:
Now that the Rockcroks have been out awhile- what's your opinion? I haven't gotten one yet. I love the DCB. Is there a big enough niche to warrant getting one? How have your sales been for them? Reviews from customers???
Love, love, love my rockcroks!

1. What is the Rockcrok and how is it different from other cookware?

The Rockcrok is a versatile, all-in-one cookware piece made by Pampered Chef. It is made from a unique combination of natural and man-made materials, including clay, which allows it to withstand high heat and go from stovetop to oven to table. It also features a non-stick surface and is dishwasher safe, making it easier to clean than traditional cookware.

2. What types of dishes can I make in the Rockcrok?

The Rockcrok can be used to make a variety of dishes, including casseroles, soups, stews, pasta, and even desserts. It is also great for grilling, roasting, and sautéing meats and vegetables.

3. Is the Rockcrok safe to use in the oven?

Yes, the Rockcrok is safe to use in the oven up to 550°F. It is also safe to use on the stovetop, in the microwave, and on the grill.

4. Can I use metal utensils with the Rockcrok?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils with the Rockcrok as it may damage the non-stick surface. It is best to use silicone or wooden utensils when cooking with the Rockcrok.

5. How do I clean and care for my Rockcrok?

Cleaning the Rockcrok is easy as it is dishwasher safe. If hand washing, use warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on the Rockcrok. To maintain its non-stick surface, it is best to avoid using cooking sprays and to lightly coat the surface with oil before each use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• marystell1
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
marystell1
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cheflorraine